Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:50 pm

i don't why this is so hard. if the president of the united states is allowed to have dictatorial regime investigate his political opponents then it is exactly like russia. to say it hasnt happened here in america is ludicrous given that it has happened and its happening now.
Russia doesn't have foreign governments do that, they just do the investigating and then "whoopsie radiation poisoning! Not sure how that happened???"

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:51 pm

The boring scolds are at it again.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:51 pm

i don't why this is so hard. if the president of the united states is allowed to have dictatorial regime investigate his political opponents then it is exactly like russia. to say it hasnt happened here in america is ludicrous given that it has happened and its happening now.
Because you’d have to be ignorant to think that they are the same.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:52 pm

Totally overlooking. Got it.

Trump's a joke, we all know it.

Literally zero percent of this is surprising.

Bush killed over a million innocent people through his actions.

I'll take the Broken Lizard Presidency over that.
The point that some people here make, that you and nobody dismiss, is that we think Trump will have long term consequences for the country. That he’s leading the country down a bad path. That doesn’t mean it’s already there and the US equals russia, but it’s not as ridiculous as you want to make it sound that we could be heading that way. Maybe you’re right, and maybe he’s just for laughs, but evidence is piling up that it’s more than that.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:55 pm

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:57 pm

The point that some people here make, that you and nobody dismiss, is that we think Trump will have long term consequences for the country. That he’s leading the country down a bad path. That doesn’t mean it’s already there and the US equals russia, but it’s not as ridiculous as you want to make it sound that we could be heading that way. Maybe you’re right, and maybe he’s just for laughs, but evidence is piling up that it’s more than that.
How will our country ever get to be like Russia? It’s basically impossible for someone to assume power like that and hold it.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 pm

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:05 pm

He is asking for this to be kept in the news for as long as possible. Even an impeached trump beats warren.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:09 pm

How will our country ever get to be like Russia? It’s basically impossible for someone to assume power like that and hold it.
Is there a breaking point for you? Is there a point where you say, “hey, we’re letting things go a bit too far here, maybe we should pull back a little”? Trump has pushed back at every turn. He’s called the impeachment process, the current check on his power, illegitimate. A stance that his supporters cheer. Ultimately, I do think that this will pass and the checks will work. But it is concerning to me, and I think just laughing it off and turning a blind eye to history is foolish.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:09 pm

Could you elaborate on what you believe some of those long-term consequences would be?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 pm

Is there a breaking point for you? Is there a point where you say, “hey, we’re letting things go a bit too far here, maybe we should pull back a little”? Trump has pushed back at every turn. He’s called the impeachment process, the current check on his power, illegitimate. A stance that his supporters cheer. Ultimately, I do think that this will pass and the checks will work. But it is concerning to me, and I think just laughing it off and turning a blind eye to history is foolish.
Answer my question first. Then I’ll answer your deflection.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:19 pm

Could you elaborate on what you believe some of those long-term consequences would be?
Trade relations with other countries
Ever growing debt
Deepening divide in this country politically, racially, ethnically
Supreme Court picks
Redefining how to run a campaign
Redefining the importance of facts

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:26 pm

You seriously have the mentality of a five year old sometimes. Maybe. It was a conversation point, not a deflection, and if you actually paid attention to what I said, the answer was baked in. I guess I didn’t explicitly answer your question, so I’ll say outright what I thought was obvious. Heading towards the same situation as Russia doesn’t mean being like Russia. But trump hints at, or explicitly states things, that are dictatorial. If checks don’t work and enough support him, then eventually you end up like Russia. No, I don’t expect that to happen. That doesn’t mean I’m ok with starting down that path.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:26 pm

Ever growing debt
Supreme Court picks
- probably will go back to normal for most countries
- when wasn’t this a problem?
- again, when wasn’t this happening?
- you’re right gay marriage would never allowed with a conservative benc... oh wait...
- how so?
- When political fact checkers have ranked things as “mostly true” I think this has already happened

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Ever growing debt
Supreme Court picks
- you’re right gay marriage would never allowed with a conservative benc... oh wait...
- how so?
- When political fact checkers have ranked things as “mostly true” I think this has already happened
Not defending Trump right? You’re a joke

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 pm

I'd guess they're the same consequences that we were promised we'd already be feeling by now.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:29 pm

You seriously have the mentality of a five year old sometimes. Maybe. It was a conversation point, not a deflection, and if you actually paid attention to what I said, the answer was baked in. I guess I didn’t explicitly answer your question, so I’ll say outright what I thought was obvious. Heading towards the same situation as Russia doesn’t mean being like Russia. But trump hints at, or explicitly states things, that are dictatorial. If checks don’t work and enough support him, then eventually you end up like Russia. No, I don’t expect that to happen. That doesn’t mean I’m ok with starting down that path.
How would the checks not work? Where in the constitution would it allow him to stay in power? Do you honestly believe if trump (or anyone) just said “I’m not leaving.” that the country would just be like... “well ****.. ok.”

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Ever growing debt
Supreme Court picks
- how so?
Tell me with facts where I am wrong. Then you can say I’m defending trump. Otherwise your just being lazy and ignorant.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:33 pm

Ever growing debt
Supreme Court picks
- how so?
Tell me with facts where I am wrong. Then you can say I’m defending trump. Otherwise your just being lazy and ignorant.
“probably go back to normal with most countries”. - nobody Fact

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:33 pm

How would the checks not work? Where in the constitution would it allow him to stay in power? Do you honestly believe if trump (or anyone) just said “I’m not leaving.” that the country would just be like... “well ****.. ok.”
He’s attacking the constitution already be attacking impeachment. Again, you’re framing it like I think it will happen when I’ve already said I don’t. That I’m just not comfortable shifting in that direction. I can only assume you are comfortable with that shift though.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:37 pm

He’s attacking the constitution already be attacking impeachment. Again, you’re framing it like I think it will happen when I’ve already said I don’t. That I’m just not comfortable shifting in that direction. I can only assume you are comfortable with that shift though.
People attack the constitution all the time. But the institutions or the people of the United States have fought back. Until the point that both of those stop fighting back, then I’ll be worried.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:40 pm

Ever growing debt
Supreme Court picks
- how so?
“probably go back to normal with most countries”. - nobody Fact
Considering from the mouths of democratic nominees that they will still be holding China accountable, just maybe not to how trump is doing it, is why I said probably with most countries.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Ever growing debt
Supreme Court picks

Trump is certainly affecting trade relations, but I'm not sure how that would produce an effect that would outlast the Trump administration. Every administration can effect its own trade priorities and negotiations.

Ever-growing debt is absolutely a problem, but that's hardly something unique to Trump. The lessons from both Bush and Obama indicate that neither political party is willing to address the national debt in any meaningful fashion.

The deepening political divide is a significant problem, and I will absolutely give you that Trump (and the Democrat's response to Trump) is accelerating that divide. Trump didn't start that divide, however; the increasing polarization and separation of the two main political parties accelerated long before Trump was a thing. And unfortunately, I doubt that Trump leaving office will close the divide.

I happen to quite approve of Trump's SCOTUS picks (and his other judicial nominations), so I'm respecfully not going to agree with you that that's a a problem.

Campaigns in the US have long been vicious, and in many cases today's campaigns pale in comparison to the level of acrimony that were present in 19th century elections. I don't like nasty campaigns, but this country saw them for plenty of years and survived.

I think "redefining the importance of facts" is just another way to refer to the deepening political divide. Both sides are perfectly willing to engage in willful blindness and obfuscation when it comes to facts that will damage "their team."

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:24 am

Thats a very good summary of what's happening, imo.