Politics And Current Events

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:08 pm

It would be funny as hell if KTK was actually just asking.

I'm drunk

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:12 pm

We're going to see some Taliban in Afghanistan stuff after long. :lol:

I like how Washington and Jefferson are now reduced to being known as "slaveholders" as if their contributions are equivalent to **** Zachary Tyler and Franklin J. Pierce

god dammit, NYT published that **** to make people angry and even knowing it's an intentional clickbait headline I'm still fuming
I agree, what were the NYT thinking..ugh. They know exactly what they are doing though.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Trump again claims coronavirus is ‘going to just disappear’ as US sees record number of new cases
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 96631.html

If he keeps repeating this every 3 or 4 months he’ll eventually be right.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:16 pm

Trump again claims coronavirus is ‘going to just disappear’ as US sees record number of new cases
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 96631.html

If he keeps repeating this every 3 or 4 months he’ll eventually be right.
Welp, that's it folks. Close down the COVID-19 thread here. Its all over.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:39 pm

How did the lakota end up with that land anyways
Brian and Jacey are probably living in a home that sits on land that once was part of tribe.
If I remember correctly the Lakota invaded that land and kicked out the people who were there in the 1700s.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:43 pm

Brian and Jacey are probably living in a home that sits on land that once was part of tribe.
If I remember correctly the Lakota invaded that land and kicked out the people who were there in the 1700s.
Exactly, people have been kicking people out of their lands since the beginning of time.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:45 pm

You say that like you were there... :slug:

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:50 pm

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:56 pm

Assuming you didn’t care to read the article...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:09 pm

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 pm

No, I read it. I know it talked about the history of the construction of those freeways, how it destroyed black neighborhoods, segregated the city, etc.

Honestly though, anything done over like 50 years ago will have some trace of racial inequality attached to it if you dig hard enough. Between overriding the native americans, slavery, and the aftermath of the divide due to the change in culture, it is impossible not to.

And quiet honestly, I don't mind articles that will recount that history. To me, it's when you try to cancel or erase that history, especially to pander. Outside of the title calling the freeways a large racist monument and to get rid of it bulldoze it, I found the article informative.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:20 pm

No, I read it. I know it talked about the history of the construction of those freeways, how it destroyed black neighborhoods, segregated the city, etc.

Honestly though, anything done over like 50 years ago will have some trace of racial inequality attached to it if you dig hard enough. Between overriding the native americans, slavery, and the aftermath of the divide due to the change in culture, it is impossible not to.

And quiet honestly, I don't mind articles that will recount that history. To me, it's when you try to cancel or erase that history, especially to pander. Outside of the title calling the freeways a large racist monument and to get rid of it bulldoze it, I found the article informative.
Ok cool.

Yea a lot of that stuff is interesting to me. It is similar to the civic arena project and 579 corridor here in the burgh. You don’t really think about that stuff but it’s definitely pertinent. It will be a bit of a social experiment to see if businesses start to reappear around the new arena with a much more direct and nice to look at route with the addition of the Park over 579

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:23 pm

I wouldn't open a business in the city right now. Downtown Pittsburgh is going to be a ghost town most of the time once half the work force moves to virtual for good.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:25 pm

Ok cool.

Yea a lot of that stuff is interesting to me. It is similar to the civic arena project and 579 corridor here in the burgh. You don’t really think about that stuff but it’s definitely pertinent. It will be a bit of a social experiment to see if businesses start to reappear around the new arena with a much more direct and nice to look at route with the addition of the Park over 579
Civic Arena and the Hill District immediately came to mind as I was reading the LA freeway article.

I think that portion of the Hill will get some businesses to come in around the arena, if they ever can strike a deal with the city and the community. Every time it seems close, it just falls apart. Which is disappointing because this is a huge opportunity to bring some much needed life to that area.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Stonewall Jackson monument removed in Richmond

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:27 pm

#ProtestorsWearMasks

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:28 pm

Ok cool.

Civic Arena and the Hill District immediately came to mind as I was reading the LA freeway article.

I think that portion of the Hill will get some businesses to come in around the arena, if they ever can strike a deal with the city and the community. Every time it seems close, it just falls apart. Which is disappointing because this is a huge opportunity to bring some much needed life to that area.
I’m very excited to see that new park when complete. Construction seems like it’s moving well too

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:28 pm

I wouldn't open a business in the city right now. Downtown Pittsburgh is going to be a ghost town most of the time once half the work force moves to virtual for good.
Now that is a totally different animal. There is still more people moving downtown though, and if they continue to build housing in that area like originally proposed, it may be fine still.

But the whole COVID impact, and what the future brings for the workforce is going to be interesting.

I do think there will be a lot more virtual opportunities and work from home after this, but I don't think it's going to be as great as many people thing though (assuming a vaccine comes about or COVID starts to disappate through herd immunity). At least for a while. There are still many old school types that are at the top of the business that while proven things can get done from home, they still want people in the office.

It's happening at my work right now.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:28 pm

Not a mask in sight.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:30 pm

#ProtestorsWearMasks

It's nice tho just to see protesters dancing and having fun.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Now that is a totally different animal. There is still more people moving downtown though, and if they continue to build housing in that area like originally proposed, it may be fine still.

But the whole COVID impact, and what the future brings for the workforce is going to be interesting.

I do think there will be a lot more virtual opportunities and work from home after this, but I don't think it's going to be as great as many people thing though (assuming a vaccine comes about or COVID starts to disappate through herd immunity). At least for a while. There are still many old school types that are at the top of the business that while proven things can get done from home, they still want people in the office.

You can’t train well virtually and you can’t manage well virtually. I think there will be opportunities for people in the middle to work from home, but my wife for example, is having a ton of issues with the younger people she works with. Its hard to have 25 and 26 year olds focus on work from home

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Wonder what Steve Kerr thinks

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:47 pm

You can’t train well virtually and you can’t manage well virtually. I think there will be opportunities for people in the middle to work from home, but my wife for example, is having a ton of issues with the younger people she works with. Its hard to have 25 and 26 year olds focus on work from home
Agreed. I still think there's going to be a major shift and commercial real estate is going to get hammered. I also think the "moving to the city" thing is going to stop and some of the people that did will start leaving.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 pm

If you've ever driven down 79 to 64W in Charleston, West Virginia and wondered why the interstate unnecessarily crosses the river twice?

It is because they explicitly boxed in the African-American part of town.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Wonder what Steve Kerr thinks

You wonder that quite a bit.