Politics And Current Events

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:36 am

Will President Pelosi even run for re-election?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:20 am

This tweet seems like it was a bad idea

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:21 am

Tell us the proper interpretation. Should we have not read your post and just read your mind?
Disclaimer, this is clearly a waste of time, but I think I'll go ahead and do it anyway.

I posed the question, "what do people think the difference is between the US and Russia".

The question assumes that there is a difference, so the premise that I implied Trump and Putin are the same is actually the opposite of what I was saying, because being the same and being different would be opposites.

My reason for posing the question was based on Trump's DOJ and DOS working to benefit Trump and not the country. IMIO (in my "ignorant" opinion), this is how authoritarian governments operate. I think that the "difference" between US and Russia is our checks and balances system that combats open corruption (we like our corruption to be in the form of lobbying and post-service "consulting"). By discounting these blatant manipulations of government agencies and their subsequent obstruction of congressional oversight, you weaken the checks and balances.

That of course isn't the only difference between the two, Russia is run by an organized crime outfit that emerged post-privatization, they are a seasoned crime state, I think to assume the US can't go down that path is conflicted by the arguments that Trump's conduct shouldn't be penalized.

The idea that the US and Russia are the same, or that anyone would even argue that, is completely preposterous, so to interpret a question that asks "what the difference is" as stating that they are the same is something. So, next time, before constructing a high horse to climb on, maybe think reexamine the question to not assume that people who disagree with you are idiots.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:36 am

I don't understand what people think the difference is between Putin's Russia and the US. It's like there's this assumption that the "institutions" will protect from tyranny...then argue against employing those machinations to combat authoritarian tendencies.
Where is the question in this? It seems like a statement of opinion.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 am

I don't understand what people think the difference is between Putin's Russia and the US. It's like there's this assumption that the "institutions" will protect from tyranny...then argue against employing those machinations to combat authoritarian tendencies.
Where is the question in this? It seems like a statement of opinion.
A statement asking what people think the difference is.

But yes, it could have been worded cleaner. But it would never occur to me to think that the US and Russia are the same.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:39 am

RE: Checks and Balances

The checks and balances only work if there isn't one side that also appears to be complicit in allowing us to reach this point. The inaction and conduct of GOP leaders in Congress regarding this from Mitch McConnell down is appalling. The obstructionism, intentional obfuscation, and lack of spine is how we have gotten to this point with Trump in the first place, and it's all because he has an R next to his name.

The checks and balances cannot work if one side refuses to carry their end of the bargain to balance the executive's conduct.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:49 am

RE: Checks and Balances

The checks and balances only work if there isn't one side that also appears to be complicit in allowing us to reach this point. The inaction and conduct of GOP leaders in Congress regarding this from Mitch McConnell down is appalling. The obstructionism, intentional obfuscation, and lack of spine is how we have gotten to this point with Trump in the first place, and it's all because he has an R next to his name.

The checks and balances cannot work if one side refuses to carry their end of the bargain to balance the executive's conduct.
Well now that we actually have an dadhole in the white House that should not be allowed to be president, no one cares because everyone was always hitler, the biggest racist ever, the biggest sexist ever, and etc. Wolf was cried too many times. So now an environment was created where this type of person will be accepted by a segment of the country.
Last edited by grunthy on Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:52 am

I'm failing to see what that post has to do with Congress doing their job in the checks and balances system.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:59 am

I'm failing to see what that post has to do with Congress doing their job in the checks and balances system.
Without a prosecutable crime, good luck removing a president with a party approval above 90%.

The Dems would do the same thing to get re-elected in their districts or states.

Voting is one of the ultimate checks and balances.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:02 am

But that's exactly my point. Congress and the legislative branch is supposed to be there to balance out the executive. That should be done regardless of party. It isn't being done. And then you say "Well checks and balances will stop him from doing XYZ"... the branch responsible for checks and balances have let him get away with everything from A to W because half of the people in it either don't care or actively engage in enabling the executive.. What have they shown you that makes you say they would even consider drawing a line and be like "OK, that's enough"?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:09 am

But that's exactly my point. Congress and the legislative branch is supposed to be there to balance out the executive. That should be done regardless of party. It isn't being done.
Blame how congress appeals to their voters by talking to the lunatic fringe in each party. It’s causing a massive partisan divide.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:13 am

But that's exactly my point. Congress and the legislative branch is supposed to be there to balance out the executive. That should be done regardless of party. It isn't being done. And then you say "Well checks and balances will stop him from doing XYZ"... the branch responsible for checks and balances have let him get away with everything from A to W because half of the people in it either don't care or actively engage in enabling the executive.. What have they shown you that makes you say they would even consider drawing a line and be like "OK, that's enough"?
Our system has so many checks and balances built in that it is virtually impossible for someone to accumulate power and cause us to go down the path of organized crime government like Russia. He has already done enough that I don’t believe he should be in office anymore. I just believe removal by impeachment isn’t the answer. Voting him out is. Though he will **** ing win again if warren is the nominee.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:21 am

And Trump's actions as President are casting doubt on the premise that we'll have a free and fair election.

Using the DOJ and DOS to manufacture dirt on your challengers does that. That he was caught doing that is reason enough to impeach and not make his removal up to the electorate.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 am

And Trump's actions as President are casting doubt on the premise that we'll have a free and fair election.

Using the DOJ and DOS to manufacture dirt on your challengers does that. That he was caught doing that is reason enough to impeach and not make his removal up to the electorate.
So you have your excuse already built in if warren is the nominee I guess...

Trump is such a gigantic ass that is corrupt to the core, so whatever he manufactures will pale in comparison to who he is running against. But people will vote like they always do if some of their core policies are in danger (like 2nd amendment and such).

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:43 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:46 am

The funny thing is the baby-eating lady is a Trump supporter.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:47 am

Also, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I will point out that eating babies would indeed be a solution to the climate crisis. In theory.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... nned-stunt
Conservatives attacked Ocasio-Cortez over a bizarre town hall speaker. Now, a pro-Trump fringe group says it planned the stunt.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:56 am

L-I-V-I-N

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:56 am

Wow between this and the Elizabeth Warren sex scandal, the democrats are in disarray!

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:58 am

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/46 ... n-politics
To quote the great Marcus Aurelius from The Gladiator, “Your faults as a son are my failures as a father.” I owe all of my work ethic, character, integrity, and moral fiber to my father. Hunter Biden can say the same.
Ah yes, Marcus Aurelius, from the Russell Crowe movie.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:58 am

Hoaxes are suddenly a big deal. Just this one tho.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:03 am

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/46 ... n-politics
To quote the great Marcus Aurelius from The Gladiator, “Your faults as a son are my failures as a father.” I owe all of my work ethic, character, integrity, and moral fiber to my father. Hunter Biden can say the same.
Ah yes, Marcus Aurelius, from the Russell Crowe movie.
That’s just amazing. The great Marcus Aurelius from the Gladiator LOLOLOLOL

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:23 am

Wow between this and the Elizabeth Warren sex scandal, the democrats are in disarray!
The dam is breaking...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:23 am

Also, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I will point out that eating babies would indeed be a solution to the climate crisis. In theory.
Do you just substitute baby in for veal?