Politics And Current Events

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:12 pm

The judge in the Roger Stone trial has order a new hearing. Yesterday while under gag order, Roger Stone posted a photo of said judge and crosshairs.....whatta dope.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 pm

Also someone on Twitter dug up an old John Wayne interview from Playboy in 1971.

https://twitter.com/pixelpreaching/stat ... 52641?s=21

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:45 pm

The judge in the Roger Stone trial has order a new hearing. Yesterday while under gag order, Roger Stone posted a photo of said judge and crosshairs.....whatta dope.
Apparently, that image was circulating on pro-Russia website too. I guess he could be getting his wish of prison time.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:57 pm

It's so exhausting
Yes....yes it is.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Also someone on Twitter dug up an old John Wayne interview from Playboy in 1971.

https://twitter.com/pixelpreaching/stat ... 52641?s=21
Yeah, I thought it was pretty commonly known that he was a huge dadhole. That being said, I still enjoy his movies and will continue to enjoy them.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:56 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/us/p ... e=Homepage
An examination by The New York Times reveals the extent of an even more sustained, more secretive assault by Mr. Trump on the machinery of federal law enforcement. Interviews with dozens of current and former government officials and others close to Mr. Trump, as well as a review of confidential White House documents, reveal numerous unreported episodes in a two-year drama.
You know it's bad when you don't even need a whattaboutism to make your point.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:07 pm

One of Mr. Trump’s lawyers also reached out that summer to the attorneys for two of his former aides — Paul J. Manafort and Mr. Flynn — to discuss possible pardons. The discussions raised questions about whether the president was willing to offer pardons to influence their decisions about whether to plead guilty and cooperate in the Mueller investigation.
Probably shouldn't forget this nugget.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Shrug

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:53 pm

So, I guess this means no Gay Camps in the United States?
NEW: Exclusive: Trump admin. launches global campaign to end the criminalization of homosexuality in dozens of nations where it's still illegal to be gay, US officials tell @NBCNews, a bid aimed in part at denouncing Iran over its human rights record.
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1097905513394774016

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:54 pm

I wonder how that will go over in the Saudi Arabia.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:56 pm

They gonna close this place?

https://www.campcamp.com/

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Two things can be true:

1) Brexit was the right call, for lots of legitimate reasons.

2) Brexit has been handled insanely poorly, maybe even intentionally so, and it is bringing bad effects with it.
Or one other thing can be true independent of those two options: Brexit was a cockamamie farce of an idea from the off.

The merits of the UK leaving the EU is something up for good faith debate. But it is absolutely not the kind of consequential decision that should be up to voters, and certainly not a mere 50%+1 majority of them. If the same vote were held today, 'Remain' would win by close to 20 points. The people quite literally had no idea what they were getting themselves into, and I'm sure the Boris Johnsons and Nigel Farages of the world understood that quite well.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:12 pm

NEW: Exclusive: Trump admin. launches global campaign to end the criminalization of homosexuality in dozens of nations where it's still illegal to be gay, US officials tell @NBCNews, a bid aimed in part at denouncing Iran over its human rights record.
I could have sworn that Trump was going to end LGBT rights as we know them in the US. At least, that's what Twitter and the media told me would happen.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:13 pm

They gonna close this place?

https://www.campcamp.com/
Thanks, that's in my browser history now :)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Seems like a huge deal.
Report: Trump asked Whitaker to appoint ally to lead Cohen probe
https://www.axios.com/trump-matthew-whi ... 15dfe.html
President Trump late last year called acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker to ask whether a Trump-appointed attorney could be "unrecused" and lead the Southern District of New York's investigation into hush money payments during the 2016 election, the New York Times reports.
Whitaker during the public hearing:
Here's the full quote from Whitaker to the House: "At no time has the White House asked for nor have I provided any promises or commitments concerning the special counsel investigation or any other investigation."

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:14 pm

I could have sworn that Trump was going to end LGBT rights as we know them in the US. At least, that's what Twitter and the media told me would happen.
Shhhhhhh Kavanaugh has to overturn RvW first...

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:15 pm

Well, the Transgender ban in the military would like a word with you.
It's also part of lining up opposition to Iran. If you don't want to overthrow their government at the least, but preferably turn it into a glass field now you'll be anti-LGBT. Here he's doing the right thing, but I question his motives.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Shhhhhhh Kavanaugh has to overturn RvW first...
Took a nice stand on it in his dissent from hearing the Louisiana case :pop:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:17 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... or-n973256
Lawmakers from four House and Senate committees who oversee the department sent a letter to DeVos Tuesday, suggesting the effort to replace the department’s acting Inspector General, Sandra Bruce, had been related to her duties in overseeing the probe of DeVos’s decision to reinstate ACICS, an accreditor that had been stripped of its certification by the Obama administration.
Too much corruption to keep track of.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Two things can be true:

1) Brexit was the right call, for lots of legitimate reasons.

2) Brexit has been handled insanely poorly, maybe even intentionally so, and it is bringing bad effects with it.
Or one other thing can be true independent of those two options: Brexit was a cockamamie farce of an idea from the off.

The merits of the UK leaving the EU is something up for good faith debate. But it is absolutely not the kind of consequential decision that should be up to voters, and certainly not a mere 50%+1 majority of them. If the same vote were held today, 'Remain' would win by close to 20 points. The people quite literally had no idea what they were getting themselves into, and I'm sure the Boris Johnsons and Nigel Farages of the world understood that quite well.
I'm not sure having a Remainer as Prime Minister, and a cabinet made up of mostly Remainers, and having Brexit negotiated by mainly Remainers is a recipe for Brexit success.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Seems like a huge deal.
President Trump late last year called acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker to ask whether a Trump-appointed attorney could be "unrecused" and lead the Southern District of New York's investigation into hush money payments during the 2016 election, the New York Times reports.
Here's the full quote from Whitaker to the House: "At no time has the White House asked for nor have I provided any promises or commitments concerning the special counsel investigation or any other investigation."
Yeah, but Trump totally denied it, so fake news.

But really, there has been such voluminous reporting on this story it's nearly impossible to keep it all straight in one's head. And that seems to benefit Trump, as he can just deny the specific important detail of this story and move on to something else. So while in this moment, we are only talking about this tiny little morsel that doesn't have any concrete verification, it is fully consistent with the wider story being constructed. I think we should also be more attune to the petty corruption of this administration as opposed to the secret agent nonsense. The issue at hand is always the financial grift, not the McCabe counter-intelligence crap. that's why this Saudi story is way more important and needs to push the McCabe book tour off the air.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Seems like a huge deal.
i feel like if any of these news bits came out during any normal presidency, we'd be like oh sht that isn't good, he's probably in trouble. But this time, each one's like well, yeah, not great, but can't really prove anything.. we'll just wait until we have video of Trump and Putin making out.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:39 pm

I'm not sure having a Remainer as Prime Minister, and a cabinet made up of mostly Remainers, and having Brexit negotiated by mainly Remainers is a recipe for Brexit success.
I'm not sure having a Brexit is a recipe for Brexit success.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:44 pm

I think we should also be more attune to the petty corruption of this administration as opposed to the secret agent nonsense. The issue at hand is always the financial grift, not the McCabe counter-intelligence crap. that's why this Saudi story is way more important and needs to push the McCabe book tour off the air.
The issues financial grift and the secret agent goings on are largely interrelated and cannot always be looked at in a vacuum separated from each other. The grift is in large part the 'why' behind counter-intel stuff.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:48 pm

I think we should also be more attune to the petty corruption of this administration as opposed to the secret agent nonsense. The issue at hand is always the financial grift, not the McCabe counter-intelligence crap. that's why this Saudi story is way more important and needs to push the McCabe book tour off the air.
The issues financial grift and the secret agent goings on are largely interrelated and cannot always be looked at in a vacuum separated from each other. The grift is in large part the 'why' behind counter-intel stuff.
My thinking is that if you get micro-focused on whether or not Trump is a Putin plant, your ignoring the objective facts pointing to Trump, Kushner, Flynn and Barrack putting the US foreign policy up for sale.