Politics And Current Events

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:48 pm

Bernie Sanders had a heart attack
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/politics ... index.html

Sanders might have survived an MI at 78 years old, but I'm thinking it's doubtful that his campaign will do so.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:51 pm

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:57 pm

:face:

Yep.
Yep. It is such a trolling post to ask someone to clarify a statement that seems like they said our country was similar to Russia.

But here's how this game (always) plays out:

-Someone answers and clarifies the post after you ask
-You focus on one hyper-specific part and claim that they didn't answer or you try to claim they said something that wasn't there
-They tell you to read the rest of the post
-You get angry because you're still hyper-focused on why they won't clarify that one specific thing
-They get annoyed because, yet again, they made the decision to humor you and you won't listen to what they are trying to say
-You get more angry because they had gotten tired of your act and still never answered about the part you made up or took out of context

Rinse and repeat for literally every issue.

People are tired of it, nobody. Why do you think it always devolves here? It is literally impossible to engage you without you taking things down the shitter.

I don't even know why I'm engaging right now, to be perfectly honest.
I asked MWB to answer my question, because he really didn’t, even after rereading it several times. He then answered it and I proceeded to answer his question about where is my breaking point.

Troy Loney didn’t clarify his until way after I asked him to.

Look at yourself in the mirror. You come in here constantly to demonize other posters.
Yes, but getting from point a to point b with you is a long and winding road. I assume you enjoy the banter of the trip, but it’s irritating at times, especially when you get to the generalize and belittle phase.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:06 pm

Sanders might have survived an MI at 78 years old, but I'm thinking it's doubtful that his campaign will do so.

New polls will be interesting. Warren was already surging. I'd think any voters Sanders loses because of this would most likely go to her.

Looks like Pocohantas is coming for that synthetic scalp...

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:07 pm

Unless President Pelosi pulls off her coup...

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:09 pm

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:20 pm

And just when I thought that it couldn't possibly get any worse, today I saw a 'Ted Nugent for President' bumper sticker...

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:23 pm

And just when I thought that it couldn't possibly get any worse, today I saw a 'Ted Nugent for President' bumper sticker...
Wouldnt be bad for the parks service.

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:22 pm

The boring scolds are at it again.

The judge not only approached her in the courtroom, but she was also still dressed in her robe. What is your objection to the complaint?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:27 pm

INixon didn't cross 50% favoring impeachment until late July 1974 after 9 months of formal impeachment hearings.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:32 pm

Probably took nine months to do the polls by hand dial telephone.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:32 pm

Uh oh tif commented on it. Now trump will get re-elected.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:12 am

The thing that I'm sort of interested in, which I haven't heard any discussion about yet, is if/when this goes to the Senate, there will be, what, four presidential candidates voting on this. I'm not sure that's a good look.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:50 am

Yeah, Sanders being out almost guarantees a Warren primary victory IMO. Of all of the D candidates, she's second only to Sanders in people I don't want anywhere near the WH. Elizabeth Warren, nor Hillary for that matter, should have the privilege of being the first female president in office. I think it's too late for Tulsi though :(

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:14 am

Tulsi has been bombarding my phone about campaign appearances down here. Robocalls and text messages. No thanks.

It's nice having the Democratic candidates visiting SC, because if one of them wins POTUS, we won't see them here again unless there's a mass shooting or hurricane. :lol:

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:55 am

Trade relations with other countries
Ever growing debt
Deepening divide in this country politically, racially, ethnically
Supreme Court picks
Redefining how to run a campaign
Redefining the importance of facts

1.Trump is certainly affecting trade relations, but I'm not sure how that would produce an effect that would outlast the Trump administration. Every administration can effect its own trade priorities and negotiations.

2.Ever-growing debt is absolutely a problem, but that's hardly something unique to Trump. The lessons from both Bush and Obama indicate that neither political party is willing to address the national debt in any meaningful fashion.

3.The deepening political divide is a significant problem, and I will absolutely give you that Trump (and the Democrat's response to Trump) is accelerating that divide. Trump didn't start that divide, however; the increasing polarization and separation of the two main political parties accelerated long before Trump was a thing. And unfortunately, I doubt that Trump leaving office will close the divide.

4.I happen to quite approve of Trump's SCOTUS picks (and his other judicial nominations), so I'm respecfully not going to agree with you that that's a a problem.

5.Campaigns in the US have long been vicious, and in many cases today's campaigns pale in comparison to the level of acrimony that were present in 19th century elections. I don't like nasty campaigns, but this country saw them for plenty of years and survived.

6.I think "redefining the importance of facts" is just another way to refer to the deepening political divide. Both sides are perfectly willing to engage in willful blindness and obfuscation when it comes to facts that will damage "their team."
1. I agree that each president implements his or her own trade policy and can change what trump has done. The damage is in the relations aspect of that. Maybe leaders of countries trump has alienated will see new leadership and be fine. Maybe they’ll hold a grudge, as it were. I think it will be the former, but i don’t think it’s a shoe in.

2. Obviously this is not a problem unique to trump, but it is a long term consequence that he has deepened the debt, and done so at a time when we should be shedding some debt. Because others have done it doesn’t take away from that point.

3. Yes, the political divide was there before trump. As you say, he’s making it worse. The fact that it won’t close when he leaves office speaks to long term consequence. He poured gas on a campfire to make it a forest fire. Lots of leadership change needs to happen to sway in the other direction, but it starts at the top.

4. There are positive and negative consequences, we just disagree on the type of consequence for this one.

5. I wasn’t really talking about the viciousness of the campaign, but the 24 hour news cycle and social media has made that a completely different animal than it was in the 19th century. I was speaking more to the latest news with trump. He is attempting to make it the norm to openly ask foreign countries to tamper with elections. How much of an impact does this end up having with the validity, perceived or real, of our elections? I don’t think that’s a good thing. If the response is that Democrats do it too, my response is that it’s not good then either.

6. Yes, both sides lie. Again, trump has taken it to another level, in a measurable way. It is the norm for him to lie. Everyone expects, unfortunately, a certain amount of lying. Somehow, it’s gotten to the point with trump where he can say complete lies and his base will absolutely believe him. That aspect is not unique, but the level at which it happens is.

Ted

Postby Ted » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:18 pm

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:24 pm

A warming climate isn’t a fantasy. What I hate is the absolute resistance to all things fossil fuels. I would love to be 100% renewables or nuclear power, but that isn’t achievable right now. We should be doing everything in our power to bridge the between the “dirty” fossil fuels and the renewables. Get rid of heating oil by bringing in NG while other long term solutions are made cheaper. We shouldn’t be having dumbass climate change people blocking a 50% reduction in carbon emissions because it is natural gas. Use natural gas as the temporary bridge while we move to a majority renewables in the next couple of decades.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Would love to meet Vergil.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:59 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Are social justice warriors just bored at this point? I feel like they've accomplished all of the big ticket agenda items over the last ten years and now they are just bored as ****.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:52 pm

I read the article and my take was they didn't mean targeting as "let's give the gays cancer" so much as "the gays love to tan so maybe we should put tanning salons close to where they live." Which is probably true.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:55 pm

What the hell is an LGBT neighborhood?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:00 pm

What the hell is an LGBT neighborhood?
A Gayborhood

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:01 pm

I imagine a very gay friendly one...tanning salons, gay bars, no Chick-Fil-A's, etc.

Philly has one...the Gayborhood...