Politics And Current Events

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:54 am

That's quite a paragraph.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:55 am

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I honestly don’t think black people being killed by police is a major major issue. It’s an issue definitely, but you can count the number of black people killed this year on one hand. While society definitely deserves justice and people like Chauvin belong in jail for a long time, in the grand scheme of how many people die every day, I don’t feel like it’s that pressing and maybe I’m heartless for saying that.
Holy **** dude...

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:56 am

I actually kind of agree with it. It’s gonna pull moderates more toward Trump than Biden because people feel unsafe and Trump is trying to argue that he will make people safe

Which is bullshit, but people are stupid

The more rioting, looting, etc. the more Trumps odds for up imo
Yeah, what the Trump campaign is aiming for is that these things are only happening in Dem cities and if you get a Dem president, this stuff is going to happen nation wide, and with him (Trump) as president, he won't let that happen. I think he is also going to eat up that some of the Dem Gov and mayors etc are now reaching out to the national guard to come in and help restore order because there has been continued unrest.

Not saying whether that is right or wrong, but just how I see the GOP playing those commercials/that view, and quiet honestly, I agree with you that the more unrest going on, it is going to push people waivering towards Trump.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:57 am

You people throw b!tch fits when even 90lb white, Brayden and Aiden's who commit crimes get rightfully arrested with zero incident, detained for a few hours then released. Then you sit there and cry "look at all these violent rioters Trump won't do anything to stop. It's on his watch!" Total jokes.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:57 am

I'll keep beating this dead horse, but so many cops shooting so many dogs is proof that they aren't properly trained. I know dogs don't equal humans, but the fact that they're willing to not only draw but also fire their weapon at animals who are clearly posing no real threat to their lives is proof that they're either poorly trained or psychopaths. I'd hope, for most, it's the former.

Shyster posted an article a few months ago written (anonymously) by a cop where he talked about training and how a large percentage of that training is watching videos of other cops being killed. They embed an "us vs them" mentality into these guys from the start so its no wonder that, for many of them, they're first instinct in any situation is to shoot to kill. That needs changed, but it would take generations to happen. And as long as the general public is content with bleeding blue, police will only become further militarized and violent.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:57 am

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I honestly don’t think black people being killed by police is a major major issue. It’s an issue definitely, but you can count the number of black people killed this year on one hand. While society definitely deserves justice and people like Chauvin belong in jail for a long time, in the grand scheme of how many people die every day, I don’t feel like it’s that pressing and maybe I’m heartless for saying that.
FYI, police have killed 210 Black people this year, 710 total.
I would think that most people think most those are justified (someone’s life was in danger which precipitated the cop shooting the person)

When people say “remember their names”, who are they talking about? Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Jacob Blake. I honestly can’t remember the others but I’d be surprised if that list has more than 10 people from 2020
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:01 am

I would think that most people think those are justified

When people say “remember their names”, who are they talking about? Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Jacob Blake. I honestly can’t remember the others but I’d be surprised if that list has more than 10 people from 2020
"Major issue"? It's not a major issue for you, and for a lot of other people. but sure is a major issue for black people.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:06 am

"Major issue"? It's not a major issue for you, and for a lot of other people. but sure is a major issue for black people.
I get that and like I said, it’s my unpopular opinion. I probably didn’t articulate myself as best as I could’ve though

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:06 am

This is the way it is going to be for the rest of forever, I hope you guys all realize that. Doesnt matter who is sitting in the oval office. It happened with the best president ever Obama and the worst president ever Trump. Social media brah.
Depressingly. Yeah.

I have no idea how we get out of this. Obviously anecdotal but EVERYBODY feels more radical and deadset on their beliefs

Internet was supposed to help people understand each other but instead everyone wraps themselves in their own echo chamber and gets high on stories that confirm their bias

I have no idea how we get out of this without a mythological MLK type persona
We don't. It's over man. The media will twist and turn any situation where a black person dies by cop into this regardless of the facts. And I dont care what policy changes are made, exception scenarios are going to occur in which a cop kills a black guy, justified or not.
lol jesus, I agreed with you up until here

You don’t see that you’re doing exactly what you’re complaining about?

I agree, the media stirs the pot on a lot of things, but you don’t think that maybe black people feel legitimately mistreated by police and the criminal justice system?

THAT SAID, this goes a lot deeper than just cops killing black people. There are legitimate, constant issues with black people being discriminated against, mistreated by the criminal justice system and otherwise racists f*ckfaces dehumanizing them. The war on drugs disproportionally hurt the black community, tactics like stop and frisk disproportionally affected the black community.

It’s **** depressing going to websites like reddit and 4chan and seeing how nonchalantly idiots type “**** [n-word]s” and **** like that

And then you have idiots like Kyle Rittenhouse who I would guarantee said the words “I’m gonna shoot some [n-words]” before driving to Kenosha

But on the other side, as I’ve said before, this isn’t just a white people are evil thing. The black community Isn’t absolved either. We all know the murder rate statistics and then other dumb groupthink bullshit like “black people cant be racist because they don’t have power” or whatever

No one attempts to listen or understand. Everyone just surrounds themselves with people they agree with to become more hardened in their views. And I have no idea how we get out of this

Obama didn’t do much, Trump made it worse and Biden is a wet napkin. Maybe Kamala as a minority can do something but I’m not hopeful

We’re ****
I think you misunderstood my point. I'm with you an all this my man. What I mean to say is facts don't matter anymore and due process is dead. These situations will always be simplified into "cop kills black guy" and get everyone all riled up before the facts come out. Thats not going to end. We can go from 8 a year, to 4 a year, to 1 every 3 years. There can be significant police reform. This is still going to be the reaction no matter what.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:10 am

I hate that I'm dwindling my response to that post down to this, but

The due process you're talking about is more due process than the people who police are killing are getting, which I think is the main crux of the issue.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:10 am

My reaction is the same. The cops could have done better. The guy could have done better. The country shouldn't have rushed to judgment, and lit **** on fire, and turned on each other, and drove in from Chicago with guns. And pro sports shouldnt have started a who-cares-the-most contest. But thats what we do now and that's what we are always going to do. Its over.

Its a damn shame really

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:11 am

I have spent more time thinking about moving out of this country. Its not just Trump, its just that if people have looked at the last 4 years and especially the last year and thought "yes he is the right one" then he is a symptom of a problem and then making it worse. I feel like I'm watching the country light on fire all around me. Our entire democracy has been completely undermined, with full consent of our presidency and congress. I am going to be honest, if I was single, I probably would be looking to move to my other family elsewhere in the world.

I realize this is a very selfish, privileged thing to say.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:11 am

Those poor other 500 people that aren't black. No one cares about them.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:12 am

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm with you an all this my man. What I mean to say is facts don't matter anymore and due process is dead. These situations will always be simplified into "cop kills black guy" and get everyone all riled up before the facts come out. Thats not going to end. We can go from 8 a year, to 4 a year, to 1 every 3 years. There can be significant police reform. This is still going to be the reaction no matter what.
:fist:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:12 am

I hate that I'm dwindling my response to that post down to this, but

The due process you're talking about is more due process than the people who police are killing are getting, which I think is the main crux of the issue.
Maybe, maybe not. None of us were there, we only know what people with clear agendas (on both sides) are telling us.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:14 am

Those poor other 500 people that aren't black. No one cares about them.
Do you think this is a valid argument?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:15 am

I have spent more time thinking about moving out of this country. Its not just Trump, its just that if people have looked at the last 4 years and especially the last year and thought "yes he is the right one" then he is a symptom of a problem and then making it worse. I feel like I'm watching the country light on fire all around me. Our entire democracy has been completely undermined, with full consent of our presidency and congress. I am going to be honest, if I was single, I probably would be looking to move to my other family elsewhere in the world.

This started well before 2016 by the way. Its not like Trump got elected and everyone decided they could freely be an dadhole.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:20 am

BTW, the NHL is getting absolutely railed on for not cancelling their games yesterday. I guess you have to follow everyone and take the extreme measure in order to be viewed as someone that cares.

I'm just wondering if the NBA does cancel the rest of the season, if MLB, NHL, tennis, soccer, or whatever are expected to do that same.

And quite honestly, I wonder if this was "normal" times and COVID existed if this would be occurring if there were fans in the stands (the boycott, strike, or whatever you want to call it). It's a lot easier to do it right now when everyone is in the same place in a bubble.
I bet Boston wishes they cancelled

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:21 am

This started well before 2016 by the way. Its not like Trump got elected and everyone decided they could freely be an dadhole.
Actually it pretty much did. Sure there were some outspoken nincompoops before but he definitely legitimized a large group of people and they are definitely much more brazen and open about it now.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:21 am

They were attempting to get due process for his 13 year old rape victim but Blake wasn't having any of it. This is why I can't stand the idea that past criminal history (especially violent history) shouldn't matter at all.
We're just supposed to ignore that all these other run ins violent felons have with police usually results in them still walking the streets free? The fact it ended up taking until like the 14th effing arrest for something to go wrong gets completely thrown out the window and it's "racist cops shot him for being black" and that's all there is to it.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:21 am

Yeah, it hasn’t been a particularly serious thought but it’s definitely cross my mind

The US is the laughing stock of the world right now

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:22 am

We spent about a year researching becoming expatriates back in 2014. It's very difficult to do especially as a family of 3. If you can do it kudos to you. We settled on Pittsburgh instead. 6 in one hand?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:22 am

At least we can safely say that Trump will go down as one of the worst presidents ever, genuinely, and he definitely deserves it

No wall was built, he completely **** the COVID response and his term has been mired with corruption and controversy
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:22 am

My reaction is the same. The cops could have done better. The guy could have done better. The country shouldn't have rushed to judgment, and lit **** on fire, and turned on each other, and drove in from Chicago with guns. And pro sports shouldnt have started a who-cares-the-most contest. But thats what we do now and that's what we are always going to do. Its over.

Its a damn shame really
Hell, look at Minny yesterday. The dude killed himself, and immediately people started to loot, riot, etc because they immediately thought a cop shot him. The police had to release the actual video of him killing himself to prove the point. People are rushing to judgement right away (I admit, I try to wait, but sometimes that's hard to do and I rush to my own judgement). But I'm also only doing it on a message board and not smashing store windows, etc.

Personally, I don't think Blake's situation is the right one to hang your hat on for police brutality if you want to get everyone together, because I still think it's a gray area.

Situations like Flloyd, where they had him apprehended, he posed no danger what so ever, etc, that will get I think all sides on board (prior to people burning everything).

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:23 am

Actually it pretty much did. Sure there were some outspoken nincompoops before but he definitely legitimized a large group of people and they are definitely much more brazen and open about it now.

No it most certainly did not. I know its been a taboo subject but history and people's memories began before 2016.