Politics And Current Events

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:36 pm

3/3

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:38 pm

My republican parents are still going to vote for Biden but it won't matter in SC.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:41 pm

This is crazy.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:44 pm

Still voting for Biden?
Yes. I am not a huge fan of Harris, but I rather have her than another 4 years of the incredible incompetence, corruption, and flaming dumpster full of dog poop that has been the Trump administration.
This is why it’s hard for me to understand people saying Harris is the tipping point for keeping Trump in office (which is what I would consider a non-Biden vote). It’s very hard to deny any of the above, unless you’re an ardent Trump supporter. So is Harris that much of a threat to be worse?

Obviously the point can be made that you don’t want to vote for someone you don’t support. I know I’ve done that instead of voting in direct opposition of someone (W). I just see this one as binary though.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:52 pm

Naw, there’s still plenty of pet projects Trump supports that regardless the size of the fire, run of the mill conservatives will back.

I do however find Kamala an interesting tipping point, because she’s very Biden-like on crime and I don’t remember her on MFA until the debates pushed her that way. She doesn’t really expand the ticket’s umbrella.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:54 pm

This is why it’s hard for me to understand people saying Harris is the tipping point for keeping Trump in office
Besides dodint, who is saying that?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:03 pm

My position is that the election is not a slam dunk and this VP pick will do more harm than good. It's like they are entirely tone deaf about the cultural revolution that is occurring.
Unless 'Defund the Police' means 'don't pay for body cams', then yeah, they've got their finger on the pulse.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:05 pm

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:15 pm

Still voting for Biden?
Yes. I am not a huge fan of Harris, but I rather have her than another 4 years of the incredible incompetence, corruption, and flaming dumpster full of dog poop that has been the Trump administration.
Yup to all.

I think I would’ve preferred Rice, but I didn’t get asked.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:16 pm

VP has never really made a difference to me. I think the first time I even heard Pence speak was in 2018

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:17 pm

My favorite (ex) Senator is a man of many talents:

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:31 pm

It's really not bad at all...compare to any of the many instances of their opening song of the 1981 tour widely available on YT...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:52 pm

My position is that the election is not a slam dunk and this VP pick will do more harm than good. It's like they are entirely tone deaf about the cultural revolution that is occurring.
Unless 'Defund the Police' means 'don't pay for body cams', then yeah, they've got their finger on the pulse.
I don't really think there was a possible pick out there that would have helped Biden. Harris is apparently good with the donors and shouldln't really alienate the suburban voters that Biden is banking on. I think (and hope) for a lot of people, this election is just about getting the psycho out of office.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:21 am

Im registered as a non partisan and have not voted in a presidential election. I’m voting for Biden and Harris is meh to me.

I wouldn’t have voted at all if warren was on the ticket

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:42 am

Grifting is hard. About two years apart.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:49 am

Only 99% shad. Try again

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 am

Maybe it's just the vocal minority that like to hear themselves talk, but why do we (all sides have them) hold people to a standard of you can't change your mind? Once you pick a stance, that's it! It's a weird narrative thrown upon people. I flip flop all the time as things/time change and I understand more. It's always a parade of what this person said in a 2 minute window 10 years ago and we trip over ourselves to call them out on it.

Even if what he said 2 years ago is correct, doesn't make what he says now less correct. Also, doesn't mean that the stance on criminal justice can't change. Too many people who can't/won't think for themselves so we shoehorn one direction. Maybe that's the issue. They know this and shout, "see, they changed their mind! And people sit around and say, you know this person is right. Topic or circumstance be damned.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:51 am

Maybe it's just the vocal minority that like to hear themselves talk, but why do we (all sides have them) hold people to a standard of you can't change your mind? Once you pick a stance, that's it! It's a weird narrative thrown upon people. I flip flop all the time as things/time change and I understand more. It's always a parade of what this person said in a 2 minute window 10 years ago and we trip over ourselves to call them out on it.

Even if what he said 2 years ago is correct, doesn't make what he says now less correct. Also, doesn't mean that the stance on criminal justice can't change. Too many people who can't/won't think for themselves so we shoehorn one direction. Maybe that's the issue. They know this and shout, "see, they changed their mind! And people sit around and say, you know this person is right. Topic or circumstance be damned.
I agree with you, people do evolve. However, this is the price you pay for putting your opinion out on Twitter constantly. And in King's case, despite his insistence to the contrary, this is an obvious attempt to endear himself to the establishment Ds now that it is clear who our next president (or two presidents) will be.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:55 am

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/crim ... 41753dc505
D.C. Police Chief Peter Newsham said 22 people were shot. He said 21 individuals were adults, including 12 of which are women, 9 male victims and 16 people between the ages of 20-29 years old.

One of those victims includes a 22-year-old off-duty 1st District Police officer, who was shot in the neck and is currently struggling for her life, D.C. police said. As of Monday, she has seen some improvement in her recovery, Newsham said.

Cousin Octavia Brown and grandmother Patience Brown said the fatal victim was their loved one,17-year old Christopher Brown, a father to 1-year-old Elijah and an expecting father with a baby on the way. Police said he was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

One neighbor told WUSA9 that the shooting occurred during a block party or cookout that was kicking off on the residential street late Saturday night, with "hundreds" of people in the street.
I've been through Southeast DC enough times to know I would not want to hang around a large block party gathering for long. Only a matter of time before the shooting starts.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:57 am

4 years ago, I held my nose and voted Clinton. With actually seeing 4 years of Trump, I have zero hesitation in voting for Biden/Harris. None.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:13 am

This is why it’s hard for me to understand people saying Harris is the tipping point for keeping Trump in office
Besides dodint, who is saying that?
nobody said he’d have to think about voting Biden now and Mikey seemed to be questioning it maybe (although don’t know if he votes)? That said, I don’t think it’s a big group.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:13 am

MAGA people are stealing USPS trucks to cancel mail-in voting!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:16 am

Well said. We do it all the time, taking a snapshot of ones position at one point, then another later on, and judge without context. Twitter is perfect for this. There are undoubtedly people who flip positions for no other reason than to look better, but there’s usually a lot more to it than that.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:24 am

Well said. We do it all the time, taking a snapshot of ones position at one point, then another later on, and judge without context. Twitter is perfect for this. There are undoubtedly people who flip positions for no other reason than to look better, but there’s usually a lot more to it than that.
Does Kamala Harris still think Biden is a racist sexual predator or is that just "debate stuff"?

In other words do those epithets still mean anything?

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:50 am

Does Kamala Harris still think Biden is a racist sexual predator or is that just "debate stuff"?

In other words do those epithets still mean anything?
It’s like you had a prepared dossier of every possible VP pick to rattle off negatives like you’re Kellyanne Conway

When did Kamala call Biden a racist? Cause I’m pretty sure it didn’t happen

I also think it’s interesting how these epithets are an issue for the Democrats but Trump has said things about Ted Cruz and half of the Republican Party and it’s unsurprisingly no big deal