Politics And Current Events

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:44 am

I'd be curious of the context around that statement. That being said it's still a dumb statement and comes across reallllly bad.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:47 am

Yikes...

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:56 am

Context doesn't really make it better in this case:
Obama, who was speaking with late-night host Stephen Colbert in London at an event to promote her memoir, “Becoming,” on Sunday, agreed with Colbert’s assessment that the country is like a teenager whose body is changing, according to the Independent.

“We are a teenager,” she said, “And we come from a broken family, we’re a teenager, we’re a little unsettled, and having good parents, it’s tough, sometimes you spend the weekend with divorced dad and that seems fun until you get sick. That’s what America is going through, living with divorced dad.”

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:10 am

Tone deaf at best.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:19 am

Yup, can't really say anything about that which hasn't already been said. There are a ton of great divorced dads out there, I know Factorial seems to be a devoted father. What an incredibly insulting thing to say.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:21 am

It just seems so weird. Says both parents are good but it's bad when you are sick. Getting sick happens, is a father completely incapable of helping a sick kid?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:22 am

It's very annoying being a father in today's world and people look at you like you're incapable of providing for your child from a parental support role.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 am

It's very annoying being a father in today's world and people look at you like you're incapable of providing for your child from a parental support role.
Yes, the stereotypes of dopey fathers that couldn't parent their way out of a paper bag are tiresome. How parenting is viewed in general (and don't get me started on the family courts) is one of the most sexist, discriminatory practices out there, but it doesn't get as much attention as, say, equal pay.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:33 am

Yeah, this has always been a pet peeve of mine. So many tv shows and commercials depict the dad as an imbecile. The "mom" role has evolved over the years to make it more reflective of the times, but hasn't happened as much with the "dad" role. Think it's changed a little, but "dumb dad" still a common trope.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 am

Yeah, this has always been a pet peeve of mine. So many tv shows and commercials depict the dad as an imbecile. The "mom" role has evolved over the years to make it more reflective of the times, but hasn't happened as much with the "dad" role. Think it's changed a little, but "dumb dad" still a common trope.
Mom is Wonderwoman, and Dad is just her handicapped human brother.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:37 am

I’m sure the Obama kids had a very normal childhood with 2 very normal parents who were present constantly, and gave them all the time and attention they needed.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:38 am

The "mom" role has evolved over the years to make it more reflective of the times, but hasn't happened as much with the "dad" role.
That's really the crux of it. Back in the day, most women were stay at home moms. So while I still don't like the stereotype, it at least made sense. Nowadays, most families feature two working parents. I (and I think many of us in here) pride ourselves on being highly engaged, active fathers. And let's not forget, there are plenty of awful, awful mothers out there.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:46 am

Yes, the stereotypes of dopey fathers that couldn't parent their way out of a paper bag are tiresome. How parenting is viewed in general (and don't get me started on the family courts) is one of the most sexist, discriminatory practices out there, but it doesn't get as much attention as, say, equal pay.
I think a lot of boomer dads are like that though.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 am

That said, still a dumb analogy.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:56 am

Denver-area schools are closed on Wednesday as authorities have launched a manhunt for a woman they say is dangerous and has made “credible threats” days before the 20th anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting.

Police are searching for 18-year-old Sol Pais who allegedly traveled from Miami to Colorado because she is “infatuated” with the school shooting, USA Today reported.

“This has become a massive manhunt,” said Dean Phillips, head of the Denver office of the FBI, during a Tuesday news conference.

Authorities described her as “armed” and “extremely dangerous” and said she flew from Florida on Monday night.
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... infatuated

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:59 am

That's a hard looking 18 year-old:

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:06 am

Eastern European?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:23 am

She went right from the airport to buy a shotgun, then disappeared into the woods near Columbine. WTF?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:25 am

I shall cast my lot with Michelle O. I thought it was a good analogy for capturing the unsettled feeling of disruption of the last couple years

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:32 am

Obama, who was speaking with late-night host Stephen Colbert in London at an event to promote her memoir, “Becoming,” on Sunday, agreed with Colbert’s assessment that the country is like a teenager whose body is changing, according to the Independent.

“We are a teenager,” she said, “And we come from a broken family, we’re a teenager, we’re a little unsettled, and having good parents, it’s tough, sometimes you spend the weekend with divorced dad and that seems fun until you get sick. That’s what America is going through, living with divorced dad.”
Yeah context is of no help here. Just an insulting statement. She is a smart woman, but what a dumb dumb statement.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 am

LATE-NIGHT TEXTS FROM RUDY … President Donald Trump’s lawyer RUDY GIULIANI to our colleague DARREN SAMUELSOHN, 2:54 a.m., on the size of the president’s “countereport” -- which will drop when the special counsel’s findings come out Thursday: “Now at 34 or 35. The more concise the better. 400 pages is a novel.”
1. why does he need a rebuttal to a report that completely exonerates the president
2. how did he write a 35 pg rebuttal if they haven't seen the Mueller report yet

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:37 am

I shall cast my lot with Michelle O. I thought it was a good analogy for capturing the unsettled feeling of disruption of the last couple years
The analogy makes sense and also disparages a large group of people.

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:38 am

Yeah context is of no help here. Just an insulting statement. She is a smart woman, but what a dumb dumb statement.
What an absolutely moronic analogy.

Well there goes any respect I had for her.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 am

This. It plays on a decades old stereotype so we all know what she meant by it and if you're anti-Trump you agree with the sentiment.
At the same time, it plays on a decades old stereotype that we have an entire thread on this board refuting. It's like when I take all three kids to the grocery store and little old ladies stop me to talk to me like I'm Superman. No ma'am, this is just what parenting in the 21st century looks like. The divorced Dad is loser who only wants to be their kids' best buddy trope needs to die by fire.

At the same time, isn't this what we always refer to as outrage culture? We're offended by everything.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:59 am

This. It plays on a decades old stereotype so we all know what she meant by it and if you're anti-Trump you agree with the sentiment.
At the same time, it plays on a decades old stereotype that we have an entire thread on this board refuting. It's like when I take all three kids to the grocery store and little old ladies stop me to talk to me like I'm Superman. No ma'am, this is just what parenting in the 21st century looks like. The divorced Dad is loser who only wants to be their kids' best buddy trope needs to die by fire.

At the same time, isn't this what we always refer to as outrage culture? We're offended by everything.
The response to it determines the "outrage." I am somewhat offended by it, but I wouldn't say I'm outraged. It also doesn't really change my opinion much of her. It was a dumb comment. However, what she's said/done previous to this also factors in to my opinion of her. It certainly doesn't make me lose all respect for her. It's okay to think someone said something dumb and get offended, but also not take it to the point of outrage.