willeyeam

Politics And Current Events

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:20 pm

They want to watch ulf fill that cup.
I don't get it

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:54 pm

Is there a difference between a civil and criminal restraining order?
I think they are being called "civil" here because they do not require a criminal conviction for issuance.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:18 am

well, shysdaddy, i'm guessing this made your day
but as the father of a daughter and uncle of a young woman who escaped an abusive relationship with a gun fanatic i think i can speak for my sister and brother-in-law and say we all think this sucks

I didn't know the case was out there, and I would certainly have higher priorities for pro-gun litigation. I would be much happier to see a court strike down some of the new regulations from the ATF. But I do think the decision is correct, so yay, I guess.

There's an interesting circularity here, because the Fifth Circuit arguably kicked off the modern round of 2A litigation that led to the three major SCOTUS decisions in Heller, McDonald, and Bruen. In 2001 in United States v. Emerson, the Fifth Circuit was actually the first Court of Appeals to hold that the 2A represented an individual as opposed to collective right. That started what would become a circuit split, and that circuit split resulted in the SCOTUS accepting the Heller case. And Emerson actually involved 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(8) and upheld the statute as constitutional. Today's decision overruled Emerson on the basis that Bruen now forecloses the sort of analysis that Emerson employed to uphold the statute—namely, a means-ends analysis. As explained by the decision:
Doubtless, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(8) embodies salutary policy goals meant to protect vulnerable people in our society. Weighing those policy goals’ merits through the sort of means-end scrutiny our prior precedent indulged, we previously concluded that the societal benefits of § 922(g)(8) outweighed its burden on Rahimi’s Second Amendment rights. But Bruen forecloses any such analysis in favor of a historical analogical inquiry into the scope of the allowable burden on the Second Amendment right.

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:20 am

Yuri? Where’s Kane?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:45 am

They want to watch ulf fill that cup.
I don't get it
Oh...sorry. That was skullman, not you. Whoops. :lol:

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:49 am

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/03/politics ... index.html

Seems **** may be hitting the fan even more so in the next 6 months over in Ukraine.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:51 am

Ya know... if Ukraine would just surrender, the war would be over.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:53 am

Allegedly, 200K Russians have died already in this war.
Last edited by faftorial on Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:53 am

Yeah, I'm really uneasy/nervous about the next few months. It's going to be a brutal war of attrition with a lot more dead civilians.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:32 am

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:40 am

Thanks Joe.

That's how this works, right?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:41 am

Thanks Joe.

That's how this works, right?
either that or “nice”

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:42 am

There have been some massive layoffs recently that likely aren't captured in that number just yet. I expect it to go up in February. And yes, Joe will be blamed.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:46 am

How do they calculate that number, honestly? There were like 50k plus layoffs in tech sector the last few weeks.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:48 am

Clearly Joe is cooking the books.

Even though a robust jobs report is actually a bad thing because it means that the FED will keep pushing the recession button.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:49 am

I'm sure they'll revise those up next month, and February will go up as well.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:50 am

How do they calculate that number, honestly? There were like 50k plus layoffs in tech sector the last few weeks.
I think they also stop counting job seekers after like 104 weeks or something, so there could be a number of folks that quit work during COVID and then never went back. At this point they wouldn't be included in the numbers.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:51 am

I think they also stop counting job seekers after like 104 weeks or something, so there could be a number of folks that quit work during COVID and then never went back. At this point they wouldn't be included in the numbers.
You need to be actively seeking work to be considered unemployed. Same with collecting unemployment benfits.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:53 am

You need to be actively seeking work to be considered unemployed. Same with collecting unemployment benfits.
So everyone's on government assistance then? Sounds like a fine angle to me.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:57 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/01/busi ... yoffs.html

Its because the layoffs are targeting white collar jobs at high profile companies.

Whatever fallout from the pandemic tech bubble bursting has yet to manifest for the wider economy. All the CMU kids of course want to go work at google and twitter after college so they can play ping pong or whatever. But it's not like those laid off from those companies can't find a lucrative software job at Kraft or a paper company.

The interest rates are punishing the companies with fragile margins living off of VC money. Companies that do stuff with sound fundamentals don't crater when interest rates rise with the debt burdens.

Others, like Amazon and Fedex have to readjust to an economy where people aren't requiring delivery for all of their consumer products.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:58 am

Right, but there is a point when active job seekers are no longer counted. It's long, like two years. People not looking for work fall off in four weeks.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:00 am

I somewhat disagree... companies don't pay employees with cash. They borrow to pay employees. When rates go up that borrowed money expense doesn't go as far.

Meta lays off 10k people, and then announces a $40b stock buyback. Don't they have only slightly more than that in cash on their balance sheet?

I also don't think that everyone will be able to easily recover. I have friends looking for tech jobs who job hop often, and haven't gotten as much as an interview.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:05 am

I somewhat disagree... companies don't pay employees with cash. They borrow to pay employees. When rates go up that borrowed money expense doesn't go as far.

Meta lays off 10k people, and then announces a $40b stock buyback. Don't they have only slightly more than that in cash on their balance sheet?

I also don't think that everyone will be able to easily recover. I have friends looking for tech jobs who job hop often, and haven't gotten as much as an interview.
They have lines of credit to manage liquidity, but that's not the same as long term debt.
Other indicators that employers are shedding workers, such as initial claims for unemployment insurance, have also remained very low by historical standards. Those leaving tech jobs, especially with software development and engineering skills, may have found new opportunities so quickly that they didn’t file for unemployment benefits.
And yeah, changing jobs isn't always seamless, and there are simply logistical hurdles to the process that can take months. But its not an issue with openings.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:06 am

Do a lot of those tech job layoffs come with severences that prohibit unemployment, or filing of unemployment until a later date?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:08 am

Right, but there is a point when active job seekers are no longer counted. It's long, like two years. People not looking for work fall off in four weeks.
Right, but if you honestly have been looking for work for 6 months and didn't find anything, that's a you problem not the economy. The last 6 weeks is a different story.