Politics And Current Events

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:45 pm

Not really sure what your point is. Seems to be that since Kerr isn’t saying what you’d like him to, or something at all, he’s dumb. Kind of goes to my point that in this day and age we expect anyone with a microphone in front of them to have an opinion in everything.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:53 pm

Hes not dumb. Hes a coward. Frauds like him and Popovich (who DO have opinions on everything by the way) should never be taken seriously again. But as soon as the season starts they'll say something about Trump or how America sucks and the seals will start clapping again at their wisdom.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:13 pm

Ar Ar Ar

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:13 pm

Ok

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:13 pm

Not really sure what your point is. Seems to be that since Kerr isn’t saying what you’d like him to, or something at all, he’s dumb. Kind of goes to my point that in this day and age we expect anyone with a microphone in front of them to have an opinion in everything.
Are you arguing just to argue?

These "brave" pontificaters are being shown to be the craven yes men that they truly are, all because their bosses are beholden to totalitarianists in China whom they can't offend.

Do you honestly believe Steve Kerr is unaware or ignorant of what's going on in Hong Kong or with the Uigyars?

The same Steve Kerr who knew all the ins and outs of the bathroom bill in North Carolina needs to "read up" on China?

jlawokay.gif

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:18 pm

Here is where this gets even worse. ESPN is showing straight up Chinese propaganda.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:21 pm

These "brave" pontificaters are being shown to be the craven yes men that they truly are, all because their bosses are beholden to totalitarianists in China whom they can't offend.

Do you honestly believe Steve Kerr is unaware or ignorant of what's going on in Hong Kong or with the Uigyars?

The same Steve Kerr who knew all the ins and outs of the bathroom bill in North Carolina needs to "read up" on China?

jlawokay.gif
Apparently you’re looking to argue. As I’ve said a couple times, society now expects people like Kerr to give a response to everything. Since he isn’t, he’s “bad” in some way. I’m not saying he’s not a yes man; I’m saying this is one topic, and his response now defines him to some. Because he’s given thoughts on other things, he has to respond to this to have other opinions be valid. IMO, that’s a **** up take on people.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 pm

jlawokay.gif
Apparently you’re looking to argue. As I’ve said a couple times, society now expects people like Kerr to give a response to everything. Since he isn’t, he’s “bad” in some way. I’m not saying he’s not a yes man; I’m saying this is one topic, and his response now defines him to some. Because he’s given thoughts on other things, he has to respond to this to have other opinions be valid. IMO, that’s a **** up take on people.
Steve Kerr has been openly out in front politically and used his post-game speeches to give opinions on everything from gun laws to taxes. It's not like he's some random dude getting cornered.

If he is going to act like the conscience of the league when it comes to hot button domestic issues than it's pretty obvious he's erudite enough to give a learned response to a major issue affecting the league.

Not "I haven't had time to think about this widely reported story that effects a large percentage of people in the Bay Area".

Folks from Left and Right have been hammering the NBA on this. What's the big deal in calling out these outspoken people for their brazen dishonesty and cowardice when it comes to calling out China, which is evidently not as bad as North Carolina?

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 pm

We’ll see what Steve Kerr, the gutless coward of a fraud, has to say about this going forward. Of course, anything he says now will just be a response to backlash, so it doesn’t really matter. We want snap reactions. We must have it. (How long was it, btw, before he gave his thoughts on NC?)

Also, we should probably ignore that it’s very likely his employer or the league commissioner said don’t say anything about this. This is obviously a huge money issue for the nba, and has many tentacles. Would it be nice for Kerr to come out and say something like Morey did? Sure. Do I understand him not? Yeah.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:55 pm

So moral authority is based on how much money it will cost your employer?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:57 pm

That looks like he was firing some sort of muzzleloader. That's way too much smoke for modern smokeless powder.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:03 pm

So moral authority is based on how much money it will cost your employer?
I’m not sure why you think he’s a moral authority. Does giving your thoughts about something when asked make someone a moral authority? I guess so, in the current culture. Steve Kerr and every other athlete and coach should just say nothing about anything.

ETA...
Funny to see that this is used as evidence of a genuine response to the issue. Do we really think that any of these people have a) any depth of knowledge on the situation or b) care about anything other than optics?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:16 am

Normally, of course I wouldn't expect a sports figure to offer a cogent political opinion. For example, Steph Curry sounded like a fool the other day, but I expect that and can't really fault him for it.

As others have mentioned, Steve Kerr is one of the most political figures in sports. So for him to feign ignorance is indeed craven and, quite frankly, embarrassing. I've seen left-wingers and right-wingers on Reddit agreeing that this really kills all of the goodwill and credibility he once had.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:33 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 am

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:58 am

“Now the Kurds are fighting for their land,” Trump told reporters during a press conference on Wednesday night. “They didn’t help us in the Second World War, they didn’t help us with Normandy, for example.”

Trump attributed the points to an article he said he had read, which wasn’t identified, that dismissed the importance of the Kurdish alliance. He suggested that Kurds had battled alongside U.S. forces for “their land.” “They’re there to help us with their land, and that’s a different thing.”

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 am

I wouldn't really expect most players to give a **** about the HK protests. Adam Silver is being a dodint for the owners, as that's his job as the commissioner.

But, right, that answer from Kerr is the definition of gutless. The dude has branded himself an enlightened social commentator, pleading ignorance is not the way to go.
What a world we live in where he’s considered gutless because he didn’t give an answer on this. Maybe he is, but he’s got a pretty long history of being pretty smart.
I think the equivocating that he does in that response indicates that he knows what is right, but also knows that he can't say it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 am

:pop:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:10 am

“Now the Kurds are fighting for their land,” Trump told reporters during a press conference on Wednesday night. “They didn’t help us in the Second World War, they didn’t help us with Normandy, for example.”

Trump attributed the points to an article he said he had read, which wasn’t identified, that dismissed the importance of the Kurdish alliance. He suggested that Kurds had battled alongside U.S. forces for “their land.” “They’re there to help us with their land, and that’s a different thing.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-def ... h-normandy

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:15 am

President Donald Trump pressed then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to help persuade the Justice Department to drop a criminal case against an Iranian-Turkish gold trader who was a client of Rudy Giuliani, according to three people familiar with the 2017 meeting in the Oval Office.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... oj-charges

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:20 am

He's just stream of conscious abusing power.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:33 am

I'd prefer that everyone with a microphone would shut up about their opinions on things on the public stage.

That said, the dude will talk and talk and talk about Trump, how America sucks, we need equality, humanity, but as soon as China gets offended and their paychecks may go down, they shut up. It's cowardly and hypocritical IMO.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:35 am

That said, the dude will talk and talk and talk about Trump, how America sucks, we need equality, humanity, but as soon as China gets offended and their paychecks may go down, they shut up. It's cowardly and hypocritical IMO.
Talking about how America sucks was how Trump got elected.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:47 am

I wouldn't really expect most players to give a **** about the HK protests. Adam Silver is being a dodint for the owners, as that's his job as the commissioner.

But, right, that answer from Kerr is the definition of gutless. The dude has branded himself an enlightened social commentator, pleading ignorance is not the way to go.
What a world we live in where he’s considered gutless because he didn’t give an answer on this. Maybe he is, but he’s got a pretty long history of being pretty smart.
I think the equivocating that he does in that response indicates that he knows what is right, but also knows that he can't say it.
:thumb:

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:49 am

Talking about how America sucks was how Trump got elected.
OK?