Politics And Current Events

Ted

Postby Ted » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Like 2% of Americans are even on Twitter.
Actually, *ahem* it's more like 1-in-5.

But the biggest social media outlet that was exploited in the Russia campaign was Facebook, where around 70% of Americans have accounts.
I’m still waiting for the flood of Trump voters, specifically to announce they were intending to vote for Hillary until duped by Facebook ads.
I've read this post 5 times now trying to make sense of it... it's not coming to me. I must be a dupe.
Remove “specifically”. Apologies for not fully cleaning it up. I was originally going to say “..., specifically in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin to announce...”

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:55 pm

"Yes, only one party questions the legitimacy of the sitting president. "

- person in a coma between 2009 and 2017
I didn’t know the RNC slogans and official position was Obama wasn’t a citizen.
"Yes, only one party questions the legitimacy of the sitting president. "

- person in a coma between 2009 and 2017
take the L on that one nobody. You can admit that Sarah Abrams and those who still repeat her belief that she lost an illegitimate election are smoking crack and also understand that the Head of the Republican party, the man sitting in the Oval Office, basically got his second political life by continuously moaning that Obama was a Kenyan Muslim.

I often wonder if Obama hadn't berated him so badly at the Correspondence dinner if we'd have a Trump presidency at all.
Fine I’ll rephrase it. Only one party consistently bemoans election results and refuses to accept them. 2018, 2016, 2000,

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Define "refuses to accept them"...

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:56 pm

“Refuses to accept”?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Fine I’ll rephrase it. Only one party consistently bemoans election results and refuses to accept them. 2018, 2016, 2000,
Yes, only one party bemoans election results and refuses to accept them

- no one.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:57 pm

How dare he wear a tan suit.

Moves back in to #1 biggest scandal after the 100k children he jailed accidentally got reported for 2 hours.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:58 pm

I would think calling the person elected or the election results illegitimate constantly would apply to refusing to accept the results.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Oh well if the good people over at vox.com believe were on the edge of facism that changes everything!
That is a direct quote from an editor at the national review. The article is a discussion with Rich Lowery.

Good talk.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:59 pm

How Bernie Bros and Trumpistas See Their Guys Is Really Weird to the Rest of Us
https://reason.com/2019/11/21/how-berni ... est-of-us/

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:59 pm

I would think calling the person elected or the election results illegitimate constantly would apply to refusing to accept the results.
Everything you are saying applies to the GOP under Obama. I don't understand how this is escaping you.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:00 pm

How Bernie Bros and Trumpistas See Their Guys Is Really Weird to the Rest of Us
https://reason.com/2019/11/21/how-berni ... est-of-us/
This is very true.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Everything you are saying applies to the GOP under Obama. I don't understand how this is escaping you.
So there were mass protests for weeks, months and the years following the elections of Obama by tens or hundreds of thousands of people that were angry about the results?

Also, both siding it isn’t allowed in this thread.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:02 pm

Trump has constantly called into question the results of the 2016 election. Remember the millions of votes that went to Hillary and how he actually won the popular vote? And that was in an election that he actually won.

No one here or any real person believes that the election results are illegitimate, let alone says so constantly. The results are what they are. Now, did Russia help Trump? Sure! Of course. If you say no, you're just a moron. Did it win him the election? Debatable. But at the end of the day, the results are what they are.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Protest =/= refuse to accept

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Oh well if the good people over at vox.com believe were on the edge of facism that changes everything!
That is a direct quote from an editor at the national review. The article is a discussion with Rich Lowery.

Good talk.

That still means jack ****.

You might find 1 in 100,000 people that actually even give that a seconds worth of thought if you ask anyone besides journos and twitter.

Same with the impeachment. I can't think of single instance I've heard someone in real life even mention anything about Trump outside of this thread and social media.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:05 pm

One of our engineers just sent an e-mail to the whole company about Trump coming to Hershey and how to get free tickets... fun times.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:06 pm

I kind of don't want to get into a profound discussion of Trump, but IMO his first presidential term so far has been extremely efficient.

People who voted for him to get conservative judge(s) on the Supreme Court - delivered.
People who voted for him to cut taxes - delivered
People who voted for him to increase deregulation - delivered
People who voted for him to increase US protectionism - delivered
People who voted for him to increase US isolationism - delivered

All while the by far No. 1 determinant of re-election in all major statistical models covering all possible periods - stock market performance - massively increased.

IMO if a "standard Republican" President was able to deliver all of the above, he/she would be very popular and the re-election chances would be in high 70's-80s....
I would say yes-and-no on his efficiency. While he did accomplish the tax cuts and has made some great judicial nominations (FedSoc represent!), he failed to deliver on the border wall and hasn't moved the needle much on immigration, largely due to his executive orders being enjoined by the courts. Still, as I've long maintained, the policies of the Trump administration are—for the most part—fairly standard Republican policy positions. IMO, the majority of the opposition to Trump is personal hatred of Trump himself.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:06 pm

Good talk.

You might find 1 in 100,000 people that actually even give that a seconds worth of thought if you ask anyone besides journos and twitter.

Same with the impeachment. I can't think of single instance I've heard someone in real life even mention anything about Trump outside of this thread and social media.
What means jack ****, I have no idea what you're saying.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:10 pm

I would say yes-and-no on his efficiency. While he did accomplish the tax cuts and has made some great judicial nominations (FedSoc represent!), he failed to deliver on the border wall and hasn't moved the needle much on immigration, largely due to his executive orders being enjoined by the courts. Still, as I've long maintained, the policies of the Trump administration are—for the most part—fairly standard Republican policy positions. IMO, the majority of the opposition to Trump is personal hatred of Trump himself.
Combine this with him trying to stuff his (and his family's) pockets with money while consistently trying to point out how corrupt the system is, I'd say it's pretty spot on.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:10 pm

That it doesn't matter if its quotes from Rich Lowry or the neckbeards over at Vox. It doesnt make being on the edge of facism any more true.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Good talk.

You’ve never heard someone talk about trump? That strains credulity.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:12 pm

Good talk.

You’ve never heard someone talk about trump? That strains credulity.
I don't understand what that has to do with the excerpt that he commented on.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:19 pm

How dare he wear a tan suit.

Moves back in to #1 biggest scandal after the 100k children he jailed accidentally got reported for 2 hours.
I would have loved to see that article. Because up until now all the stats I've heard was basically that Trump did in three months what Obama did in over a year, and that families weren't separated.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:19 pm

That it doesn't matter if its quotes from Rich Lowry or the neckbeards over at Vox. It doesnt make being on the edge of facism any more true.
I think though that the sentiment being expressed here encapsulates the impeachment drama. When the justification boils down for the acceptance of the breakdown in the separation of powers to keeping the opposition party down, then you're leaning in to fascism. At least that's how I see it, I haven't seen anyone bring up fascism regarding it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:20 pm