Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 pm

A man was arrested after he was caught pulling down his pants and rubbing produce on his buttocks, then putting the items back on the shelves at a Northern Virginia grocery store, police said.

It was reported to Manassas city police by a loss prevention employee at the store who witnessed the man “picking up produce, pulling down his pants, rubbing the produce on his buttocks, and replacing the produce back on the shelf,” police said in a statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... 9fda8574d3
This is a very, very strong rebound post, 9/10. Only thing that would've made it better is if the story were from Florida. :thumb: :fist:

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Getting People back to your side after losing an unlosable Election:101

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... 2326361089
Senator Mazie Hirono (D-HI): "I just want to say to the men of this country, just shut up and step up.”

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:01 pm

None of those even approach the level of coverage this will, as you well know. There also isn’t a huge time gap between the purported event and the reporting of it. But yes, we can go around and find stories of all sorts of things people do. I bet I could find stories of teenage boys who sexually assault girls to support my belief that it happened. My point is that based on what we know so far, I think she’s telling the truth about the event. I think she believes it was Kavanaugh. Whether or not it was is more questionable.

The problem with the whole thing is that there's basically no way to ever prove whether she is telling the truth or not. And as the accuser, I believe she has the burden of proof due to the nature of her allegations. Under defamation law, there are four categories of statements that are considered so serious that a defendant need not prove any actual damages in order to recover from the plaintiff. Those four categories are: statements alleging the commission of a criminal offense, statements alleging the target has a "loathsome disease" (which has usually meant an STD), statements alleging the target has committed serious sexual misconduct, or statements alleging conduct or characteristics that adversely affect the target's fitness to properly conduct his profession, trade or business. This accusation checks at least two of those boxes, and maybe three. If you allege that someone has committed a crime or a sexual offense, you'd damn sure better be able to back it up. But there is literally no way for her to back this stuff up. Of the three people who were there, two have already denied it happened. Without proof, it's just a smear. And it is transparently obvious, at least, that even though it is unclear at this time whether Ms. Ford made this accusation as a smear, the Democrats in the Senate are undoubtedly using this accusation as a smear.

I share pretty much every point made in today's editorial in the Wall Street Journal:

The #MeToo Kavanaugh Ambush
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-metoo- ... 1537197395

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:19 pm

And as the accuser, I believe she has the burden of proof due to the nature of her allegations.
Debra Katz, the attorney for the woman accusing Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault, said that it is not her client’s job to corroborate her claims.
https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/kavan ... er-lawyer/
https://youtu.be/PA0HQgUP9yo

The excerpt is around 2:20 or so.

I highlight that because it's amusing, almost tongue and cheek. But also because it tips her hand that there will be no actual evidence coming without a third party investigation.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Debra Katz, the attorney for the woman accusing Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault, said that it is not her client’s job to corroborate her claims.
https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/kavan ... er-lawyer/
https://youtu.be/PA0HQgUP9yo

The excerpt is around 2:20 or so.

I highlight that because it's amusing, almost tongue and cheek. But also because it tips her hand that there will be no actual evidence coming without a third party investigation.
Tips her hand? :lol:

What evidence did you expect?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:28 pm

If you're going to go the defamation route, Kavanaugh is undoubtedly a public figure.
Of the three people who were there, two have already denied it happened.
Both of whom are alleged to have taken part to varying degrees in the assault. This is not super compelling.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:48 pm

If you're going to go the defamation route, Kavanaugh is undoubtedly a public figure.
Of the three people who were there, two have already denied it happened.
Both of whom are alleged to have taken part to varying degrees in the assault. This is not super compelling.

The public-figure aspect doesn't mean that it's not defamation per se. It just means that the defendant would need to show actual malice. And I noted the "three people there" fact because that means—by Ms. Ford's own assertions—there are no other possible witnesses. In fact, according to her own statements, she didn't tell anyone about this alleged event until she was in therapy in 2012. So the accuser not only has no corroboration, but corroboration is impossible according to her own statements.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Of course, this was and always will be a she-said/he-said.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Hope you had a nice summer :)
It was interesting. I had a heart attack in the beginning of July and was almost a goner multiple times. I should post an account in the blackjack's medical thread.

My only thought on the Kavanaugh nomination, outside of him being a partisan hack, is that I graduated from high school that same year and he still have the same hairstyle that was common back then.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:13 pm

I don't think she is lying per se.

I think she doesn't know who/what/when/where because they were all drunk*, and so she is filling in the blanks, as it were.

* - Her attorney admitted the accuser had "a beer" in her interview this morning. No teenager in Earth's history had "a beer" at a party.
Have you ever been to a party with girls that age?

I'd be surprised if any 15 year old girl gets a whole beer down. They usually take two sips and put it down, it's why the term "floater" was invented.
Ummm...did you go to high school?

I saw a girl from my high school, a somewhat skinny cheerleader, do a keg stand for nearly a full minute before they put her down.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:16 pm

A man was arrested after he was caught pulling down his pants and rubbing produce on his buttocks, then putting the items back on the shelves at a Northern Virginia grocery store, police said.

It was reported to Manassas city police by a loss prevention employee at the store who witnessed the man “picking up produce, pulling down his pants, rubbing the produce on his buttocks, and replacing the produce back on the shelf,” police said in a statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... 9fda8574d3
Awesome to see you here, seriously.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:32 pm

This interaction with Senator Feinstein and reporters is really weird. Did she not know why she waited with the letter?
https://mobile.twitter.com/rickhasen/st ... 1350173696

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:32 pm

I don't think she is lying per se.

I think she doesn't know who/what/when/where because they were all drunk*, and so she is filling in the blanks, as it were.

* - Her attorney admitted the accuser had "a beer" in her interview this morning. No teenager in Earth's history had "a beer" at a party.
Have you ever been to a party with girls that age?

I'd be surprised if any 15 year old girl gets a whole beer down. They usually take two sips and put it down, it's why the term "floater" was invented.
Ummm...did you go to high school?

I saw a girl from my high school, a somewhat skinny cheerleader, do a keg stand for nearly a full minute before they put her down.
Sure, we've established that girls can drink beer, but that's not a reason to dismiss the story because she said she had "one beer". There are also plenty of teenage girls that go to parties and don't binge drink.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:37 pm

100 kegs or bust

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Your initial statement made it clear that you didn't think girls drink a lot of beer at a party and you made up a term called a floater.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:49 pm

A quick Urban Dictionary search would show that he did not make up "floater", though I'm not sure why his word choice matters here...

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:00 pm

I've never heard that term refer to anything other than turds. But ok.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:03 pm

What is going on in DiFi's brain?
From colleague Connor Marley. Feinstein on Ford. Says Ford "is a woman that has been, I think, profoundly impacted, on this..I can't say that everything is truthful. I don't know."
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChadPergram/ ... 5169769472

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Polish President Andrzej Duda asked Trump for a permanent U.S. base during a White House meeting, offering to name it "Fort Trump," and explaining it would be a bulwark against what he considers a threat from Russia.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-u ... 33520.html

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:27 pm

“As we have always said, Bert and Ernie are best friends. They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves. Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most ‘Sesame Street’ Muppets do), they remain puppets, and do not have sexual orientation.”
https://twitter.com/SesameWorkshop/stat ... 2678587395

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:28 pm

One of the weird things that have happened over the past decade or so is the way that any male friendship is automatically assumed to be sexual in some way.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:25 pm

One of the weird things that have happened over the past decade or so is the way that any male friendship is automatically assumed to be sexual in some way.
:lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:34 pm

I have no male friends, GOT EM. -nobody probably

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Race, gender, and sexual preference are the only things that matter.
Signed - The people who claim those things shouldn't matter.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:21 pm

I had a heart attack in the beginning of July and was almost a goner multiple times.
Holy crap, dude. Glad you're doing better, that's scary.