Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:27 am

I think he's just exposed how shameless conservative media is. They generally present his message without critique, and generally repackage it in a more palatable way. This message is then sent to the "both sides" champions like Jake Tapper who present it like "Trump says X, democrats say Y".

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:51 am

The Q'iac poll last week was interesting in that regard. The only D candidate where Trump's numbers were noticeably denuded was Biden. All the other candidates, DJT was at 41 or 42. Against Biden he dropped to 40. Admittedly, that isn't much, but some were seeing it as evidence of a fracturing of those Blue Wall type supporters jumping ship in that particular matchup.

And that's a trend that's emerging as a consistent feature in all of the polls: Not only does Biden enjoy the most support of any D candidate, he seems to do so by peeling off voters from Trumplandia.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:55 pm

So do we have an intersection of the First and Fifth here, Shyster?
I can receive the info according to the first, but since the FEC declares that as a campaign violation can I also refuse to inform the FBI because it would incriminate myself?
The 5th only applies in a setting of which you were charged with a crime. You could not use it to nullify a duty to inform in another setting. The FBI is not a tribunal so I can not think of a circumstance where anyone could invoke the 5th against them in an investigation. The Miranda right to remain silent may be more applicable, but that requires custody.
I'm not sure that is correct. For example, in Haynes v. United States, 390 U.S. 85 (1968), Haynes was a convicted felon (who thus couldn't own firearms) who was convicted of failing to register a firearm in his possession under the National Firearms Act of 1934 (presumably something like a sawed-off shotgun). The Court held that because Haynes was a convicted felon and prohibited from owning a firearm, requiring him to register was essentially requiring him to make an open admission to the government that he was in violation of the law. The Court thus held that the registration requirement violated Haynes' right not to incriminate himself under the Fifth Amendment. Haynes continues to this day to block state prosecutions of criminals who fail to register guns as required by state-law gun-registration schemes. I do not believe the government can force someone to voluntarily disclose information that would on its face also implicate that person in a crime.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:38 pm

I say with all sincerity that case is now jostling for the lead, in my mind, of the worst SCOTUS case decisions in history, up there with Kelo and Lochner. Although you may enjoy the outcome they seem to have missed the point entirely. Alas, thanks for bringing it to my attention as it is the only instance I've ever seen of that clause being applied in that way, and I've looked. As I was reading it, the issue seemed more to be of the double jeopardy variety but, nope, they doubled down and said neither conviction could stand. Just staggeringly silly, imo.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:48 pm

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:42 pm

:lol:

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Looking forward to Tom Hanks playing him which also connects back to The Burbs.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:17 pm

What are their hits?

“What About Trump”

“Tragic Man”

“All I Wanna Do Is Make War With You”

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:38 pm

A post on Reddit a while back mentioned how the one on the right looks like the germ in the mucinex commercial.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:32 pm

.@FoxNews Polls are always bad for me. They were against Crooked Hillary also. Something weird going on at Fox. Our polls show us leading in all 17 Swing States. For the record, I didn’t spend 30 hours with @abcnews, but rather a tiny fraction of that. More Fake News @BretBaier

:scared:

Oh yeah, this guy will go quietly if he loses 2020

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Lol always bad for me

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 pm

.@FoxNews Polls are always bad for me. They were against Crooked Hillary also. Something weird going on at Fox. Our polls show us leading in all 17 Swing States. For the record, I didn’t spend 30 hours with @abcnews, but rather a tiny fraction of that. More Fake News @BretBaier

I read somewhere that there is a groundswell for him to serve more than two terms.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:59 pm

He'll go but it will be ugly.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15 pm

I wish a major network would report that his farts smell bad, just to see if he tweets that they are the best smelling farts in history, many experts agree.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:32 pm

He made the hand/dick comment so yeah. Nothing new here. We all know he's terrible, blah, blah, blah.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:31 am

He'll cry voter interference for sure if he loses, but he won't be the first Republican or Democrat to do so. But we aren't a third world country where he's digging in and not leaving. I can't believe that's a real thought, well I can because people, but I've never considered anyone here crazy enough to think that.

Also he isn't the first to probably think more than two terms. If and when he publicly says we should do that, Congress, both sides, will have a good chuckle and move on.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:42 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mitch-mcc ... ation-fund

Mitch McConnell is a class A dadhole

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:46 am

Next week ICE will begin the process of removing the millions of illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into the United States. They will be removed as fast as they come in. Mexico, using their strong immigration laws, is doing a very good job of stopping people...........long before they get to our Southern Border. Guatemala is getting ready to sign a Safe-Third Agreement. The only ones who won’t do anything are the Democrats in Congress. They must vote to get rid of the loopholes, and fix asylum! If so, Border Crisis will end quickly!

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:00 am

I'm against vaping as much as the next person but this is lame:
A school district is fed up with ‘epidemic’ vaping. Now it will randomly test students for nicotine.
So one small Nebraska school district is trying an aggressive new approach: Forcing students in grades seven through 12 to submit to random nicotine testing if they want to take part in extracurricular activities such as speech competitions and the National Honor Society.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... 39b8707d40

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:53 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mitch-mcc ... ation-fund

Mitch McConnell is a class A dadhole
McConnell pocked the bear with that one.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/media/jo ... index.html

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:04 am

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 am

He'll cry voter interference for sure if he loses, but he won't be the first Republican or Democrat to do so. But we aren't a third world country where he's digging in and not leaving. I can't believe that's a real thought, well I can because people, but I've never considered anyone here crazy enough to think that.

Also he isn't the first to probably think more than two terms. If and when he publicly says we should do that, Congress, both sides, will have a good chuckle and move on.
Positive about that? I think these thoughts from 'people' about him trying to stay, will happen as long as one side of Congress lets it happen. As of right now, this seems to be a moment in history where one side is trying to preserve and protect an entire party instead of doing what's potentially best for the country.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:01 am

A post on Reddit a while back mentioned how the one on the right looks like the germ in the mucinex commercial.
That's literally all I can see now.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 am

from where i sit, this seems like a formality that congress passes every year, after trying to extract as much value from it as a pawn as possible - which typically makes it a last minute situation.

i'm not exactly sure what stewart is up to. i think using good faith initiatives as currency to get your own unrelated filth through legislation is one of the worst parts of our government, but in this case, i ultimately expect the funds to keep coming for the first responders.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:24 am

He's advocating for people that shouldn't have to deal with the dysfunction of congress.

One thing that I've had to pay attention to recently is the constant short term, deadline extensions of the national flood insurance program. This is something that impacts the operations of banks and insurance agencies across the country. We have industry lobbyists sending us updates and keeping us apprised of all the developments. And this is just so we know what to do on the expiration date, depending on if it's extended or lapses. Imagine having to deal with that routine around whether or not you get your cancer treatment covered.