Politics And Current Events

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:18 pm

For real.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:21 pm

For real.
I don't think you are serious, because there is no way you actually think being in high school biology is the kind of education we are discussing in regards to firearm policy, 2A constitutional rights and law, and wider cultural and sociological questions.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Would being in a car crash make on an expert on vehicular law or policy?
Would being in an airline disaster make one an expert on aviation law or policy?
Would being the victim of a burglary make one an expert in home security?
Etc.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:28 pm

Would being in an airline disaster make one an expert on aviation law or policy?
Etc.
I’d like to hear more about your contention that being uniformed (or whatever the appropriate word would be) about guns casts a negative suspicion on knowledge of other subjects. I’m fairly certain that I’ve never seen that line of thinking before.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:37 pm

I’d like to hear more about your contention that being uniformed (or whatever the appropriate word would be) about guns casts a negative suspicion on knowledge of other subjects. I’m fairly certain that I’ve never seen that line of thinking before.
If someone is willing to bloviate about Subject A when they clearly lack knowledge of the subject, then that would clearly show that the person in question does not see their own personal ignorance as any bar to speak on the subject. Of course, it doesn't prove that—when it comes to another subject—that the person doesn't know what they're talking about. It is possible that they are clueless about Subject A but quite knowledgeable about Subject B. But it would render their other opinions more suspect.

This shouldn't be a hard concept. Let's say you hear someone assert something profoundly ignorant, such as argue that the Earth is flat and is covered by a dome. You're telling me you are not going to be more suspect of that person's statements if they go off on some other topic?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Etc.

I mean we had a guy arguing against making these weapons Title II (these are registered) because they are unregistered and he wants them registered. That shows ignorance, because if you want to at least argue a point learn something about it.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
“Russians had no compromising information on Donald Trump” @FoxNews Of course not, because there is none, and never was. This whole Witch Hunt is an illegal disgrace...and Obama did nothing about Russia!

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:58 pm

The Democrat memo response on government surveillance abuses is a total political and legal BUST. Just confirms all of the terrible things that were done. SO ILLEGAL!

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Since when did guns rights become a cause of the stuffed shirt demo?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 pm

To Shyster's point here is an example of idiocy on the gun issue makes me question credibility on other issues.

https://twitter.com/Bmac0507/status/967545446913654784

Intentional incuriousness.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:46 pm

To be clear, the point isn't to confer all-stomping authority to the survivor kids. It's to call BS on the notion that their voices have no place in this discussion.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:27 pm

To be clear, the point isn't to confer all-stomping authority to the survivor kids. It's to call BS on the notion that their voices have no place in this discussion.

Then I'd suggest they stop propping up people like this Hogg kid and that angry bald chick. Because it is not going to accomplish what they think it will. If I was in any position of power I would go talk to parents and those sitting in the hospital and not take those other kids serious for one second. There was another one Ellen had on her show too, I think it was the one that called Rubio a murderer. As always, the left puts the absolute worst people they can find at the forefront to spread their message. It will backfire.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 pm

:roll:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 pm

"Kids can have a message, as long as I agree with it."

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Etc.
Ok there...we’ve kind of danced around this since it’s not very polite and a little in bad taste, but the side that you are arguing against is entrenched is things like compassion, children, love, emotion, hopes and dreams for people who aren’t them.

I only know things about you that you post here, but based on that and that alone, you are more unqualified to argue these points than you could possibly imagine. You seem to struggle with things like empathy and interpersonal relationships. These are the types of things that send people into a tizzy when children are murdered. I can only imagine the eye roll you’re doing right now but this is the truth. Emotion is part of the lives of your typical functional, non-spectrum adult. I understand why a person devoid of these things might be confused why they’re being challenged about their thoughts on human life.

Again - we may only get a sliver of the Shyster experience. But the guy we know doesn’t know s*** about what he’s arguing against. I expect this post to go over like a lead balloon, but if Columbia ain’t gonna cover this elephant in the room, I’ll carry that torch.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:08 pm

Okay then. See how it works out for you. Keep having these activist morons calling everyone murderers (except the person who committed the crime. Anybody remember that guy??) and have them bullying people to kowtow to their demands. I'm reaching here, but that strikes me as the kind of behavior that might cost a presidential election :pop: But what do I know

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:21 pm

(except the person who committed the crime. Anybody remember that guy??)
I’m not allowed to. Remember, we can’t give him any fame or notoriety.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:28 pm

"Don't listen to the kids, because they lack life experience," when they clearly outstrip pretty much everyone in this discussion here in the specific type of experience that we're talking about is an interesting take.
The discussion is about whether people should be allowed to own firearms. They experienced a horror, no doubt. God bless them for what they'll have to endure for the rest of their lives because of it. But that doesn't mean we should be following their lead on whether or not people guilty of absolutely nothing should be allowed to own something.

If the discussion was, "what is it like to experience a mass shooting, and how does it affect a person", then by all means their experience outstrips anyone in this thread (let's hope). Translating that experience into policy, however... how does that follow, exactly?
This is not an all or none proposition. They can be part of the discussion.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:29 pm

THE discussion is actually how to not have so many kids murdered at school. Anyone have any ideas, btw?

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:35 pm

Douché. Good point.

Who's next in line. The authorities? Nah they're off the hook too. Liberals love them now.

Shoot criminals, you're a monster. Stand outside and scratch your ass while 17 kids die ..."cmon who can blame em?!"

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/967556010700361728
The Hill‏Verified account
@thehill
Florida survivor defends officer who did not enter shooting scene: Who wants to go down the barrel of an AR-15?

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:38 pm

What shmenguin hit on is an important point, I think. It’s idiocy to think that this discussion and issue is all about the intricacies of guns. There is a much more general issue here that is at play: what role should guns play in our society? You don’t have to know what the technical definition of a semi-automatic is, or what a bump stock is, or how many rounds you can fire with a pump action rifle to be able to form a knowledgeable thought about what role guns play in our society.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:39 pm

Okay then. See how it works out for you. Keep having these activist morons calling everyone murderers (except the person who committed the crime. Anybody remember that guy??) and have them bullying people to kowtow to their demands. I'm reaching here, but that strikes me as the kind of behavior that might cost a presidential election :pop: But what do I know

Have you officially boycotted Enterprise Rent-A-Car yet?

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:40 pm

You seem to have a very narrow scope of information if this is all you can glean from the last week.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:42 pm

Douché. Good point.

Who's next in line. The authorities? Nah they're off the hook too. Liberals love them now.

Shoot criminals, you're a monster. Stand outside and scratch your ass while 17 kids die ..."cmon who can blame em?!"

@thehill
Florida survivor defends officer who did not enter shooting scene: Who wants to go down the barrel of an AR-15?
If you see one person eating dirt, do you think that every person in the world loves to eat dirt? Is this seriously how you view the world?

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:49 pm

Douché. Good point.

@thehill
If you see one person eating dirt, do you think that every person in the world loves to eat dirt? Is this seriously how you view the world?

I'm just going by what the new Supreme Leader says. He's the authority on everything else, I have to start taking him seriously. I just would think he'd be pretty upset that the proper authorities on scene stood by and let his friends die, but he's got bigger things to worry about I guess. Like airlines giving 10% discounts.