Politics And Current Events

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm

Biden announce his gun stuff today pretty much cements me thinking he's going to lose 2024 if Trump sticks around.
if you're gonna go after gun policy, do it 3 and a half years before the election. let people see that there was no slippery slope and that life simply continues to be better with a non-maniac at the helm.
The fear that's going to be generated for years because of this, is going to be front and center for republicans, and democrats that believe in 2A. It's something that's going to be tied up in the courts that generates, funding, etc. Just not gonna be easy, I'd imagine.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:03 pm

Biden announce his gun stuff today pretty much cements me thinking he's going to lose 2024 if Trump sticks around.
Well...

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:03 pm

I don't know. He is going after "ghost guns" which are kits that you can send to people to build their own guns w/o serial numbers, etc.

I think shmenguin said it, do this early. It could be taking a step in the right direction in getting illegal type guns harder to obtain while also showing they aren't coming to your door to steal your guns. People will forget in a few years. I always say they have short memories.

Honestly, I'm a gun guy, but I think this is a good move IMO.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:05 pm

can someone high-level explain the legality and enforceability of executive actions? I never understood them vs. going through congress

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:15 pm

I don't know. He is going after "ghost guns" which are kits that you can send to people to build their own guns w/o serial numbers, etc.

I think shmenguin said it, do this early. It could be taking a step in the right direction in getting illegal type guns harder to obtain while also showing they aren't coming to your door to steal your guns. People will forget in a few years. I always say they have short memories.

He's going after pistol build ARs and Pistol Braces, which means I may now have to register with the NFA on something that was previously legal. It's just the first step in "give an inch and take a mile."

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:18 pm

Well...

This no background check is dented head logic. He must be referencing rifle sales or something that don't require it. Every purchase I've made at a gun show has required a background check. It's the same exact process if I were to go to an actual store.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:19 pm

I've bought a rifle at a gun show in Pennsylvania that required it. Has something changed or is that just a state law?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:22 pm

The gun industry at the moment:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:38 pm

I'm not sure how the firearms industry could sell more than they already do.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:40 pm

Gaetz associate likely to strike plea deal with prosecutors in sex trafficking case
An associate of Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) who had been charged with sex trafficking of a minor and was suspected of connecting the congressmen to women with whom he could have sex is in plea negotiations to resolve the allegations against him, according to his lawyer and a prosecutor on the case, a potentially ominous sign for Gaetz if the associate ultimately cooperates with prosecutors in a bid for leniency.

Joel Greenberg, the former tax collector for Seminole County, Fla., had first been charged last summer in a bare-bones indictment that prosecutors repeatedly superseded to add charges of sex trafficking of a minor, stealing from the tax office and even trying to use fraud to get covid-19 relief money while out on bond. In the course of the investigation into his conduct, people familiar with the matter have said, federal authorities came across evidence that Gaetz might have committed a crime and launched a separate investigation into him.

At a status conference in the case Thursday, federal prosecutor Roger Handberg told a judge he expected the case to end in a plea, though negotiations are ongoing. Fritz Scheller, an attorney for Greenberg, asked the judge to set a deadline of May 15 for the two sides to either reach a deal, or move toward a trial in the summer.
Didn't notice this before, but WaPo is filing these stories under the 'National Security' topic.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:40 pm

He's going after pistol build ARs and Pistol Braces, which means I may now have to register with the NFA on something that was previously legal. It's just the first step in "give an inch and take a mile."
And then they'll know how well armed you are when the thought police come to arrest anybody who disagrees with big brother. :scared:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:54 pm

Well...

This no background check is dented head logic. He must be referencing rifle sales or something that don't require it. Every purchase I've made at a gun show has required a background check. It's the same exact process if I were to go to an actual store.
Need a central registry. Need to know where a weapon is, and where it has been. Dented heads would call this a slippery slope. The government has yet to come for my car, despite having this data, though.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:03 pm

Well...

Need a central registry. Need to know where a weapon is, and where it has been. Dented heads would call this a slippery slope. The government has yet to come for my car, despite having this data, though.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:05 pm

do i need to watch that, or is it some outlier dude manufacturing situations for him to have material ready for his youtube channel?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:08 pm

No.

And, no. He's an attorney that does informative/opinion pieces on news that intersect his area of law (which is the same as mine).

A more serious take would be; why are you so keen to have a registry if you do not intend to use it? What would be its purpose if not for government accountability of personal firearms?
Automobile registration is revenue generation. How does that apply to personal firearms?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:14 pm

A registry assures no undocumented private transfers and adds annoying overhead to dissuade would-be fanatics. It also provides good data, in a sea of bad data.

The reason for a registry is not the same as the reason for a car registry. But they do share characteristics.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:19 pm

Thanks. I ask because there is a contingent that thinks they can subvert the 2A through enacting barriers to entry like high annual registration fees, oppressively high compulsory 'gun insurance', and disincentivizing ammo purchases. All things that sound great to government budget writers/spenders.
Last edited by dodint on Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:19 pm

Well...

But again, that doesn't change this gun show loophole that they keep talking about as if it exists at all to the degree anyone is talking about.

Buy a gun at a gun show, it requires the same transfer it would at a store. Historical guns, need not apply, but ARs, Pistols, all require one.

Otherwise, it's just selling your gun in the driveway and that's a felony still.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:30 pm

Maybe the slippery slope thing is this...the vegas shooter engaged in fringe behavior by accumulating the weapons that he did, which made him an outlier and should have put him on an FBI watch list. I would like that model to exist and it would be enabled by a registry. But y’all are gonna talk about your “rights” on this one.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Thanks. I ask because there is a contingent that thinks they can subvert the 2A through enacting barriers to entry like high annual registration fees, oppressively high compulsory 'gun insurance', and disincentivizing ammo purchases. All things that sound great to government budget writers/spenders.
I’m also in that contingent. And it does sound great.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:35 pm

Yeah, that's fine. It's entirely impossible so I don't think much about it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:36 pm

Same.

I guess the difference between me and those folks are “can” vs “should but can’t” subvert the 2A

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:41 pm

Maybe the slippery slope thing is this...the vegas shooter engaged in fringe behavior by accumulating the weapons that he did, which made him an outlier and should have put him on an FBI watch list. I would like that model to exist and it would be enabled by a registry. But y’all are gonna talk about your “rights” on this one.
I’m a law abiding citizen, I don’t care too much about a registry, put me on it, fine. Republicans should play hardball here and tie all their voting laws to this same registry.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Cool idea. Who cares about guns and voting anyway.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:47 pm

Cool idea. Who cares about guns and voting anyway.
Well from their POV they own the states currently in legislation, it’s going to be an interesting fight going forward.

Especially with states like Tenn no longer requiring background checks to carry.