Politics And Current Events

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 am

The Trump administration has decided that Vietnamese migrants who arrived before the establishment of diplomatic ties between the U.S. and Vietnam are subject to standard immigration law—meaning they are all eligible for deportation. https://t.co/njUnvAjm8x
All brown people must go!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:34 am

:lol: The mental gymnastics there... wow.
I swear somewhere it was reported that the deal is better in many ways for Canada and Mexico than NAFTA was. But trump has his name on this so.....MAGA
Everything I've read just says it's NAFTA with an edit here or there. Most people say it's a good deal, mostly because it's pretty much exactly like NAFTA, just with Trump's name on it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:40 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/get-ready ... connection

I think "Essential Consultants" is going to find it's way back into the news with this stuff.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:45 am

Looks like it was the Trump Administration that turned out to be the “target rich environment”

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:48 am

Looks like it was the Trump Administration that turned out to be the “target rich environment”
Giant signs placed across the globe "US PRESIDENCY OPEN FOR BRIBES".

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:48 am

Also, it doesn’t look like the wacky qanon will get their pedo bombshell today either.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:57 am

Russia totally denies it :lol:
'Hi-tech robot' at Russia forum turns out to be man in suit
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ssion=true

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:59 am

I often stated, “One way or the other, Mexico is going to pay for the Wall.” This has never changed. Our new deal with Mexico (and Canada), the USMCA, is so much better than the old, very costly & anti-USA NAFTA deal, that just by the money we save, MEXICO IS PAYING FOR THE WALL!
oh boy
lol, this isn't good enough. He proclaimed he'd send Mexico the bill and they'd pay it. They debated it for months when the Mexican president was like "lmao, right."

People can't just accept his line of thinking right?

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:01 am

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 am

I often stated, “One way or the other, Mexico is going to pay for the Wall.” This has never changed. Our new deal with Mexico (and Canada), the USMCA, is so much better than the old, very costly & anti-USA NAFTA deal, that just by the money we save, MEXICO IS PAYING FOR THE WALL!
oh boy
lol, this isn't good enough. He proclaimed he'd send Mexico the bill and they'd pay it. They debated it for months when the Mexican president was like "lmao, right."

People can't just accept his line of thinking right?
@Nittany Ned

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:08 am

Can the board lawyers weigh in on this claim? Does Cohen being a lawyer have any impact on Trump's liability?

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:21 am

wasn't there audio of Trump telling Cohen to take care of it with cash?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:40 am

wasn't there audio of Trump telling Cohen to take care of it with cash?
AFAIK for the playboy story:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/24/politics ... index.html

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:56 am

Grunty just needs Trump to say that he didn't know it was illegal.
As if on cue...
I never directed Michael Cohen to break the law. He was a lawyer and he is supposed to know the law. It is called “advice of counsel,” and a lawyer has great liability if a mistake is made. That is why they get paid. Despite that many campaign finance lawyers have strongly..........stated that I did nothing wrong with respect to campaign finance laws, if they even apply, because this was not campaign finance. Cohen was guilty on many charges unrelated to me, but he plead to two campaign charges which were not criminal and of which he probably was not.......guilty even on a civil basis. Those charges were just agreed to by him in order to embarrass the president and get a much reduced prison sentence, which he did-including the fact that his family was temporarily let off the hook. As a lawyer, Michael has great liability to me!

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:01 am

nobody must watch the same Fox news programs as Trump.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:01 am

The Trump administration has decided that Vietnamese migrants who arrived before the establishment of diplomatic ties between the U.S. and Vietnam are subject to standard immigration law—meaning they are all eligible for deportation. https://t.co/njUnvAjm8x
If they pursue this, 1) I don't think it will stand up to a court challenge (it has a very ex post facto feel too it, but I haven't read any opinions specific to this policy yet so I can't say with any certainty); and 2) it would be further evidence of the bigoted approach to immigration Cheeto favors - these people have been in this country for three or four decades at this point, many of them upstanding members of their communities, and large numbers of them now naturalized citizens.

This is an abhorrent policy proposal.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:09 am

Grunty just needs Trump to say that he didn't know it was illegal.
As if on cue...
I never directed Michael Cohen to break the law. He was a lawyer and he is supposed to know the law. It is called “advice of counsel,” and a lawyer has great liability if a mistake is made. That is why they get paid. Despite that many campaign finance lawyers have strongly..........stated that I did nothing wrong with respect to campaign finance laws, if they even apply, because this was not campaign finance. Cohen was guilty on many charges unrelated to me, but he plead to two campaign charges which were not criminal and of which he probably was not.......guilty even on a civil basis. Those charges were just agreed to by him in order to embarrass the president and get a much reduced prison sentence, which he did-including the fact that his family was temporarily let off the hook. As a lawyer, Michael has great liability to me!
It doesn’t matter what he says now. The only thing that matters is if they have proof he knew it was illegal when he directed Cohen to do it, or Cohen told him it was illegal and he directed anyway.

That is something we don’t know.

I’m still amazed at the dumbassery you guys stoop to, at times, trying to say or imply I’m a trump supporter that believes anything he says.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:12 am

nobody must watch the same Fox news programs as Trump.
The only news I watch is smerconish and cuomo.

Basically only right wing nut jobs and liberals watch Fox News.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:12 am

It doesn’t matter what he says now. The only thing that matters is if they have proof he knew it was illegal when he directed Cohen to do it, or Cohen told him it was illegal and he directed anyway.

I’m still amazed at the dumbassery you guys stoop to, at times, trying to say or imply I’m a trump supporter that believes anything he says.
How the hell can you prove that Trump "knew it was illegal".

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:12 am

This would apply to such migrants who are either undocumented or have committed crimes, and this interpretation would not apply to those who have become American citizens.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:15 am

How the hell can you prove that Trump "knew it was illegal".
Cohen’s recordings, emails, texts, etc.

Otherwise it is just one liars word over the other.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:17 am

That was less about the grunty connection as it was the president predictably blaming Cohen for everything.

Cohen previously stated he would take a bullet for Mr Trump.... and yet at the same time Cohen was surreptitiously making audio recordings of his private conversations with him as they discussed, what Cohen admitted to under oath, something he knew to be an illegal transaction. It would be very surprising if that was the only such recording.

The media keeps harping the campaign finance angle, but Cohen also pleaded guilty to three or four other felonies (bank fraud, etc.) that would not require Trump's knowledge of criminality to create exposure. (e.g If you sign and submit an illegal tax return, you're on the hook.) Those crimes potentially expose the Trump Organization and its officers (nearly all of whom are called Trump) to risk.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:18 am

If they pursue this, 1) I don't think it will stand up to a court challenge (it has a very ex post facto feel too it, but I haven't read any opinions specific to this policy yet so I can't say with any certainty); and 2) it would be further evidence of the bigoted approach to immigration Cheeto favors - these people have been in this country for three or four decades at this point, many of them upstanding members of their communities, and large numbers of them now naturalized citizens.

This is an abhorrent policy proposal.

From freakin Vox of all places.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2018/1 ... ssion=true
That puts two different categories of people at risk: noncitizens who lost their legal status (including green cards) because they were convicted of sufficiently serious crimes, and unauthorized immigrants who had been here since 1995 but had never gotten permanent legal status or citizenship.

It does not affect people who currently have legal status in the US, unless they lose it. It does not affect naturalized citizens at all.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:19 am

Cohen was the finance chair of the RNC too iirc.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:24 am

The media keeps harping the campaign finance angle, but Cohen also pleaded guilty to three or four other felonies (bank fraud, etc.) that would not require Trump's knowledge of criminality to create exposure. (e.g If you sign and submit an illegal tax return, you're on the hook.) Those crimes potentially expose the Trump Organization and its officers (nearly all of whom are called Trump) to risk.
I think those involve Cohen's taxi medallion stuff.