Politics And Current Events

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:23 pm

I have a lot of time for nerds.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:23 pm

I know it's uncool to actually read things, but the Biden admin/WH aren't calling this an infrastructure only plan. It's "The American Jobs Plan."

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:25 pm

Take BUR-LAS for example. It's reliably 40-45 minutes of flight time through two different Class-B areas. It takes around 45 minutes to clean, refuel, and resupply, and up they go again. So that's generally 7 takeoffs and 7 landings per duty shift, which are the most dangerous phases of a flight. And in the case of BUR, arrivals are a little challenging, as the main runway used for arrivals is only like 5800'; float too long in the ground effect and you could end up on a busy surface street at the other end.

And those long-haul routes also often have more than one crew managing the flight. I know on our flight to Singapore there were two complete sets of flight deck officers, and a little more than two sets of cabin crew.
I can also see younger pilots with younger children being attracted to the regional flights. Hopping around the Midwest in an RJ might be less interesting, but you'll likely be back at home every night, and if for example you get up at way-too-early o'clock and start flying first thing in the morning, your spouse can see the kids off to school, and you'll time out in time to get back home to pick them up. For the senior pilots in their 50s and 60s who are more often flying the international legs, their kids are going to be high-school age if not off at college, so it matters less that you might only be home every couple of days.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:32 pm

I don’t care how old he is, I would watch the hell out of an Idris Elba-led Bond series.
Have you seen Luther?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:33 pm

oh no! not elder care!!

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:36 pm

oh no! not elder care!!
Well...they did spend most of 2020 actively trying to get them all killed. This is consistent if nothing else.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 pm

I like this move by Biden

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-polic ... structure/

Biden says he’s open to compromise with Republicans on $2 trillion infrastructure plan

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:50 pm

He was open to compromise on COVID relief and it was clear to him very quickly that it was a fool’s errand. But he did try.

With infrastructure there should be some wiggle room, since this isn’t one of the platforms where republicans play loose with people’s lives and livelihoods. But ultimately republicans simply don’t have ideas and don’t want to govern. It’s gonna be tough to get this done, I think. If there’s one free pass to break the filibuster it will be for voters rights - not this.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:56 pm

I think he's talking about compromising with Manchin. The GOP will never compromise.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:58 pm

Here’s how the compromise will go...

Biden: 2 trillion?
GOP: zero
Biden: 1.5 trillion?
GOP: zero
Biden: 1 trillion?
GOP: zero.
Biden: okay, I’m done here
GOP: see?!?!? He won’t compromise with us!

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 pm

Yeesh

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:49 am

This happened not too terribly far from me. And it turns out I know the doctor personally. I thought I recognized the name, but received confirmation this morning.
At least five people are dead after what authorities are calling a "case of a mass shooting" at a home in York County, South Carolina.

The victims of the Wednesday evening shooting near Rock Hill included a doctor, his wife and their two grandchildren, the York County Sheriff's Office said in a tweet. The family was "very prominent and very well known" in the county, York County Sheriff spokesman Trent Faris said.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/08/us/york- ... index.html

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 am

And you libtards say the right can't be hilarious...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:04 am

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:04 am

F*ck. Why didn’t he say this before I got my vaccine??

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:47 am

How is Alex Jones still a thing after the Sandy Hook ruling?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:50 am

Stupidity has no limits.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:52 am

This happened not too terribly far from me. And it turns out I know the doctor personally. I thought I recognized the name, but received confirmation this morning.
At least five people are dead after what authorities are calling a "case of a mass shooting" at a home in York County, South Carolina.

The victims of the Wednesday evening shooting near Rock Hill included a doctor, his wife and their two grandchildren, the York County Sheriff's Office said in a tweet. The family was "very prominent and very well known" in the county, York County Sheriff spokesman Trent Faris said.
I saw there was a manhunt underway up near you, but I hadn’t heard the details. Horrendous. Sounds like a disgruntled neighbor - maybe the work going at the house or something. Doesn’t matter, still awful.

I wish we could figure out a way to get people to solve grievances without killing people. I’m still thinking about that double murder suicide over shoveling a driveway that someone posted here a few months ago (the one caught on security footage). Obviously, MOST people can work things out without killing a bunch of people, but why not all?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:00 am

Because guns make it extremely easy to kill someone. Point, pull trigger, dead. Don't even have time to reconsider your actions, and you don't give your intended victim an opportunity to defend themselves.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:01 am

because people are animals.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:25 am

Alex Jones looks terrible. Hopefully he dies soon.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:34 am

I saw there was a manhunt underway up near you, but I hadn’t heard the details. Horrendous. Sounds like a disgruntled neighbor - maybe the work going at the house or something. Doesn’t matter, still awful.

I wish we could figure out a way to get people to solve grievances without killing people. I’m still thinking about that double murder suicide over shoveling a driveway that someone posted here a few months ago (the one caught on security footage). Obviously, MOST people can work things out without killing a bunch of people, but why not all?
Yeah this is a pretty awful situation.

My immediate context has really been affected by this this morning.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:37 am

Yeah this is a pretty awful situation.

My immediate context has really been affected by this this morning.
Damn Freddy. Good luck. It's horrible enough they killed the doctor and his wife, but man, his grandkids too?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:42 am

I'm curious what scientific research Alex Jones is citing when he says the mRNA vaccine builds "plaque in the brain" and we'll all be dead in 10 years

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:52 am

because people are animals.
humanity is a ponzi scheme. we're a bunch of impossibly powerful parasites.