Politics And Current Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:09 am

It takes longer than 6 weeks to learn to code.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:09 am

Do a lot of those tech job layoffs come with severences that prohibit unemployment, or filing of unemployment until a later date?
I haven't been laid off yet (thankfully), but talking with those at our company who have they are getting two weeks per year worked at our company of severance pay, getting paid out the bonus they would have been eligible for in March had they still been employed, and also a pro-rated bonus for next year.

Not sure how that works with trying to collect unemployment.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:10 am

Nah anyone can do it man haha. It's all soooooo easy and quick.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:10 am

Do a lot of those tech job layoffs come with severences that prohibit unemployment, or filing of unemployment until a later date?
You would file the claim when you lose your job. You may not be eligible for the benefit payments until the severance ends. But you would be stupid to wait until you are eligible to file the claim, it's not like you just start collecting checks after you get laid off. You have to get your claim approved and whatever other filing requirements to start receiving payments.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:17 am

Right, there's a waiting week or whatever even if you don't have a severance. I just didn't know if the number included those ineligible for benefits, or claims denied by the employer.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:28 am

There’s probably a decent lag between when the announced layoffs occur and the impact to the ui claims.

So the unemployment rate is definitely higher than the reported number, but as Dodint seems to be on about, it’s always higher than the reported number.

The jobs number that was released showed the increase in payrolls, which is a volume number, not a percentage, and it showed a big increase, and the story within the link described the high number of job openings, thus representing fluidity in the labor market.

But yeah, all in all, the layoffs taking place are not representative of the labor market as whole, they may be an indicator of something down the line, but we aren’t there yet.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:29 am

TL;DR Thanks, Joe.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:31 am

Employers added a stunning 517,000 jobs in January, indicating the job market remains red-hot despite rising layoffs in the technology industry and the Federal Reserve's concerted push to slow economic growth.

The figure, released on Friday by the Department of Labor, far outpaced economists' expectations of about 185,000 jobs to be added in January.

The nation's unemployment rate ticked down to 3.4%, its lowest level since 1969.

"The robust 517,000 gain in non-farm payrolls in January means that, despite most leading indicators of recession flashing red, the economy is clearly not as close to recession as we had suspected," Andrew Hunter, senior U.S. economist with Capital Economics, said in a report.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:32 am

**** Navy lol

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:34 am

So the unemployment rate is definitely higher than the reported number, but as Dodint seems to be on about, it’s always higher than the reported number.
I don't have an agenda here. I was just curious if it was possible we were seeing a lower rate because of uncounted people that fell off the rolls from two years ago. It's been below the pre-covid rate for a while, according to that graph.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:35 am

It takes very little time to grab any of the help wanted signs in town. Tech folks that have been laid off in the last 6-8 weeks trying to find a new place is a real problem, but the idea that Unemployment is artificially low because people who are "actively" trying to find a job for 26, 52, 104 whatever weeks are falling off the roles seems comical when there's been a plethora of openings between 2021 and two months ago.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:43 am

It takes very little time to grab any of the help wanted signs in town. Tech folks that have been laid off in the last 6-8 weeks trying to find a new place is a real problem, but the idea that Unemployment is artificially low because people who are "actively" trying to find a job for 26, 52, 104 whatever weeks are falling off the roles seems comical when there's been a plethora of openings between 2021 and two months ago.
Well, **** me for trying to understand the mechanism I guess. :lol:

I watched a documentary back in the early 2010s. It followed four mid to high-level management types in New York City that got laid off after the 2008 housing crisis took hold. One thing that really stuck with me was that the one guy refused to take something lower than the job he was cut loose from and it took like two years of him actively seeking employment for him to be not counted in the unemployment numbers. I thought it was interesting that the government just simply didn't bother counting him anymore, seems lazy and unaccountable.

But, as you're alluding to, the folks featured in that documentary probably don't makeup enough of the population to change the numbers. It's the same class of worker that was just let go from FedEx this week, will they all find jobs? If I recall the documentary the others ended up taking lesser positions, I believe at least one of them ended up in the service industry.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:53 am

Well, **** me for trying to understand the mechanism I guess. :lol:

I watched a documentary back in the early 2010s. It followed four mid to high-level management types in New York City that got laid off after the 2008 housing crisis took hold. One thing that really stuck with me was that the one guy refused to take something lower than the job he was cut loose from and it took like two years of him actively seeking employment for him to be not counted in the unemployment numbers. I thought it was interesting that the government just simply didn't bother counting him anymore, seems lazy and unaccountable.

But, as you're alluding to, the folks featured in that documentary probably don't makeup enough of the population to change the numbers. It's the same class of worker that was just let go from FedEx this week, will they all find jobs? If I recall the documentary the others ended up taking lesser positions, I believe at least one of them ended up in the service industry.
8-)
You understand the mechanism just fine, but I figure if (royal) you can sit out of the job market for two years because you don't want to accept a lower position, maybe you were inflated to that high a position to begin with...and you've got so much freaking money saved that you can be that picky. While that's technically still unemployment, crying about the lack of quarter million $ salaried positions isn't exactly what we think of when looking at unemployment numbers. :mrgreen:

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:55 am

;)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:58 am

depends on what we’re talking about. People can learn how to “code” pretty quickly but learning software engineering techniques takes much more time (and honestly a certain level of intelligence; it can get literally abstract very quickly)

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:58 am

One thing that really stuck with me was that the one guy refused to take something lower than the job he was cut loose from and it took like two years of him actively seeking employment for him to be not counted in the unemployment numbers. I thought it was interesting that the government just simply didn't bother counting him anymore, seems lazy and unaccountable.
They have to account for people that are legitimately quitting and not actively seeking employment. It's not lazy, but it is a very simple way to account for people who just right out quit the work force. It would be hard to figure in those that are actively seeking employment. It's not like every job application goes through the government's office.

Although the number of people quitting outright is pretty low, you have to assume the number of people trying to find a job and are unsuccessful for 2 years is also quite low. So they most likely cancel each other out.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:56 am

honestly don’t care about the story itself, only sharing it so I can make this joke

Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:58 am

Jew-ish

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:00 pm

That "L" is making me irrationally upset

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:06 pm

That "L" is making me irrationally upset
I didn’t realize it until after I posted it

Usually yarn is so good too

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:24 pm

China has plenty of spy satellites. They wouldn't need to use a balloon for surveillance.
A satellite is a known commodity. It will be overhead at x hour (or xx hours) every day, repeatably (which means activities on the ground can be scheduled to accommodate for that......... go go Google Maps and select 'satellite view' and scroll over to Area 51; place looks almost deserted). Their orbital paths are known, and if they ever deviate, it is 1) not exactly the work of a moment to accomplish, and 2) easily trackable. Plus balloons have a certain degree of quasi-loiter capability by changing their altitude within the air column.

Balloons are harder to detect and monitor, and have a more (if still limited) ability to maneuver. I think I read this balloon was discovered when it was (I'm guessing inadvertently) picked up visually by a ground observer when it was 'backlit' by the moon.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:25 pm

Doubtless, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(8) embodies salutary policy goals meant to protect vulnerable people in our society. Weighing those policy goals’ merits through the sort of means-end scrutiny our prior precedent indulged, we previously concluded that the societal benefits of § 922(g)(8) outweighed its burden on Rahimi’s Second Amendment rights. But Bruen forecloses any such analysis in favor of a historical analogical inquiry into the scope of the allowable burden on the Second Amendment right.
What is the basis for the 'historical analogical inquiry' in Bruen?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:31 pm

re Unemployment

I have absolutely no idea how they track whether someone is or is not actively seeking employment. If your unemployment outlasts your UI benefit, there's zero amount of visibility into your status, except maybe no withholdings coming in attached to your SSN. But even at that, how do they know to classify someone as 'unemployed' vs 'not in the job market' (or whatever the phrase is)? It seems pretty hooey once a given person is out of work for more than a few months.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:36 pm

Of note, the balloon is approx 80-120k feet in the air lololol

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:43 pm

*googles* How far up can a gun shoot?

Hmph...I say try it...those bullets gotta come down somewhere...