Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Re Jerusalem..... I wonder what the US Secret Service thinks of the announcement.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:23 pm

I don't know anything about the real estate market in Jerusalem, but you do have to wonder how much room/land for sale there is to build an embassy.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:39 pm

The United States already owns the land, has for a long time.

All the particulars for this were figured out back in the 90's when it first passed Congress and was signed into law by Bill Clinton.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

I thought all they were doing was changing the sign on wall.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/jerusalem ... s-embassy/

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:02 pm

As is noted in the year old story both are true.
All you did was confirm what I wrote. That the U.S. plans on changing one of the consular buildings into the embassy, as a temporary measure, and building a new one onr land they own.

Also, here is a good read on why, outside of the terrorists of Hamas no one in the Arab world really cares about it.

https://twitter.com/shadihamid/status/9 ... 6059569153

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Congressional Democrats said Wednesday they have evidence from a confidential whistleblower that within minutes of President Donald Trump's inauguration, then-national security adviser Michael Flynn sent assurances to former business partners that a plan to build nuclear reactors across the Middle East was "good to go."

Democrats on the House oversight committee said in a letter dated Wednesday that the whistleblower reported attending an inauguration day event with Flynn's former business associate Alex Copson, the managing partner of ACU Strategic Partners.

The whistleblower said Copson gushed that Trump's inauguration was "the best day of my life" because it meant his company's effort to create a U.S.-Russia energy partnership in the Middle East, which reportedly would have included more than two dozen nuclear plants in the region, was moving forward.

Then, as Trump delivered his inaugural address, the whistleblower said Copson flipped his phone around to reveal a text message he said came from Flynn describing the nuclear reactor project as "good to go." According to the account, the whistleblower didn't see the substance of the text but recalled seeing a 12:11 p.m. timestamp. At that time, Flynn was on the dais during Trump's speech.

"Our committee has credible allegations that President Trump's National Security Advisor sought to manipulate the course of international nuclear policy for the financial gain of his former business partners," Rep. Elijah Cummings, the top Democrat on the House oversight committee, said in the letter to Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.). "These grave allegations compel a full, credible, and bipartisan congressional investigation."

The whistleblower also said Copson said Obama-era sanctions, which he claimed threatened the nuclear project, would be "ripped up."
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... wer-282070
In other articles I read about this, this information was given to Mueller's team who did an investigation. They asked Cummings to keep this under wraps until complete. Also, they were pushing the House investigations to pursue this, but were obstructed. If anything, it seems unlikely to me that this was the only charge that they would have been able to prosecute on Flynn and this is bad for other administration members,

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Plea bargains are about exercising maximum leverage. At this stage, Mueller's strongest play is in the pre-charging phase for Flynn, because he's concerned about his son as well as his own hide. Former federal prosecutors have said they think Mueller's gambit here is a bit odd, because right now all you're doing to agreeing that your star witness is an admitted liar. So I'm wondering what else Mueller is getting from Flynn, and if it might be something where the investigation can produce any indictments or recommendations to Congress without the need to put Flynn under oath.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:24 pm

I read Preet's take, and he said something like, this being the only charge for Flynn might also indicate that this was the only charge Mueller could get to stick.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Two good reads on why the decision on Jerusalem was a good one.

https://twitter.com/benjaminhaddad/stat ... 2065899521

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:42 pm

I read Preet's take, and he said something like, this being the only charge for Flynn might also indicate that this was the only charge Mueller could get to stick.
Entirely possible, yes. But if that were the case, I'm not sure Flynn would've copped a plea and agreed to help.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:44 pm

re: Deutsche Bank

Keep in mind that Preet went after them...
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/ma ... conveyance

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Kentucky Top Court to Consider Shop's Refusal to Print Gay Pride T-Shirts
http://reason.com/blog/2017/12/06/kentu ... hops-refus

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:43 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 pm

There's no way he can stay. He's damaged goods, and getting him out is part of a (cynical) larger strategy that I think the Dems are working with regard to Moore.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 pm

Czech Republic to follow Trump's lead

https://twitter.com/williamcrawley/stat ... 1192020992

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Dems. strategy. Dems...strategy.

nah...that doesn't sound right.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm

I don't know why the Democrats wouldn't push Franken out. Yeah, he'd gotten a somewhat higher profile (in a positive way) earlier this year with his performance in some of the hearings, but Minnesota has a Democrat governor, so they don't really lose anything in terms of the balance of power in the Senate. And they get to be seen as taking a stand against this sort of behavior while the Republicans are busy trying to elect a guy who likes them in 14-16 year-old range. It may hurt Franken personally, but it seems like a no-brainer for the party.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:04 pm

There's no way he can stay. He's damaged goods, and getting him out is part of a (cynical) larger strategy that I think the Dems are working with regard to Moore.
...what would that be?

Re: the discussion earlier today re Trump and "allegations", the guy admitted to forcing himself on women. I don't think there is much mystery there, but this gets back to the fact that a GOP-controlled Congress nor GOP voters (as the election bore out) would ever do something about Trump on this basis, and Trump would like likewise never resign, so it doesn't matter.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 pm

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6271.html

Average of the polls has Moore up by 2 pts. I thought the spread was bigger to be honest, but that most recent poll from the 4th is big -- 7pts up.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 pm

...what would that be?
Forcing their hand on expelling Moore once he's seated (presuming he wins). I've heard more than one talking head schmoe express this today, and I'm not sure it's a sound way forward. Both in terms of the politics, and in terms of the broader discussion about harassment.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Why on Earth would they expel Moore

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:16 pm

I'm 100% in favor of this.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/ar ... tate-lines
The bill, which the National Rifle Association has called its top legislative priority, would treat concealed carry permits more like drivers licenses, authorizing gun owners to travel with their firearms to other states that allow concealed carry. They say the measure would help otherwise law-abiding gun owners to avoid unwittingly violating conflicting state laws.
H.R. 38 passed the House 231–198.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Why on Earth would they expel Moore
Don't ask me, I just work here. I'm not even sure the play is actually to get Moore out (all that would do is allow the governor to appoint another replacement and schedule another special election), or just give Democrats a cudgel.