Politics And Current Events

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:17 pm

This actually makes it worse for him and social media.

Social Media would likely be severely impacted by this and would require human intervention on fact checking.

Trump would have 95% of his tweets immediately removed because they're false.

I actually don't care, take Social Media away, but DiaperDon(the reason why he's upset is being called this name) would be even more pissed when he gets up and deleted because he can't spout his nonsense anymore.
I don't really know who is advising him on these things. But his entire presidency has been one 4-year long Opposite Day, so this really isn't surprising.
After the first couple months people either became yes men or covered their butts by still providing the advising but knowing full well Trump wouldn’t listen.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:38 pm

Sidney Powell, a former lawyer for the Trump campaign, led a rally in a northern Atlanta suburb in which she exhorted hundreds of the president’s supporters not to participate in the Senate runoffs in part because she said the state’s voting machines are not trustworthy.

“I would encourage all Georgians to make it known that you will not vote at all unless your vote is secure,” Powell said. “There should not be a runoff. Certainly not on Dominion machines.”
:lol:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... table-main

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Didn't **** face win states with dominion machines?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:32 pm

A review of 10 key states (Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin) finds that Dominion systems were used in 351 of 731 counties. Trump won 283 of those counties, 81 percent of the total. He won 79 percent of the counties that didn’t use Dominion systems.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ted-trump/

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:37 am

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/perdue ... -he-backed

cliffnotes: Perdue once again uses his position to benefit himself.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:43 am

A review of 10 key states (Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin) finds that Dominion systems were used in 351 of 731 counties. Trump won 283 of those counties, 81 percent of the total. He won 79 percent of the counties that didn’t use Dominion systems.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ted-trump/
Shhhhhh ignore this stuff

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:43 am

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/tech/sil ... index.html

HPE, the company that literally started Sillicon Valley, is leaving for Texas.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:50 am

Apologies if this isn't the best place for this, but in the last few months, five of my friends have moved from Los Angeles to a different state. Most are still in the industry but are now commuting in when there's work. A Youtuber that I follow is also making the move and leaving CA. When I talked to my friends, they are mostly wanting to get away from the dense urban environment. COVID certainly sparked that. They moved to AZ, a few to Colorado, one even came back to Pittsburgh. Anyway, all this to say, it seems like a lot of folks are getting out of Cali.

@tifosi77, have you noticed this same trend?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:51 am

the lib takeover of texas continues

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:58 am

I can't speak for migrating Californians, but I've noticed a ton of my brother and parents' neighbors (near Charleston, SC) are from NY, NJ, PA and other northern states. I mean, that's what we did in 1990, to be honest. :lol:

But nearly every house in their neighborhood(s) that has sold over the last six month are transplants from up north who are seeking warmer weather, lower taxation, GOP friendly, and areas with good high speed internet to work from home. My brother's new neighbor from NJ paid cash for their house less than 36 hours after it was listed. The new neighbor is a commodities trader in his 30s and can work from anywhere. Why not somewhere without a real winter and low (comparatively) taxes?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:00 am

There is a reason most people around here call it Fort Mill, New Jersey.

Someone built a house a couple hundred yards away from me and they are from the Philadelphia area. He works for Comcast and can do what he does from anywhere. Only requirement was he had to be 45 minutes from a major airport.

I'd hate to be in commercial real estate right now.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:18 am

Fort Mill seemed overpopulated when I was last there 7ish years ago. Can’t imagine the mess it has turned into since.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:24 am

Fort Mill seemed overpopulated when I was last there 7ish years ago. Can’t imagine the mess it has turned into since.
It's insane around here. I'm about 15 miles west of it on the other side of Lake Wylie and they are building four developments within a mile or two of where I sit that are going to total almost 1,000 houses.

It is growing waaaaaaaaay too fast. The infrastructure is five years behind, as is the retail commercial side. There is no oversight in the county seemingly. They just built a new high school in Fort Mill (there is three now) and they are getting ready to divide our district up into two high schools.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:28 am

That sounds absolutely miserable.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:36 am

:lol:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:40 am

That sounds absolutely miserable.
It is nice and quiet out here and soon it will not be.

Miserable is a good word.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:46 am

You should see Charleston/Mt Pleasant, Dickie. I forget when you were stationed there - but it's been a while, since the Naval Base closed a while ago.

When we moved to Mt Pleasant in 1990, the population was about 10,000 people. The 2010 Census says the population was 68,000. The estimated population as of July 2019 is just under 92,000 people. They've expanded roads, but you can only expand so much. Traffic and sprawl is out of control.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:47 am

You should see Charleston/Mt Pleasant, Dickie. I forget when you were stationed there - but it's been a while, since the Naval Base closed a while ago.

When we moved to Mt Pleasant in 1990, the population was about 10,000 people. The 2010 Census says the population was 68,000. The estimated population as of July 2019 is just under 92,000 people. They've expanded roads, but you can only expand so much. Traffic and sprawl is out of control.
I bet 50% of my extended family all lives in mt pleasant. All from western pa.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:53 am

We used to go to Fort Mill for hs baseball spring training. Lot of fun playing a 10-0 team when you haven't even practiced outdoors yet

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:54 am

I left Charleston in October 2011. It was crowded then. 24,000 more people aren’t going to help things.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:05 am

Apologies if this isn't the best place for this, but in the last few months, five of my friends have moved from Los Angeles to a different state. Most are still in the industry but are now commuting in when there's work. A Youtuber that I follow is also making the move and leaving CA. When I talked to my friends, they are mostly wanting to get away from the dense urban environment. COVID certainly sparked that. They moved to AZ, a few to Colorado, one even came back to Pittsburgh. Anyway, all this to say, it seems like a lot of folks are getting out of Cali.

tifosi77, have you noticed this same trend?
We have one household of friends that moved to CO to follow a career opportunity a couple months before we moved to SF. But about once a week, the wife posts about how much she misses CA and wants to move back, so that seems like the clock is already ticking (she's one of my only friends who is actually born-and-raised in SoCal). And I also have a YouTube creator that I follow relocate (to NV), plus a film industry friend (location scout) moved to New Orleans a few years ago, because the majority of projects he works on shoot in TX, LA, or GA.

Several southern states have started awarding massive tax breaks to film/TV production companies to entice them to move to their states; I think all of the Avengers movies were based in Atlanta, for example*. Other people just don't want to deal with the taxes and property expenses (the median home price here - statewide - is over $700k). There is even a cottage industry that has popped up in recent years to assist people in their relocation efforts, and these companies often target people of a certain political bend.

It sort of mirrors why film companies moved to CA in the first place over 100 years ago: Most film companies were initially based in New York and New Jersey, and Thomas Edison was a constant pain in the azz about patent infringement. So Carl Laemmle and a small handful of other independent filmmakers moved all the way across the country to southern CA and set up their studios - Universal, Paramount, etc. - and make their movies without the constant threat of Edison using goon squads to extort the filmmakers for the use of 'his' equipment.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:13 am

Which is interesting, as California just lured two TV show productions from NY and Florida (Hunters on Amazon, based in NY; and The Right Stuff on Disney+ from FLA) because of substantial tax breaks.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:37 am

In Union county, NC here, not far from Fort Mill and it’s exactly the same. This county has been one of the top 20 fastest growing counties in the US for the last 10 years I think. Most are from NY, NJ, PA, OH, or MI. I rent out my townhouse in Indian Land (neighboring Fort Mill) so hoping the growth keeps up, honestly.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:56 am

I'm friends with a local realtor based out of Gastonia and she in the last six months has started openly courting transplants who can WFH anywhere via internet ads and striking gold with it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:57 am

Which is interesting, as California just lured two TV show productions from NY and Florida (Hunters on Amazon, based in NY; and The Right Stuff on Disney+ from FLA) because of substantial tax breaks.
Yeah, local state and municipal bodies have recently started countering those tax breaks in TX, LA, and GA. But it doesn't always make up for the individual tax burden on the people who work for the production(s).

We also have much more stringent union rules for local productions. 'TMZ' refers to the 'thirty mile zone', which is a circle centered at the intersection of La Cienega and Beverly Blvds, and physical productions that take place in this circle are generally all union jobs in the 'studio zone'. It ranges all the way up into Ventura County and south to Orange County, the Santa Clarita Valley, and 20 miles out to sea.