Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:51 pm

Oh christ. They've gone plaid

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:03 pm

For every purchase + receipt upload, Kellogg's® donates $3 to GLAAD*.
The extra step of uploading the receipt is annoying. I appreciate the thought but the execution is rough. Also the cereal is shaped like buttholes.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:09 pm

Clearly if they truly supported the LGBTQ+ community they would have announced that Snap, Crackle, and Pop are gay and in a polyamorous relationship and Tony the Tiger is a trans genderqueer woman.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:21 pm

For every purchase + receipt upload, Kellogg's® donates $3 to GLAAD*.
The extra step of uploading the receipt is annoying. I appreciate the thought but the execution is rough. Also the cereal is shaped like buttholes.
I hate this practice in general. Just make the donation yourself, Canaans.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:28 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:22 pm

Oh boy here comes Donald

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:03 am

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:34 am

Thank you President Biden.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:38 am

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:21 am

This guy is going to get epsteined

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:24 am

He's been pretty vocal about this for years. And he's not wrong.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:36 am

So, I should definitely take from that that the evil, evil rich folks are the ones that are reducing the amount of jobs?

Because, reasonably, you're talking about a very, very small number of people versus the macro amount of jobs...even though a lot of small businesses went out of business during the pandemic, etc.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:43 am

Let me tell you about Amazon and small businesses going out of business, mikey ...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:48 am

So, I should definitely take from that that the evil, evil rich folks are the ones that are reducing the amount of jobs?

Because, reasonably, you're talking about a very, very small number of people versus the macro amount of jobs...even though a lot of small businesses went out of business during the pandemic, etc.
I think not mythologizing wealthy people is what you should take.

And also, the issue is rent seeking, not about the grand wizards of the world, like Bezos and Musk getting too much. The "rich" people are the ones that own all the stock and demand the rewards go to their class and not the people generating the revenue streams.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:08 am

I feel like it's you guys that make them mythological though. I don't care about them, I just don't really get the fervent vilification...so I try to balance that out. I don't hold any deference for hardly anyone, these guys are no exception. That said, the vitriol that gets expressed seems odd and misplaced. It reads like sour grapes because as almost solely a result of the money they have, therefore everything they do is not good enough (see: charity. "That would be like if I donated a button and 30 cents. Do better than $11 billion maaaannnn.") or just downright evil. And, like, maybe...maybe in a certain tax bracket you just become evil or there's like an initiation process to being evil. Or maybe, you guys are just choked by the pedestal you put them on...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:14 am

The biggest issue is that the people who make these people their money aren't actually paid well enough for their services and live either paycheck to paycheck, or barely have enough to skate by. Hell, some don't even get health insurance from their employer.

Meanwhile, the corporations run by "the rich" make billions in profits and... where does that all go to? Definitely isn't seen in higher wages for the people working for them. Minimum wage hasn't increased since 2009, but profits sure have.

There's a strong disconnect between those at the top and those who work the day to day, which IMO is a big reason why you see all this angst.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:20 am

"I don't think the hard work and money from the average joe should line the pockets of those not putting in an honest day's work..."

Is that sentence about people collecting welfare checks or billionaires? I suppose it depends on who says it...

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:21 am

Protest that then...being mad at the rich isn't enough. If it's so bad at these companies, stop working there, stop buying from there, work a movement up...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:26 am

Protest that then...being mad at the rich isn't enough. If it's so bad at these companies, stop working there, stop buying from there, work a movement up...
You've heard of the golden rule, haven't you?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:34 am

Who do you think runs the companies...?

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:50 am

"I don't think the hard work and money from the average joe should line the pockets of those not putting in an honest day's work..."

Is that sentence about people collecting welfare checks or billionaires? I suppose it depends on who says it...
Very true.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:50 am

The democrats...?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:51 am

I feel like it's you guys that make them mythological though. I don't care about them, I just don't really get the fervent vilification...so I try to balance that out. I don't hold any deference for hardly anyone, these guys are no exception. That said, the vitriol that gets expressed seems odd and misplaced. It reads like sour grapes because as almost solely a result of the money they have, therefore everything they do is not good enough (see: charity. "That would be like if I donated a button and 30 cents. Do better than $11 billion maaaannnn.") or just downright evil. And, like, maybe...maybe in a certain tax bracket you just become evil or there's like an initiation process to being evil. Or maybe, you guys are just choked by the pedestal you put them on...
I think this is simplistic, but I also get how complaining about rich people is simplistic.

For me, it's about institutional rot. you, and people of your mindset view the rot as a product of corrupt government. I would view it as a product of a corrupt system, that is the whole corporate-government we live under. That guy's message is specifically related to longstanding propaganda that equates rich people with "job creators" and other such nonsense.

I just think the perverse incentives of capitalism are just swept under the rug under these mythos. And I suppose it's understandable, as the only historical comparison to our liberal democracy is the Soviet mob state.

My only resolution is to allow people to actually question the incentive structure for industries as a whole, and allow government some leeway to reduce the potential harm posed by those harmful incentives (for example, insurance incentives are to charge higher premiums and provide less coverage, oil industry incentives are to keep people reliant on oil until there is no more oil, facebook's incentives are to have people staring at their facebook feed all day, Coke wants people drinking multiple servings of sugar liquid everyday). It's all the cigarette company dilemma acted out over and over again.

Rich People / capitalists created this system. They don't want the government acting on behalf of the people (workers and consumer), they want them to continue acting on behalf of the owners.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:56 am

Yep. I mean, a lot of these successful people (not all, but a lot), put a lot of risk and could have easily failed and been left with nothing. And I'm sure a lot of their top employees are handsomely rewarded.

I mean we get told all the time when some "woke" company wants to change their product and we don't like it, that's it's not a big deal and just don't buy their product if we are mad.

If you don't like how the company treats their employees, shop local. Spend the extra cash on the little guy. Boycott their business. But sometimes that's too hard I guess.

My wife and I just bought a bunch of gift cards for our direct reports for small to medium sized local companies instead of the usual Target and Amazon, for the very reason that we want to support these smaller businesses.

Personally, I never once bought anything from Amazon, I'm probably one of the few people out there that can say that. I do shop Target all the time though.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:05 am

unrelated, but I hosted thanksgiving this year and I had a (civil) conversation with my siblings about the fact that they thought I should take down my 13 star "Betsy Ross" flag that I fly outside

their argument is that the 13 star flag is representative of slavery-era America and that it could potentially make those from marginalized groups feel uncomfortable and, on the other side, encourage Trumpers. Now, I don't fly the flag for any reason other than I really like the aesthetic; I'm a history geek and appreciate the flag itself and don't for a second think about how back then was a better time or anything like that.

I don't disagree with them that it'll make some people feel uncomfortable and motivate dickweeds but I still maintain that I have no ill-will with flying the flag and if someone is uncomfortable with me flying a flag that represents a lot more than "this was a flag during slavery" then that's a them problem