Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Re: Ocasio-Cortez, I read today she was advocating for the occupation of airports, border crossings, etc. until ICE is abolished. Count me in as someone that doesn't really think she has a long career ahead of her as a politician. I certainly don't think she is the future of the party. Leftists are understandably ecstatic about her nomination, but I don't think it's the start of something big.
I hope so. Moving left by the Dems will only encourage more Trump-like figures into public office.
I don’t want any more trump figures. Move to be more moderate.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Moving left by the Dems will only encourage more Trump-like figures into public office.
The Democratic party leadership, for at least the past 25 years, has been far to the right of the majority of their membership. The 2016 election was an anomaly - almost anyone but HRC would have beat Trump.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:39 pm

She won a low turnout primary election in a deep blue district. She's relevant cause she'll be a congresswoman, and social media star, but it's not like everyone predicted the democrats were going to turn all pro-gun when Conor Lamb won.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I don't think the D establishment has any interest in making her the face of the party.
:lol: Of course they don't.
and neither do I

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Moving left by the Dems will only encourage more Trump-like figures into public office.
The Democratic party leadership, for at least the past 25 years, has been far to the right of the majority of their membership. The 2016 election was an anomaly - almost anyone but HRC would have beat Trump.
I’d argue the majority of Dems and republicans are center-left and center-right respectively, and both parties a trying to pull their members further left or further right. But that’s not how it should be done.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:43 pm

I don't think the D establishment has any interest in making her the face of the party.
:lol: Of course they don't.
and neither do I
I’d figure you would want her to be. I mean she basically holds all your views.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:45 pm

Move to be more moderate.
They were already pretty much occupying the space the R party held until the turn of the century. How much more 'moderate' do you want them to be?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:54 pm

from Monday
Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats warned of an impending, potentially devastating cyberattack on U.S. systems, saying the country’s digital infrastructure “is literally under attack” and warning that among state actors, Russia is the “worst offender.”
Today a reporter asks our president “Is Russia still targeting the US?”
The answer was no.
He's also skipped the intelligence meeting for the second day in a row. This dude is doing himself no favors.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Maybe it's the Wrong End of Intelligence.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Putin Says He Misspoke Too, Withdrawing Claim Clinton Got Millions Stolen From Russia
https://theintercept.com/2018/07/18/put ... en-russia/

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:11 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:25 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-son-c ... 15529.html

Feel like we're getting closer.
“Just a few months ago, the wiretaps of these telephone conversations were given to the FBI,” Grinda said in response to a question from Yahoo News during a talk he gave at the Hudson Institute, a conservative think tank in Washington. Asked if he was concerned about Torshin’s meetings with Donald Trump Jr. and other American political figures, Grinda replied: “Mr. Trump’s son should be concerned.”
This is the re-re-hash of the Butina story and the assumption is that Jr. was the one who met the Russian asset at the NRA rally. Feels like it's all coming together.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:35 pm

When did Morkle turn into a liberal hack? Seems like he gets his wife preggo and all of a sudden, he's over there on the left with VLB and Eddy...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:37 pm

I am really interested in how this all plays out. Feels like one of the biggest issues of our time, honestly. I consider myself very much moderate though, unless we're talking about pot, then let that stuff flow.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:42 pm

I think Morkle and MR25 were both somewhere between apolitical and lean right pre-trump.

I think that's a sign that truly independent people are being pushed away from the Trump GOP, to a place where they'd vote against Republicans for the time being.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:49 pm

When did Morkle turn into a liberal hack? Seems like he gets his wife preggo and all of a sudden, he's over there on the left with VLB and Eddy...
Between M0rkle and MR25 lurching to the left and PFIDC basically becoming a member of Antifa, this board is more liberal than ever before. Even Factorial protesting his brother's banning by not posting since that day hasn't restored balance.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:50 pm

This Republican Congress has proven incapable of fulfilling the Founders’ design that “Ambition must ... counteract ambition.” All who believe in this country’s values must vote for Democrats this fall. Policy differences don’t matter right now. History has its eyes on us.
I'm kinda surprised Freddy wasn't all over this one.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Between M0rkle and MR25 lurching to the left and PFIDC basically becoming a member of Antifa, this board is more liberal than ever before. Even Factorial protesting his brother's banning by not posting since that day hasn't restored balance.
You picked up NAN.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Even Factorial protesting his brother's banning by not posting since that day hasn't restored balance.
Brother in arms? Or actual brother?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:56 pm

You picked up NAN.
the homeless man's NP LBL has shot up the ranks of 5AF reactionaries as well

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:02 pm

I think Morkle and MR25 were both somewhere between apolitical and lean right pre-trump.

I think that's a sign that truly independent people are being pushed away from the Trump GOP, to a place where they'd vote against Republicans for the time being.
Pretty much spot on. I think this is why I'm so invested into this Russia thing. My family is pretty hardcore red, I've never really followed that path, to begin with, but I can't stomach the things that have been happening recently and be so willing to toe any line. Corruption is everywhere, but getting caught up in this is huge.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Pretty much spot on. I think this is why I'm so invested into this Russia thing. My family is pretty hardcore red, I've never really followed that path, to begin with, but I can't stomach the things that have been happening recently and be so willing to toe any line. Corruption is everywhere, but getting caught up in this is huge.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/ ... oll-728977

I saw this today, and I think your post speaks to it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:09 pm

You picked up NAN.
Yeah, the pro-police brutality contingent has been strong.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:09 pm

You picked up NAN.
I TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS CLAIM.