Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Russia isn't the problem, Trump is the problem. Most of Putin's antics would be irrelevant with basically any other R or D candidate.

To use a Mikeyism, we view politics like we do sports, we root for our team to win. Of course, for those people who view government as, you know, governing, it's different. But with politics as entertainment, people don't care about Trump tagging Putin in for some psyops against the country.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:13 pm

By the way, in case you're wondering why Trump is going all-in on China. It's because he's actually following through with a threat for the first time in forever.

TikTok to be banned from US app stores from Sunday
https://www.ft.com/content/c460ce4c-c69 ... pe=nongift

**** TikTok. But this ain't the way. How bout we pass some actual privacy laws instead?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:21 pm

This is funny. Love Johnny Carson.
Do you really love Johnny Carson or are you just saying that because you saw it?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:23 pm

This is funny. Love Johnny Carson.
Do you really love Johnny Carson or are you just saying that because you saw it?

I have most of his episodes on DVD. So yes I do like Johnny Carson.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:24 pm

By the way, in case you're wondering why Trump is going all-in on China. It's because he's actually following through with a threat for the first time in forever.

**** TikTok. But this ain't the way. How bout we pass some actual privacy laws instead?
How about you get some proper patriotic education?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 pm

You said love before, getting cold feet?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:26 pm

Likewise the "Russian reset" and "I'll have more flexibility after the election".

Letters after the name do much to change things.
Because those are all the same. :face:
He didn’t say they were... :face:

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:27 pm

How about you get some proper patriotic education?
My liberal indoctrination school might glossed over this subject but not to worry, I've seen Schoolhouse Rock's Bill Becomes a Law.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:27 pm

I love Johnny Carson. His comedy was infinitely better than the **** stains we have today in Colbert, kimmel, Myers and such.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Hot take alert: Johnny Carson was better than Seth Myers.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:29 pm

I said it earlier, but if he cared about any of that - he'd be hammering Facebook/Google the most. He got his feelings hurt and was embarrassed about the Tulsa rally trolling that happened on the platform. That's the main reason for his angst against TikTok. I'm sure of it.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:38 pm

I love Johnny Carson. His comedy was infinitely better than the **** stains we have today in Colbert, kimmel, Myers and such.
I don't know anything about Carson, but I know you're right.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:49 pm

Hot take alert: Johnny Carson was better than Seth Myers.
:lol:

I am an avid Johnny Carson fan...I've gone down many Youtube rabbit holes of his shows, especially the ones with Rickles, Robin Williams, Sinatra, Martin, etc. O'Brien is really the last of the great late night hosts, IMO.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:06 pm

:lol: @ the teleprompter stuff

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:42 pm

My liberal indoctrination school might glossed over this subject but not to worry, I've seen Schoolhouse Rock's Bill Becomes a Law.
as usual, it all comes back to The Simpsons

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:57 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Man Jay Pharoah was awesome.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:22 pm

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:42 pm

Highly recommend The Social Dilemma on Netflix if you haven't seen it yet. Doesn't really tell us more than we already know but to hear it from these specific people is kinda terrifying.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Trump's still going to win. Around here (yeah, I know, Somerset) it's easily 8-2 Trump vs Biden if not higher. And Trumpers are rabid in their support whereas I don't know anyone who is more then lukewarm over Biden. I just don't see Biden pulling this off, regardless of what the polls say. He doesn't have any fervent support. All he has is the anti-Trump vote and while I expect him to win the popular vote, ultimately I don't see that as enough to carry the electoral college.
I guess the only challenge to this statement is how the turnout is over Philly and Pittsburgh. Everything in between is just assumed red anyways.
I like the old line that Pennsy politics is Pittsburgh and Philly on the sides, and the middle bit is Alabama.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm

Highly recommend The Social Dilemma on Netflix if you haven't seen it yet. Doesn't really tell us more than we already know but to hear it from these specific people is kinda terrifying.
Concur, we just watched it last night. Didn't care for the dramatic narrative stuff, but the interviews were fascinating and terrifying

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:58 pm

Concur, we just watched it last night. Didn't care for the dramatic narrative stuff, but the interviews were fascinating and terrifying
Totally agree with the dramatized stuff. And the constant fear inducing droning sound was basically doing one of the things the Doc was saying social media companies do. But man, to have it all laid out that way is eye opening.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:12 pm

I haven't watched that yet, but I think I know what you are talking about the narrative thing - highly dramatized almost reenactments of events told by the actual people. It seems to be the new documentary style, as I've seen it in two other recent documentaries (both on Netflix IIRC). Really annoying.

It appears JJ Abrams' Challenger doc (also out on Netflix) doesn't suffer much from this through the first couple of episodes.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:25 pm

Your lawn is racist.

Is it time to decolonize your lawn?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... your-lawn/
“What is a lawn but a statement of control over nature?” asks John Douglas Belshaw, a Canadian history professor at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, B.C.

“That’s a huge part of settler culture. You see that river there? We can dam that. We can organize that water, we can make that water work for us. It’s essentially the same mindset. I can reorganize this landscape, flatten it, plant lawn, find a non-indigenous species of plant, of grass, and completely extract anything that’s not homogenous, that doesn’t fit with this green pattern and control it ... A backyard with a big lawn is like a classroom for colonialism and environmental hostility.”

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:32 pm

That dude either has way too much time on his hands or really hates mowing the grass.