Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:38 am

It seems as lazy as blaming video games and a lack of proper churchin’.
I didn't blame either of those things individually, nor did I say the presence (or lack) would have made a difference individually, but enjoy that strawman building.

Nothing is ever simple enough to mark out one thing as being the answer.

I also think that media coverage has no effect whatsoever on those who successfully go through with these attacks.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:40 am

IMO, sexual frustration is more of a factor.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:41 am

I didn't blame either of those things individually, nor did I say the presence (or lack) would have made a difference individually, but enjoy that strawman building.

I also think that media coverage has no effect whatsoever on those who successfully go through with these attacks.
Your post was a dead end. The eroding family structure and moral fiber isn’t actionable. You can’t blame someone for thinking it’s an attempt at a deflection for more actionable approaches that clash with your worldview.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:49 am

Your post was a dead end. The eroding family structure and moral fiber isn’t actionable. You can’t blame someone for thinking it’s an attempt at a deflection for more actionable approaches that clash with your worldview.
It's like anything in life. The things that might actually make a difference involve long-term changes and deliberative work.

Passing a "law" might make you feel better and have a tangible act you can point to and say, "Look we did something". But they are merely band-aids on a flesh wound.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 am

There isn’t a short or long term change related to your post. It was an accurate observation but a complete dead end.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:58 am

There isn’t a short or long term change related to your post. It was an accurate observation but a complete dead end.
If what you mean is our culture likely to see the wisdom and superiority of a sustainable Agrarian, Localist world any time soon rather than the materalistic, technocratic, and urban culture they prefer than yes, that is likely a "dead end" right now.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 am

I’m going to farmer’s market after I get a haircut. :)

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:50 am

Was the food allergy story mentioned earlier this week?
https://snacksafely.com/2018/02/girl-wh ... a-limited/

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 am

Was the food allergy story mentioned earlier this week?
https://snacksafely.com/2018/02/girl-wh ... a-limited/
Kind of. The peter rabbit boycot was tangential.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:13 pm

If what you mean is our culture likely to see the wisdom and superiority of a sustainable Agrarian, Localist world any time soon rather than the materalistic, technocratic, and urban culture they prefer than yes, that is likely a "dead end" right now.
Ok Wendell berry.

This is the society that’s the product of corporate capitalism. You’ll also notice this is more a product of suburban culture than the urban culture. Non conformists have a hell of a lot more trouble in the suburbs than it seems in urban and rural settings.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:21 pm

When I get prostate cancer in 15-20 years I’m going to be very thankful that the capitalist materialistic urban-centered society I belong to has developed things like robotic surgery. In certain utopias, I would otherwise be pissing down my leg and never having sex again for the rest of my life.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Primarily the one common denominator is that each one of the perpetrators came from a broken home, some with no father at all.
You're going to need to cite this, I don't think that's accurate at all. There are certainly individual cases where this is true, but I don't even think it occurs with enough frequency to even call it a pattern, never mind ascribing it as a universal attribute.

This specific sentence aside, the entire post reads as satire rather than serious commentary. 'Soulless and anti-community suburbs'.... I'm surprised a person who thinks like that can make the internet work.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 pm

What's impressive is how the Florida shooter is a white supremacist according to liberals.
A white-supremacist group had come forward claiming the guy was a member of their organization, or had at least participated in some of their events. But I believe that had been discounted as fake within 24 hours.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Also wonder why reverting to the Stone Age solves the fartherless child situation. Unless there’s an advocacy for stripping women of the various rights they’ve earned in our monstrous modern age.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:41 pm

What's impressive is how the Florida shooter is a white supremacist according to liberals.
A white-supremacist group had come forward claiming the guy was a member of their organization, or had at least participated in some of their events. But I believe that had been discounted as fake within 24 hours.
White supremacist group = liberals now, btw

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:41 pm

But they are merely band-aids on a flesh wound.
A band-aid would certainly be helpful to a flesh wound. I think you were reaching for something more like a band-aid on a shark bite. ;)

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Also wonder why reverting to the Stone Age solves the fartherless child situation. Unless there’s an advocacy for stripping women of the various rights they’ve earned in our monstrous modern age.
AR 15’s also don’t exist in this premise. But we must fight to keep them available for purchase.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:45 pm

IMO, sexual frustration is more of a factor.
This is almost certainly a factor in the FL shooting. There was a specific girl, I believe a junior, that he fancied who was creeped out by him. I believe that to be the reason he chose Valentine's Day, after succumbing to the stressor of his mother's death in November.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Fathers and/or mothers not abandoning/breaking apart their family is Stone Age?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Dunno. Direct this query to PBP.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:49 pm

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:00 pm

From a profiling standpoint, serial killers and mass shooters (in the US) tend to be white males.

Correlation, not causation, of course. ;)

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:45 pm

@RepAdamSchiff
To those who have been wondering how “collusion” might be charged, the Special Counsel has now given us a good indication:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:12 pm

@RepAdamSchiff
To those who have been wondering how “collusion” might be charged, the Special Counsel has now given us a good indication:

But that only deals with the 13 Russian nationals... Rosenstein literally said no American or campaign person knowingly knew about these people’s intentions.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Russian Influence Campaign: What’s in the Latest Mueller Indictment
https://www.lawfareblog.com/russian-inf ... indictment