Politics And Current Events

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:21 am

Mueller doesn’t leak, this is team trump fakenews.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 am

Saudi Arabia Delivers $100 Million Pledged to U.S. as Pompeo Lands in Riyadh
That money landed in American accounts on Tuesday, the same day that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo landed in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, for discussions with the kingdom’s leaders about the fate of a missing Saudi dissident.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/worl ... syria.html

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:59 am

Can anyone explain what the big deal is with this Khashoggi guy is? Obviously if what is said about how he was murdered is true it is awful but I never heard of the guy before. Anything I find on him said he's a Saudi Arabian journalist. Doesn't appear he was an American.
I doubt anyone outside of Saudi Arabia had heard of him before. As far as I can tell, he was a prominent journalist in Saudi Arabia, seems like he got out of there when this MBS dude started consolidating power, was critical of said power consolidation. And has been murdered by said power consolidator.

There are a lot of people with egg on their face here, not just Trump and Jared, but titans of entertainment and industry. It just seems like Trump has shown a complete inability to do the job, it isn't Thomas Freidman, Jeff Bezos, or Oprah's job to hold other countries accountable for human rights abuses. I know the populist right sentiment to that is, it's not our job, but ok, that response is N/A as at the same time this dude is running hits on vocal critics of the regime, the US is partnering with MBS to guide the power structure in the Middle East to our liking. (ie, Saudi Arabia and Israel on one side, the Iranians on the other). Also, it's hard for us to determine if Trump's inability to respond to MBS is because of MBS's money flowing to the Trump Org, or Jared's idiotic Middle East peace plan.
In that thread that eddy posted there were a ton of responses about him uncovering some connection between that MBS, I think, and Trump. Something about the $100 million that VLB posted about. Too hard to take what random people on Twitter say. Doesn't at some point the UN also step in to investigate since the guy was from Saudi Arabia, but killed in Turkey, I think that is what happened. The whole thing seems straight out of a movie.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 am

In that thread that eddy posted there were a ton of responses about him uncovering some connection between that MBS, I think, and Trump. Something about the $100 million that VLB posted about. Too hard to take what random people on Twitter say. Doesn't at some point the UN also step in to investigate since the guy was from Saudi Arabia, but killed in Turkey, I think that is what happened. The whole thing seems straight out of a movie.
The accountability part is more about the weapon sales and whatever the hell we are helping with in regards to yemen.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:08 am

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status ... 1055552513
In an exclusive new interview, Julian Castro tells us he is "likely" to run for president, taking on Donald Trump

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:15 am

At least 17 people were killed in an attack at a college in Crimea that was allegedly carried out by a student.
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1052562401311281152

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17 am

In an exclusive new interview, Julian Castro tells us he is "likely" to run for president, taking on Donald Trump
He looks boring.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:44 am

https://features.propublica.org/trump-i ... ty-khafif/

I listened to the Trump Inc podcast this morning. It's basically just saying that the practice of deceiving investors that almost got Don Jr and Ivanka indicted in NYC was BAU for all their projects. Which is whatever, who cares about people losing money on Trump projects. But I guess I'm just dumbfounded as to who was buying units in Trump properties, aside from international money launderers.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:48 am

The Trump administration says it will withdraw from a 144-year-old postal treaty, claiming it gives countries like China an unfair advantage
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1052570943242084352

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am

unfair? I thought you said fun fair :(

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am

After instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

"It’s disappointing but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said of the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018. McConnell explained to Bloomberg that "it’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future." The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015.

New Treasury Department analysis on Monday revealed that corporate tax cuts had a significant impact on the deficit this year. Federal revenue rose by 0.04 percent in 2018, a nearly 100 percent decrease last year’s 1.5 percent. In fiscal year 2018, tax receipts on corporate income fell to $205 billion from $297 billion in 2017.
McConnell is a Canaan.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am

Beto O'Rourke keeps talking about his "lifelong Republican mom."

His mom voted in Democratic primaries in 15 of the last 17 primary elections, including Democratic party primaries in 2000, 2008, 2012, and 2016 that included presidential primaries.
https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1052338498894786560

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:49 am

Who the eff is Julian Castro?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Bright young man.
Yo, who the eff is this?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:53 pm

^ nice

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:08 pm

Ok, I looked him up. I see Castro was a HUD secretary under Obama and the mayor of San Antonio.

I would say I'm probably more politically cued in than the average American, so it doesn't bode well for his presidential ambitions that I had no idea who he is.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:15 pm

After instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

"It’s disappointing but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said of the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018. McConnell explained to Bloomberg that "it’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future." The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015.

New Treasury Department analysis on Monday revealed that corporate tax cuts had a significant impact on the deficit this year. Federal revenue rose by 0.04 percent in 2018, a nearly 100 percent decrease last year’s 1.5 percent. In fiscal year 2018, tax receipts on corporate income fell to $205 billion from $297 billion in 2017.
McConnell is a Canaan.
lol

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Can anyone explain what the big deal is with this Khashoggi guy is? Obviously if what is said about how he was murdered is true it is awful but I never heard of the guy before. Anything I find on him said he's a Saudi Arabian journalist. Doesn't appear he was an American.
I doubt anyone outside of Saudi Arabia had heard of him before. As far as I can tell, he was a prominent journalist in Saudi Arabia, seems like he got out of there when this MBS dude started consolidating power, was critical of said power consolidation. And has been murdered by said power consolidator.

There are a lot of people with egg on their face here, not just Trump and Jared, but titans of entertainment and industry. It just seems like Trump has shown a complete inability to do the job, it isn't Thomas Freidman, Jeff Bezos, or Oprah's job to hold other countries accountable for human rights abuses. I know the populist right sentiment to that is, it's not our job, but ok, that response is N/A as at the same time this dude is running hits on vocal critics of the regime, the US is partnering with MBS to guide the power structure in the Middle East to our liking. (ie, Saudi Arabia and Israel on one side, the Iranians on the other). Also, it's hard for us to determine if Trump's inability to respond to MBS is because of MBS's money flowing to the Trump Org, or Jared's idiotic Middle East peace plan.
What I find interesting, in the sense that literally no one else seems to find it interesting, is that this Khashoggi fellow's uncle was a dude called Adnan. Back in the 80s, Adnan was an arms dealer and owned the largest private luxury mega-yacht in the world, Nabila. It was used as The Flying Saucer, Largo's base in the bootleg James Bond movie Never Say Never Again, but when Khashoggi fell on hard times he had to sell the boat to the Sultan of Brunei. A very short time after that, the Sultan sold the boat to an American businessman called Donald J Trump. When Trump himself fell into desperate financial straights, he sold the boat to another Saudi gent, Al-Waleed bin Talal. Al-Waleed is a member of the Saudi royal family, and was arrested in late 2017 as part of the 'purge' put on by MBS. He was released a few months later after agreeing to some sort of financial remuneration, making the detention little more than a mass shakedown.

I just think it's interesting that the current POTUS found himself interjected into this story before it even became a story. Not really saying it as a judgment thing, just sort of a remarkable confluence of personalities over time.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:48 pm

And FWIW, I actually saw Nabila (rechristened as The Trump Princess) in person back in the mid-80s when we were on vacay in Atlantic City. She was very pretty.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 pm

AdNAN you say? Quite interesting indeed...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm

I felt if I mentioned it it would seem like piling on. There's no need to get NAN wrapped up in this international intrigue. He'd just poop.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:58 pm

I thought you might be making a Serial reference.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:58 pm

The guy that killed the girl in Serial?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 pm

According to an internal report, Asians would comprise 43% of Harvard students if admission were based solely on academic merit. In reality, Asians represent 18% of enrollment.
link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/harvard-ad ... 1539806653

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm