Politics And Current Events

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:16 pm

So, Pelosi's SOTU gambit.
Why wouldn't Trump just hold a rally on the 29th, which will no doubt be aired by every network because they were already scheduling for the SOTU.
Then you're just going to come off petulant and he get his national audience AND doesn't haven't to try to look Presidential which just rallies the base more.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Question to our esteemed federal workers here.

In regards to back pay, does everyone get it plus not lose any vacation time? So in sense the entire shutdown is an extra paid vacation. Or do you lose that vacation time because of shutdown?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm

I always thought the SOTU was a stunt anyway. There is no requirement that the president give the "Information of the State of the Union" described in Article II, Section 3 in person, and I want to say that the modern, in-person, in-the-evening form of the SOTU only really started to become a thing once radio and later television came on the scene.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Hamberdergler

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Just saw Rudy on CNN and :face: . What is up with him being so wide eyed these days?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:22 pm

Question to our esteemed federal workers here.

In regards to back pay, does everyone get it plus not lose any vacation time? So in sense the entire shutdown is an extra paid vacation. Or do you lose that vacation time because of shutdown?
Yes. For those who are non-essential and sitting at home, they* will be back paid in accordance with the terms of the bill that will be passed to resume pay. Historically this has included both back pay for regular time and holidays. However, despite precedent, the law makers are not required to back pay them either type of pay if they do not want. That's a strong caveat given that this is the longest shutdown on record so the backpay would be the most substantial ever. Trump boned us with no raise, wouldn't be surprised if they got together and boned employees on some portion of back pay.

Also, for essential workers all approved leave and holiday time off is cancelled. You cannot take leave during a furlough. So not only are you working for no pay but you cannot take that vacation you planned six months ago. Supervisors may authorize short term time away from work for doctors appointments, etc. But nothing substantial.

*There are some minor variances and deviations based on agency and class of worker, etc. But generally this is how it goes.

I am not affected by any of this. I have worked paid overtime two days this week, including a 13hr day yesterday. My paycheck deposited today, as well.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 am

If I'm furloughed for 5 weeks, government reopens, and I get paid for those 5 weeks, do I lose any vacation time?

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 am

If I'm furloughed for 5 weeks, government reopens, and I get paid for those 5 weeks, do I lose any vacation time?
good gig if you can get it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:10 am

Michael Cohen hired an IT firm to rig online polls in favor of Donald Trump ahead of the 2016 election, The Wall Street Journal reports. Trump’s then-attorney—who has since spectacularly fallen out with the president—reportedly promised to pay $50,000 to small tech firm RedFinch Solutions to rig online polls on CNBC and the Drudge Report. However, instead of paying the $50,000 that company owner John Gauger was expecting, Cohen handed him “a blue Walmart bag containing between $12,000 and $13,000 in cash and, randomly, a boxing glove that Mr. Cohen said had been worn by a Brazilian mixed-martial-arts fighter,” the Journal reports. Cohen denies that, only commenting on the allegations to say all payments given to Gauger “were by check.” It’s also claimed Cohen also asked Gauger to create the @WomenForCohen Twitter account in May 2016 which praised Cohen as a “sex symbol.” In early 2017, Cohen received a $50,000 reimbursement from Trump and his company for the work by RedFinch, according to a government document. Gauger is also CIO at Virginia’s Liberty University, the evangelical college run by Jerry Fallwell Jr., a close Trump supporter.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/cohen-hir ... ays-report

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 am

Surprised Shad or Ned didn't reeeeeeee over AOC getting onto a financial committee....

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:18 am

That Cohen stuff :lol:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:24 am

Surprised Shad or Ned didn't reeeeeeee over AOC getting onto a financial committee....
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:25 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:31 am

Those of us directly impacted by what this committee does/doesn't do, have more concerns with Waters' leadership of the committee.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:47 am

Those of us directly impacted by what this committee does/doesn't do, have more concerns with Waters' leadership of the committee.
Yup. She is about as corrupt as they come, and a neo-Marxist at that.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:51 am

"Neo-Marxist"? Did you find that on Breitbart?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 am

Yup. She is about as corrupt as they come, and a neo-Marxist at that.
No, she just doesn't understand how to write regulations. The agencies have spent almost a decade trying to figure out how banks are supposed to comply with parts of her signature legislation.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:56 am

I'm glad everyone is getting on him for being predictable now. Basically last night he came out and said that Trump didn't collude even though the rest of his campaign did.

Seems to be he says stuff like this to take heat off away from what's coming. We'll see.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:01 am

That term has been around since before Breitbart...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 am

The Left has become totally unhinged. They no longer care what is Right for our Countrty!

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:09 am

there's probably not a thing AOC would say that I personally agree with but I think it's good to have differing opinions in congress and on committees, provided they work together like adults.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:13 am

there's probably not a thing AOC would say that I personally agree with but I think it's good to have differing opinions in congress and on committees, provided they work together like adults.
Hahahaha.... (breathing)... hahahaha....

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:15 am

I'm glad everyone is getting on him for being predictable now. Basically last night he came out and said that Trump didn't collude even though the rest of his campaign did.

Seems to be he says stuff like this to take heat off away from what's coming. We'll see.
After getting a better handle on what Kushner's been doing, if he doesn't end up in jail, they need to shred all the laws in this country and rewrite them from scratch.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:17 am

No. Neo-Marxism has undercurrents in the New Left of the latter 20th century/early 21st. It's a fairly well-established school of political/economic thought. Black Liberation Theology/social justice movement also shares a lot of the same parallels. I studied political science/thought in college, and it continues to be a hobby of mine in "old" age.

Not every term/classification of the Far Left comes from Breitbart. :roll: