Politics And Current Events

FlyEaglesFly

Postby FlyEaglesFly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 am

People want their pre-existing opinions confirmed. That's a basic human trait. The internet has created an environment where it's easy to find news stories that support your views. Add to that the echo chamber effect of social media like facebook and you have a recipe for a very potent fake news environment.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 am

I’ve certainly become more suspiscious of news outlets on the edge like the daily beast and the Young Turks. I am extremely hesitant to trust their news. The same with Breitbart and daily caller. Unfortunately we have a president who only praises non-critical media, and has been a major contributor to poisoning the well of journalism.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:35 am

I forgot to add all the russian bots formenting this discord.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am

Really, VLB? Journalism was chugging along minding its own business all full of butterflies and virtue until 'ole DJT crashed into office? k.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:48 am

Is that what I said?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am

We’re at a point now, journalistically, where most people don’t believe anything they read or do believe completely what they read. Neither is good. Most likely a byproduct of twitter and other social media. Critical thinking is lost.
I know this will set off Tiff's conspiracy theory alarm but I don't think that Twitter and social media created this trouble within the US media it is merely both exposing what already existed (hello, fake but accurate) and removing the objectivity mask which has made journalist into activist.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am

Both of the House Republican immigration bills are dead.
This can be confusing, so here you go: The House on Thursday will vote on two bills that overhaul the US immigration system.

- The first is a proposal long backed by conservatives that takes a hardline position on dealing with DACA, border security and cutting legal immigration. This is often short-handed as the Goodlatte bill, because of its author conservative Republican Rep. Bob Goodlatte of Virginia.

- The second bill was negotiated by moderates, leadership and conservatives over the last few weeks. It provides $25 billion for the border wall and creates a pathway to citizenship for recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program through visa cuts to other elements of legal immigration, including eliminating the diversity visa lottery and limiting family visas.
More so than DACA I think the sticking point on all of these proposed bills is the cuts to legal immigration. The hardcore conservatives and Trumpsters want severe cuts to legal immigration while the other side views compromised cuts to legal immigration (that the conservatives won't vote for) as a step too far.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:37 am

This can be confusing, so here you go: The House on Thursday will vote on two bills that overhaul the US immigration system.

- The first is a proposal long backed by conservatives that takes a hardline position on dealing with DACA, border security and cutting legal immigration. This is often short-handed as the Goodlatte bill, because of its author conservative Republican Rep. Bob Goodlatte of Virginia.

- The second bill was negotiated by moderates, leadership and conservatives over the last few weeks. It provides $25 billion for the border wall and creates a pathway to citizenship for recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program through visa cuts to other elements of legal immigration, including eliminating the diversity visa lottery and limiting family visas.
More so than DACA I think the sticking point on all of these proposed bills is the cuts to legal immigration. The hardcore conservatives and Trumpsters want severe cuts to legal immigration while the other side views compromised cuts to legal immigration (that the conservatives won't vote for) as a step too far.
No rational explanation for this.

FlyEaglesFly

Postby FlyEaglesFly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:47 am

No rational explanation for this.
From what I've read, the second bill you mention keeps the gross number of legal immigrants the same. The difference is that it gives priority to DACA and therefore to maintain a stable legal immigration number they have to reduce other forms of immigration such as the lottery and possibly cutting into the number of family visas. (What the right refers to as chain migration)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:56 am

We’re at a point now, journalistically, where most people don’t believe anything they read or do believe completely what they read. Neither is good. Most likely a byproduct of twitter and other social media. Critical thinking is lost.
I know this will set off Tiff's conspiracy theory alarm but I don't think that Twitter and social media created this trouble within the US media it is merely both exposing what already existed (hello, fake but accurate) and removing the objectivity mask which has made journalist into activist.
That's not alarm worthy. That's a pretty accurate description of what's going on.

Social media didn't create idiots, it just made them more easily exploitable. (And, thankfully, identifiable)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:42 pm

The Drive-By Media has been around for a while :wink:

I do miss columbia's references to it

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:07 pm

SCOTUS ruling 5-4 that states will be able to force shoppers to pay sales tax when making online purchases. This is obviously already set up on certain websites, but this will make it much more ubiquitous.
More than 40 states had asked the high court to overrule two, decades-old Supreme Court decisions that they said cost them billions of dollars in lost revenue annually. The decisions made it more difficult for states to collect sales tax on certain online purchases.

On Thursday, the Supreme Court agreed to overturn those decisions in a 5-4 ruling. The cases the court overturned said that if a business was shipping a customer’s purchase to a state where the business didn’t have a physical presence such as a warehouse or office, the business didn’t have to collect the state’s sales tax. Customers were generally responsible for paying the sales tax to the state themselves if they weren’t charged it, but most didn’t realize they owed it and few paid.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote that the previous decisions were flawed.

“Each year the physical presence rule becomes further removed from economic reality and results in significant revenue losses to the States. These critiques underscore that the physical presence rule, both as first formulated and as applied today, is an incorrect interpretation of the Commerce Clause,” he wrote in an opinion joined by Justices Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch.
Chief Justice John Roberts and three of his colleagues would have kept the court’s previous decisions in place. Roberts wrote that Congress, not the court, should change the rules if necessary.

“Any alteration to those rules with the potential to disrupt the development of such a critical segment of the economy should be undertaken by Congress,” Roberts wrote in a dissent joined by Justices Stephen Breyer, Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor.
Interesting split.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:12 pm

I recall this debate back when I was in high school. At the time, I thought it was goofy that you didn't have to pay state sales tax unless they had a physical presence in your state. With the advances that have happened since then, I find it even more goofy. It makes sense to me that if I'm paying state sales tax, it shouldn't matter if I walk down the street and buy it or walk to my computer and buy it.

Of course, all tax is theft, so I guess it's just more thievery happening now... :slug:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:21 pm

I bet @Willie Kool loves taxes.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Whatever. That communist Tom Wolf already taxed my Netflix and Hulu accounts.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Plenty of people protesting the shooting of Antwon Rose Jr.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Remember how Sinclair made everyone say the same closing lines and we were told it was normal?

Yeah, this isn't normal.

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/100 ... 57760?s=19
Sinclair Forces Stations To Air Commentary Arguing ‘Liberal’ Reports of Child Detention Were Exaggerated https://t.co/hqG3Is6Seb https://t.co/rXaCTcLviZ

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:00 pm

I know we don't talk policy here, but my employer (Army Corps of Engineers) is about to be restructured by the Administration. They're going to take the Civil Works program out of our hands and redistribute it to the DoI, and DoT. It always seemed odd to me the Army had such a heavy hand in domestic infrastructure so I support the theory behind it.
Consolidate Mission Alignment of Army Corps of Engineers Civil Works
Move the Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) Civil Works out of the Department of Defense to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and Department of the Interior (DOI) to consolidate and align the Corps’ missions with these agencies. It moves the Corps Civil Works commercial navigation mission to DOT and the remaining Corps Civil Works missions (flood and storm damage reduction, aquatic ecosystem restoration, regulatory and all other activities) to DOI. This proposal increases consistency of Federal policy and actions in both transportation and natural resource management resulting in more rational public policy outcomes, and better Federal investment decisions.
Other items include:
-Standing up the Federal Food Safety Agency to bring all food safety functions under one federal agency.
-Dept of Education and Workforce (DEW) consolidating DoE and DoL.
-Moving the USDA Rural Housing program to HUD.
-Restructuring the USPS to be self-sustaining.
-The Department of Health and Public Welfare:
The Department of Health and Public Welfare Consolidate non-commodity nutrition assistance programs – such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) – under the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), renaming HHS the Department of Health and Public Welfare to better capture the nature of its programs. The proposal also establishes a Council on Public Assistance, comprised of all agencies that administer public benefits, with authority to set cross-program policies. The proposal better aligns Federal administration of major public assistance programs with how they are often run at the State and local levels, providing consistent policies and a single point of contact, and reduces duplication in State reporting and other administrative burdens.
From a policy perspective it's a 'Libertarian' 'win' in a practical sense. I doubt much of the list will be accomplished but here's hoping they try.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Pentagon Asked to Prepare Housing for Up to 20,000 Migrant Children
The Department of Health and Human Services on Thursday asked the Pentagon to make preparations to house as many as 20,000 unaccompanied migrant children on American military bases, a United States official said.

New, makeshift detention facilities are being envisioned to house thousands of immigrant families that are crossing illegally into the United States following President Trump’s executive order on Wednesday, which called for detaining parents and children together instead of separating them.

The request comes as federal agencies on Thursday offered competing and contradictory explanations of what was happening to immigrant families in the hours after Mr. Trump’s order, leaving it unclear where families were being held and whether they were being prosecuted.
Take that at face value (given it's a single source), but if this is true that is appalling.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/10098 ... 27842?s=19

Remember how it was a travesty that Obama wore a tan suit once?

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Michelle’s bare arms... that was a real controversy.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Pentagon Asked to Prepare Housing for Up to 20,000 Migrant Children

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Remember that time Obama saved the Libyan people? :pop: :slug:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 pm

What does that have to do with outrage/feigned outrage over wardrobe choices?

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:04 pm

I don’t care do u?