Politics And Current Events

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:11 am

Malls in Norway have already opened due their flat line curve of cases. Seems stupid to me, but maybe since they are a small country they have the ability to do something risky like this.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31 am

Malls in Norway have already opened due their flat line curve of cases. Seems stupid to me, but maybe since they are a small country they have the ability to do something risky like this.
I think I saw They believe they have all cases found and every contract traced. So they believe they have stopped the spread.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:35 am

Guess that’s the benefit of being a country with like 10 citizens.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:38 am

Bernie dropped out

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:52 am

It's been said, but if we (read: "leadership", where applicable) read the downward trend of positive cases/deaths as "the fog/mist has been lifted, we're free to go" ...we're going to get steamrolled again. That's not how this kind of thing works. If we're determined to get things rolling again - which I don't think is universally bad - it should be a softer roll-out...this way we can ration the medical resources we have as new cases crop up...and then early on in that cycle, we should develop a somewhat-effective treatment and then the soft opening grows slowly over time and eats up the idleness in the pie chart and over the span of several months things work themselves back towards normal or a new normal...
This. If they flip some switch on X day and everything goes back to "normal" then that is a big mistake IMO. But if they do some slow return, controlled, and start getting people back out into the world, businesses up and running, and are better prepared for the virus, it is the right move IMO.

Again, this virus is never going away. There will be spikes again and then periods of downturn. Just like any virus. The whole thing though is that hopefully the timing will be that we won't overwhelm and flood the medical system, and the system is better prepared for handling the virus going forward.

But at some point we have to get back to the world again, and if you are waiting for some unrealistic event of this virus disappearing, then we are in deep ****.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:53 am

Bernie dropped out
Good.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:55 am

Bernie dropped out
Good.
Yep. Now he needs to do everything he can to get his base to rally behind Biden.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:57 am

It's been said, but if we (read: "leadership", where applicable) read the downward trend of positive cases/deaths as "the fog/mist has been lifted, we're free to go" ...we're going to get steamrolled again. That's not how this kind of thing works. If we're determined to get things rolling again - which I don't think is universally bad - it should be a softer roll-out...this way we can ration the medical resources we have as new cases crop up...and then early on in that cycle, we should develop a somewhat-effective treatment and then the soft opening grows slowly over time and eats up the idleness in the pie chart and over the span of several months things work themselves back towards normal or a new normal...
This. If they flip some switch on X day and everything goes back to "normal" then that is a big mistake IMO. But if they do some slow return, controlled, and start getting people back out into the world, businesses up and running, and are better prepared for the virus, it is the right move IMO.

Again, this virus is never going away. There will be spikes again and then periods of downturn. Just like any virus. The whole thing though is that hopefully the timing will be that we won't overwhelm and flood the medical system, and the system is better prepared for handling the virus going forward.

But at some point we have to get back to the world again, and if you are waiting for some unrealistic event of this virus disappearing, then we are in deep ****.
I agree with this, I think the challenge being how deadly it is to the older population. Obviously you don't want to say "if it's your time, it's you're time," but I do believe someone is going to make a call to come to that.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:58 am

I imagine most of us office workers will be eased back in to a situation where time is split more between wfh and in office.

People will wear masks out when going to the store and such, and small retail store and services will open back up. Any manufacturing plants that closed will open back up.

Absent a vaccine, i still see travel, tourism, entertainment and dining being decimated.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:03 pm

Bernie dropped out
Good.
Yep. Now he needs to do everything he can to get his base to rally behind Biden.
Based of my FB thread, that might take alot.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:05 pm

Bernie dropped out
Good.
Based of my FB thread, that might take alot.
I was a Bernie guy in 2016 and I was a Bernie guy this election. If some people would rather not vote than vote for Biden, they don't really understand the big picture and were more worried about "winning" than actually instilling change.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:06 pm

"We are in mourning" "It is okay to grieve"

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:11 pm

"We are in mourning" "It is okay to grieve"
That mourning should've been done after Super Tuesday. That's when I conceded and came to terms with voting for Biden.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:31 pm

There will be a small and vocal part of his supporters that will make a big stink about not voting for Biden cause they know it will get a rise out of the alyssa milano's of the world.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:33 pm

There will be a small and vocal part of his supporters that will make a big stink about not voting for Biden cause they know it will get a rise out of the alyssa milano's of the world.
I can tell you, there is also a faction that see voting for Biden as a loss as well and won't be a part of it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:33 pm

If I were a Bernie supporter, and I saw something like this, I would be pretty adamant about not voting for the democrat.

I mean really? There are too many absolute dipshits that think it's more important to keep Bill Kristol in tow than to appeal to people on the left.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 pm

If I were a Bernie supporter, and I saw something like this, I would be pretty adamant about not voting for the democrat.

I mean really? There are too many absolute dipshits that think it's more important to keep Bill Kristol in tow than to appeal to people on the left.
I don't see the connection between the tweet you posted and your commentary.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:42 pm

It should be Biden's job to get these people to vote for him, he has to convince these folks that he will represent them.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:44 pm

It should be Biden's job to get these people to vote for him, he has to convince these folks that he will represent them BETTER THAN TRUMP.
FIFY

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Although to go along with that, the knock on Bernie all along is that he's out for his own agenda, is completely myopic, and a Democrat in name only to try to get the White House. Not giving all he's got to move his support to Biden would be true to that image, and will fairly or not stick to his supporters.
And if you're going to stomp your feet and take your ball and go home if you don't get everything you want, nobody will every invite you to play with them again.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:52 pm

Hope he picks a good running mate because I don't know if he'll make it to 2024.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm not sure his brain will make it to November.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:01 pm

I'm sure it's up to the DNC (and I'm not saying this in any hopes that it happens), but what happens should Biden get incapacitated by the time of the election?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:13 pm

I'm sure it's up to the DNC (and I'm not saying this in any hopes that it happens), but what happens should Biden get incapacitated by the time of the election?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:25 pm

The delegates and those evil superdelegates I would guess.