Politics And Current Events

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:26 pm

What happens if all the Republicans just vote present?

I kinda buy the fear for their families thing. I mean I get most of you guys probably think its a "plant/grow" thing or whatever the cool people say, but I doubt you actually want their spouses and children to have to live in fear, regardless of their perceived role in causing it.
Yea, I feel for their families. Do you think they care even an ounce about that when they spout this rhetoric? Or is it just perceived as a victimless crime?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:27 pm

You could actually argue that in 2021, punching up is allowed and encouraged, and punching down (or even doing something that someone somewhere might loosely interpret as punching down) gets you completely canceled.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:29 pm

unity...unity...unity...UNITY...UNITY...UNITY...

(except for where I'm basically a terrorist that will turn on you when it's politically advantageous)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:29 pm

If you let people get away with **** like this, they'll continue, and it will eventually escalate.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:29 pm

I kinda buy the fear for their families thing. I mean I get most of you guys probably think its a "plant/grow" thing or whatever the cool people say, but I doubt you actually want their spouses and children to have to live in fear, regardless of their perceived role in causing it.
Yea, I feel for their families. Do you think they care even an ounce about that when they spout this rhetoric? Or is it just perceived as a victimless crime?
I dont know. That's why I said I kinda buy it. I mean like MWB said, the primary factor is whether or not they need their Trump base to vote for them in future congressional elections.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:31 pm

You could actually argue that in 2021, punching up is allowed and encouraged, and punching down (or even doing something that someone somewhere might loosely interpret as punching down) gets you completely canceled.

I updated what I said pre-tweet you're responding to. I dont know how to decouple the 2nd tweet (which is what I wanted to focus on) from the tweet above it. Any tweet in a thread always shows the tweet before it when we post here.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:31 pm

That’s why I think their fear of harm is being overstated. They are afraid of the harm of being primaried

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:32 pm

She ran on the platform of “I like guns and people want to **** me”. Very little she does or says is going to make sense.
The crazy outweighs the hot by a good bit. Seems like a very fun time and a whole lot of trouble after.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:32 pm

It will fail. You need 2/3 of members present to vote to convict. Would be better is they simply didn't appear for the trial/vote. If they get to 10 GOP Senators that are willing to vote to convict, and the rest of the GOP caucus takes a vacation day, that will get it done.

But this is very much a plant/grow situation. They've enabled and abetted Trump's nonsense for 4 years, and they had the chance 12 months ago to make it go away and they chose to continue sniffing their own farts. I feel terrible for their family members that they have to face this, but I remain completely p**sed off that these s**t bags are acting like they've been caught off guard by this. They've actively gone out of their way - are still going out of their way - to cultivate this reality, f**k them.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:33 pm

She ran on the platform of “I like guns and people want to **** me”. Very little she does or says is going to make sense.
The crazy outweighs the hot by a good bit. Seems like a very fun time and a whole lot of trouble after.
She's definitely boiled a few pet rabbits in her day.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:35 pm

I updated what I said pre-tweet you're responding to. I dont know how to decouple the 2nd tweet (which is what I wanted to focus on) from the tweet above it. Any tweet in a thread always shows the tweet before it when we post here.
The forum is being weird. I can't watch embedded videos or click a tweet and be directed to Twitter.

My response applies more to her 2nd tweet anyway. The concept of "consequence culture" is vindictive and stupid. Acting like its ok to punch up but not punch down isn't evening the scores, its making things worse.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:35 pm

That’s why I think their fear of harm is being overstated. They are afraid of the harm of being primaried
I would've said that 12 months ago for the first impeachment. But now, the mob is responsible for 5 dead bodies in their office building, so the fear of physical harm is much more tangible now.

But like I said, they've gone out of their way for years to enable this tw*t and Cult45 goons, so f**k them.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:38 pm

Never mind misread
Last edited by Troy Loney on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:38 pm

These cowards aren't going to do anything

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:38 pm

It will fail. You need 2/3 of members present to vote to convict. Would be better is they simply didn't appear for the trial/vote. If they get to 10 GOP Senators that are willing to vote to convict, and the rest of the GOP caucus takes a vacation day, that will get it done.

But this is very much a plant/grow situation. They've enabled and abetted Trump's nonsense for 4 years, and they had the chance 12 months ago to make it go away and they chose to continue sniffing their own farts. I feel terrible for their family members that they have to face this, but I remain completely p**sed off that these s**t bags are acting like they've been caught off guard by this. They've actively gone out of their way - are still going out of their way - to cultivate this reality, f**k them.
I misinterpreted one of your posts from yesterday. I for some reason read it as 2/3 of the senate has to be present for the vote and then a simple majority gets it done.

Sounds like its actually 2/3rd of those present have to vote yes. Right?

My Civics teacher would be pissed.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:40 pm

The forum is being weird. I can't watch embedded videos or click a tweet and be directed to Twitter.

My response applies more to her 2nd tweet anyway. The concept of "consequence culture" is vindictive and stupid. Acting like its ok to punch up but not punch down isn't evening the scores, its making things worse.

I didn't really take punching up/down out of that, in regards to the current situation. I just thought it was relevant to today's proceedings.

Reps like Jordan, Graham, and Gaetz are mad and calling for unity and blaming "cancel culture" because they don't want to face consequences for their actions in riling up their base to do what they did last week. And they 100% should (i think we're both in agreement on this?). It's just a bunch of hot air coming out because they know what they did was bad and they want to avoid having to face the music.

Though now that I think about it, isn't it the job of constituents to hold their reps accountable, aka "punching up"?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:41 pm

Boebert sucks

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:43 pm

"The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried the Chief Justice shall preside; And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present."

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:43 pm

"The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried the Chief Justice shall preside; And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present."
So the idea is Mitch won't show up to vote?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:44 pm

Source of the post "The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried the Chief Justice shall preside; And no Person shall be convicted
FTFY

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:46 pm

I didn't really take punching up/down out of that, in regards to the current situation. I just thought it was relevant to today's proceedings.

Reps like Jordan, Graham, and Gaetz are mad and calling for unity and blaming "cancel culture" because they don't want to face consequences for their actions in riling up their base to do what they did last week. And they 100% should (i think we're both in agreement on this?). It's just a bunch of hot air coming out because they know what they did was bad and they want to avoid having to face the music.

Though now that I think about it, isn't it the job of constituents to hold their reps accountable, aka "punching up"?
I shall direct the gentleposterman to the posts earlier in the day illustrating the contorted district Mr Jordan represents that just sent him back to Washington by a 30-point margin.

The number of voters who comprise that margin that might be moved to vote 'other' in 2022 is likely offset by the number in that margin who tacitly or actively support the events of 1/6.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:50 pm

Boebert sucks
sign me up

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:50 pm

Oh ya. She's completely nuts.
Boebert sucks
That's definitely the hope for a lot of voters.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:50 pm

The cop out du jour seems to be that they don't want to rush through an impeachment without a thorough investigation. What do you want to investigate? Goodness