Politics And Current Events

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:29 pm

Don't feel bad for her. **** her.

You have a weapon that can end someone's life. Either exercise caution or get ****.

You've never made a colossal **** up? I've come close a few times and don't wish that experience on anyone. People will make mistakes.
Last edited by faftorial on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:31 pm

Oh...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:32 pm

Oh...

Keep us updated on this. We all hate corruption.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:46 pm

This would seem to be bad for Gaetz

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:05 pm

Don't feel bad for her. **** her.

You have a weapon that can end someone's life. Either exercise caution or get ****.

You've never made a colossal **** up? I've come close a few times and don't wish that experience on anyone. People will make mistakes.
I **** up all the time. Usually doesn't result in other people being dead.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:05 pm

You remember Jacob Blake?

Cop was cleared and is back on duty. Great job all the hucksters who burned Kenosha.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:01 am

I feel bad for her

If someone texted while driving and killed someone I’d feel bad for them too. That doesn’t excuse them

We all have to admit it’s unfortunate circumstances. I doubt she’s a cold blooded killer like Chauvin. We’ve discussed how she’s cut from a different cloth. I previously said her life is effectively ruined as she’ll always be known as the cop that killed a black man 10 miles from the Chauvin trial accidentally. It sucks. It all sucks

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 am

In my opinion what she did isn't apples to apples with texting and driving. She's an officer of 26 years, she should absolutely know whether she has her taser or pistol in her hand. She might not have known but if you text and drive you should already know what you're doing is wrong and could result in a wreck or worse.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:00 am

@CBear3 They finally released what the warrant was for. He was wanted for an armed robbery where he held a fire arm to a girl and choked her for $820 of cash that she had. He was arrested for that but was out on $100K bail and failed to show up to court or report to his parol officer. He ran into law enforcement again in June of 2020 and was being arrested for this warrant as well as carrying an illegal firearm again and got away.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/daunte-wrigh ... was-killed

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 am

In my opinion what she did isn't apples to apples with texting and driving. She's an officer of 26 years, she should absolutely know whether she has her taser or pistol in her hand. She might not have known but if you text and drive you should already know what you're doing is wrong and could result in a wreck or worse.
Yeah, I think it's a bad analology. If you want to stay in the same realm, I think her's was more having a good driving record for 26 years and one day a car pulls out in front of you and you panic hitting the gas instead of the break and killing that person.

Texting while driving is more like Chauvin in that he knew he was doing something dangerous and wrong, and didn't care and continued to do it.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 am

Yeah, I think it's a bad analology. If you want to stay in the same realm, I think her's was more having a good driving record for 26 years and one day a car pulls out in front of you and you panic hitting the gas instead of the break and killing that person.

Texting while driving is more like Chauvin in that he knew he was doing something dangerous and wrong, and didn't care and continued to do it.
I don’t think there’s any analogy. My mother was an officer for 30 years. Mistaking your gun for a taser just doesn’t happen. If her brain did somehow mistake it there’s a fitness for duty issue.

A good officer sets their gun belt in a way that has their service weapon on one side and the taser on the other. There’s no mistaking unsnapping and drawing your service weapon with your taser.

Involuntary manslaughter and negligence is probably the case here. Rightly so. A person is dead because the professional in this case was unfit to do their job.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 am

@CBear3 They finally released what the warrant was for. He was wanted for an armed robbery where he held a fire arm to a girl and choked her for $820 of cash that she had. He was arrested for that but was out on $100K bail and failed to show up to court or report to his parol officer. He ran into law enforcement again in June of 2020 and was being arrested for this warrant as well as carrying an illegal firearm again and got away.

Incoming, “he was a bad guy so whatevs.” from all conservatives and people looking to justify.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:37 am

Tired: don’t run from the police if you don’t want to get shot

Wired: don’t run from the police because it’s likely that they’re completely incompetent and something bad will happen which will be entirely their fault but you’ll be dead nonetheless.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:08 am

Tired: don’t run from the police if you don’t want to get shot

Wired: don’t run from the police because it’s likely that they’re completely incompetent and something bad will happen which will be entirely their fault but you’ll be dead nonetheless.
I think the onus is on both.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:11 am

Incoming, “he was a bad guy so whatevs.” from all conservatives and people looking to justify.
There is no reason whatsoever to justify the death. Cbear asked yesterday what the warrant was for. I think to see if this was a "legit" warrant if you will, or if it was the case of a kid getting pulled over for expired tags and was getting arrested for previously having a little baggy of weed.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:19 am

People excusing this away seem to have a complete loss of perspective. They seem to think that police have no responsibility at all to know and use their weapons systems correctly. Ignoring that those fundamental proficiencies are rooted in training and practice (in this case over 26 years) and are the baseline requirements you have to achieve in exchange for being given the elevated responsibility and authority to use force against citizens. These officers should be (but sadly, are not) held to a higher standard. The same way other state actors like judges have a special trust and confidence.

Imagine if a citizen panics and accidentally shoots a cop during a no-knock raid. A citizen with no LEO training or even awareness of the situation. They're arrested, if not killed, immediately. This woman 'confused' a pistol with a taser, items on opposite sides of the service belt and purposefully different ergonomics to prevent this exact thing, and now people like MWB who normally have well reasoned stances are just "Leave her alone! The guilt of being a colossal **** up is punishment enough!" Bad optics aside I don't view this through the lens of Chauvin. It's a person that made an incredibly negligent blundering mistake that they were explicitly trained not to make. Prosecute.
Normally, given the negligence/recklessness of it I might say let the civil court handle it. But we can't, because of qualified immunity. So, in lieu of that remedy, Prosecute.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:28 am

word

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:30 am

People excusing this away seem to have a complete loss of perspective. They seem to think that police have no responsibility at all to know and use their weapons systems correctly. Ignoring that those fundamental proficiencies are rooted in training and practice (in this case over 26 years) and are the baseline requirements you have to achieve in exchange for being given the elevated responsibility and authority to use force against citizens. These officers should be (but sadly, are not) held to a higher standard. The same way other state actors like judges have a special trust and confidence.

Imagine if a citizen panics and accidentally shoots a cop during a no-knock raid. A citizen with no LEO training or even awareness of the situation. They're arrested, if not killed, immediately. This woman 'confused' a pistol with a taser, items on opposite sides of the service belt and purposefully different ergonomics to prevent this exact thing, and now people like MWB who normally have well reasoned stances are just "Leave her alone! The guilt of being a colossal **** up is punishment enough!" Bad optics aside I don't view this through the lens of Chauvin. It's a person that made an incredibly negligent blundering mistake that they were explicitly trained not to make. Prosecute.
Normally, given the negligence/recklessness of it I might say let the civil court handle it. But we can't, because of qualified immunity. So, in lieu of that remedy, Prosecute.
yeah, i don't love my texting and driving analogy, but here's a situation where a person is wielding a deadly instrument, and has full training and awareness of how to use it and the damage it can do. but there's this super casual incident where they go on auto\pilot, forgetting the instrument they're wielding can kill someone and do something insanely irresponsible.

her mistake wasn't a brain fart. it was that she lost touch with her unique ability to kill someone with her work-issued equipment. if that was at the forefront of her mind, she would have tased him. but she lost the thread and killed him instead.

no malice, but also no innocence

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:32 am

I think there is a difference between having empathy, and excusing it away.

I agree, officers should be held at a higher standard, and should be prosecuted. Involuntary manslaughter or something. This isn't your typical case where the kid was already in the car driving away and some officer unloads the clip on him. I think it was truly a mistake. You can tell by her actions afterward.

And that's where I feel the empathy. But if she has to go to prison, it very well may be the right call. But I do feel for her in this one. I disagree with Freddy, KC, and some others where the book should be thrown at her and she is garbage. But I also don't feel it should be viewed as a woopsie and let's all move on.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:42 am

I don't disagree with that NAN, that's why murder comes in degrees. If I could wave my hand and speed this to sentencing I'd put her down for something along the lines of second degree manslaughter and give her a penalty above the norm of 5 years and closer to the max of 10 because of the aggravating factor of her being trained explicitly not to do this and violating that special trust.

I'd RATHER her be nailed in a civil trial and have her pay restitution to the family for the rest of her life. That would be both helpful to the family, and a permanent reminder of her act. But the doors to the court house are closed, so, Prosecute.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:46 am

I think overall, the societal tolerance we have for incompetent policing is disturbing. There are countless other professions, that through incompetence, can cause direct harm to individuals. People in those positions are not granted the sort of immunity from negligence, bad decisions, and incompetence that cops are afforded. And this is saying nothing about the occasions where police are clearly acting with malice.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:55 am

People in all kinds of corporate negligence cases (see Purdue Pharma) get off scot-free all the time.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:02 am

I'd RATHER her be nailed in a civil trial and have her pay restitution to the family for the rest of her life. That would be both helpful to the family, and a permanent reminder of her act. But the doors to the court house are closed, so, Prosecute.
how do civil cases like this work? the restitution will likely be more money than she has so does the police department or city have to foot the bill?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:04 am

how do civil cases like this work? the restitution will likely be more money than she has so does the police department or city have to foot the bill?
If they were named defendants in the suit. Otherwise, no.

Her wages would be garnished and she'd effectively pay a stipend for the rest of her life. They'd work out a payment plan with the court and she'd pay some above-nominal but not crippling amount until the restitution is satisfied or she dies. I wouldn't be in favor of selling off all of her assets (like OJ and his civil suit) but that's also a potential outcome.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:06 am

I think overall, the societal tolerance we have for incompetent policing is disturbing. There are countless other professions, that through incompetence, can cause direct harm to individuals. People in those positions are not granted the sort of immunity from negligence, bad decisions, and incompetence that cops are afforded. And this is saying nothing about the occasions where police are clearly acting with malice.
It's difficult. What some people view as incompentence for the police can also be viewed as necessary. The Jacob Blake situation is one of those.

Officers are put in situations where it can be their life as well. There are countless officers killed every year where they approach what seems like an "ordinary" situation and wind up dead as well. They are trained, and definitely should be held at a higher standard. But they are also constantly going into situation where there is no standard rule book.

I guess what I'm saying is, what is your definition of incompentency for an officer, because just from the small sample size from this board, that definition has a broad range.