Politics And Current Events

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:18 am

The entire system is so broken it's hard to know where to start. Education, healthcare, tax code loopholes, lobbyists, corporations, corrupt politicians, taxes that are too high, taxes that are too low, taxes that are not fair. We've lawyered ourselves into all of this in the interest of the almighty dollar. Can't ever prevent people from making too much money, it's our inalienable right. Life, liberty and the pursuit of more money.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:22 am

Source of the post The entire system is so broken it's hard to know where to start.
Ending lobbyists entirely.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:32 am

https://www.wgal.com/article/pennsylvan ... s/43179117

Missed this from a few weeks ago. Shapiro looking to have $2,500 tax credit for all new teachers, nurses, and cops in PA to incentivize people to go into the field. Personally I think this is a good idea. Like I mentioned before, those 3 careers I would not want to go into right now.
So I’ve spoken to my wife about this. 2500 is nothing. Our healthcare system will be completely broken in a decade if more isn’t done to attract people into healthcare. And what I’m saying is all professional programs will need to be government funded.

There’s just no reason to become a doctor, pharmacist, nurse, therapist when you are coming out of school with hundreds of thousands of debt. There’s an amazing neurosurgeon I know at UPMC who is doing some things that no one else does. He is essentially a real genius. And he’s probably making a million a year. Yes, that’s a ton of money. But the guy didn’t start making a dime basically until he was done with his two fellowships at age 35. And he probably has 300k of debt too. So what does it take to attract these sort of people when he could easily become a partner at a consulting firm by that age and be making at least they much?

Pharmacy schools, nursing schools and med schools enrollment is way down. My pharmacy schools enrollment is half of what it was when I was there. People are realizing that going into healthcare just isn’t worth it in a lot of ways when you don’t make as much, needs to be schooled longer, and then on top of it deal with alot of people who are often downright nasty to you. It’s tough
A friend of ours is finally finishing up his 15 years of post-high school education to become a doctor that actually gets paid money. He's easily 400k in debt and I don't think a million per year is in his future as an ER doctor. He would absolutely not do it again and came to that conclusion five years ago but felt he was too financially invested at that point to pívot to something else.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:45 am

https://www.wgal.com/article/pennsylvan ... s/43179117

Missed this from a few weeks ago. Shapiro looking to have $2,500 tax credit for all new teachers, nurses, and cops in PA to incentivize people to go into the field. Personally I think this is a good idea. Like I mentioned before, those 3 careers I would not want to go into right now.
So I’ve spoken to my wife about this. 2500 is nothing. Our healthcare system will be completely broken in a decade if more isn’t done to attract people into healthcare. And what I’m saying is all professional programs will need to be government funded.

There’s just no reason to become a doctor, pharmacist, nurse, therapist when you are coming out of school with hundreds of thousands of debt. There’s an amazing neurosurgeon I know at UPMC who is doing some things that no one else does. He is essentially a real genius. And he’s probably making a million a year. Yes, that’s a ton of money. But the guy didn’t start making a dime basically until he was done with his two fellowships at age 35. And he probably has 300k of debt too. So what does it take to attract these sort of people when he could easily become a partner at a consulting firm by that age and be making at least they much?

Pharmacy schools, nursing schools and med schools enrollment is way down. My pharmacy schools enrollment is half of what it was when I was there. People are realizing that going into healthcare just isn’t worth it in a lot of ways when you don’t make as much, needs to be schooled longer, and then on top of it deal with alot of people who are often downright nasty to you. It’s tough
A friend of ours is finally finishing up his 15 years of post-high school education to become a doctor that actually gets paid money. He's easily 400k in debt and I don't think a million per year is in his future as an ER doctor. He would absolutely not do it again and came to that conclusion five years ago but felt he was too financially invested at that point to pívot to something else.
My sister has often told me she wishes she'd just become a nurse practitioner. Less schooling, less debt, maybe less stress but that's probably debatable depending on specializations, etc.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:49 am

the unspoken message point I have is this: working in hospitals sucks in general. Too much stress, too much icky stuff. No compensation can fix that problem

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:57 am

I saw trump calling for riots over his pending indictment (that never happened) last week and was on a work trip… perfect opportunity to not pay attention to the news for a week.

Did I miss anything fun?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:21 am

I have five siblings/sibling in laws that are in medicine. All of them went to grad school and have a lot more loans than I do. The only one who makes more money than me, in software, is my sister who’s a neurologist. I make almost 3 times as much as my sister in law who is a dietician

Also I work less in general as well as an guaranteed to get holidays off. Albeit their work is more fulfilling but all things considered, it’s a tough sell

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:25 am

Over the last couple of months, I've presented to about a dozen different dental residencies. It's always kind of crazy that all of these residents are anywhere from 32 to their 40s, and many of them have kids. By the time they actually get out into the workforce, they are almost my age now.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:02 pm

I have five siblings/sibling in laws that are in medicine. All of them went to grad school and have a lot more loans than I do. The only one who makes more money than me, in software, is my sister who’s a neurologist. I make almost 3 times as much as my sister in law who is a dietician

Also I work less in general as well as an guaranteed to get holidays off. Albeit their work is more fulfilling but all things considered, it’s a tough sell
Same for teachers.

“Hey, I know you went to college for 4 years and are expect to do continuing education, but here’s a job that pays less than a bartender and is way more stressful…”

Teachers and healthcare employees (not meow) are wonderful and this world sucks where most don’t appreciate them like they should.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:09 pm

Teachers and healthcare employees (not meow) are wonderful and this world sucks where most don’t appreciate them like they should.
:thumb:

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:13 pm

Source of the post Teachers and healthcare employees (not meow) are wonderful and this world sucks where most don’t appreciate them like they should.
:thumb: I would also argue with the take "No compensation can fix that problem."

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:42 pm

Source of the post Teachers and healthcare employees (not meow) are wonderful and this world sucks where most don’t appreciate them like they should.
:thumb: I would also argue with the take "No compensation can fix that problem."
I think it depends. I think compensation CAN help but its not the end all be all. From my experience medical professionals get into the field to help people but it’s complicated with all the other **** they have to deal with (tons of schooling, massive loans, shitty healthcare companies/hospitals, etc)

like many other things in 2023, it’s broken and there’s no indication it’ll ever get fixed because of lobbyists

**** lobbyists

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:44 pm

No argument with that. Compensation is just part of the problem, but it's a fairly big part AND it's one that should be a fairly easy fix.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:50 pm

In the book I just read, they talked about how doctors made less money in Finland, but the hours were much better and of course their education was paid for due to free university. So there are many ways to fix the problem, but I don't see us going to a system where we have free education and healthcare. Money makes the rules.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:57 pm

Re nursing

COVID was the rainfall the broke the levee. All of these systemic issues have been present in healthcare for years/decades, but then you layer on top of that all the s**t from the pandemic and it quickly presented an incentive for people to seek alternate career options. One of Mrs Tif's best friends was a high up nursing administrator with a major health system here in CA, spent years working up that ladder as a trauma surgical nurse (did a lot of Drs Without Borders stuff, traveling far and wide to reattach people's hands or put their innards back inside them or whatever after this or that natural disaster or war crime), and then COVID hit. Between extreme patient volume and other nurses straight up quitting, she went back on the floor (or whatever the colloquial expression is) just to relieve staffing shortages. And then was greeted by the absolute worst of us claiming the whole thing was fake, both in her job and outside in the real world (she stopped counting the number of people who died in 2020 still believing their illness was a hoax). So when things finally settled down, she decided it would be a good idea to retire - she's 52 years old - and she and her husband sold their house and f**ked off to Spain.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:21 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/media/sinema-ga ... -klain.amp

Sinema realizing her only hope now is to become the gop nominee for senate

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:02 pm

The headline should be "Thousands of People Prove They Don’t Understand the First Amendment."

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:29 pm

Im helping

And mrs meow is a teacher

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:32 am

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:06 am

The headline should be "Thousands of People Prove They Don’t Understand the First Amendment."

Make the University make the correct legal call. I have the right to say I don't like it. Let the system work. :roll:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:21 am

I think we should eradicate TP USA. It took like three articles to find out what the events were that the students were objecting to.

All TP USA pitt chapter events, one hosting that swimmer that lost to the trans woman, some loser i've never heard of, and the last one that loser we all learned about for saying we need to eradicate transgender at CPAC.

The university needs to be adults here. The TP USA incels are doing this solely to get student groups to protest and "cancel" them. Getting articles written so that adults like Shyster can find more cancel culture content to jerk off to.

I feel like the university can just be like, no you can't use your chapter to do real life trolling. But really, this is like all people seem to have these days. If they don't have a culture war to fight, they have nothing.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:41 am

If they don't have a culture war to fight, they have nothing.
Correct.
Now, Knowles you could make a case for because he just made a speech on eradicating transgenderism then couched it in terms of the practice/condition versus the people. A case for protecting the safety of students might be made but I feel like it's been quite obvious lately that the legal system would rather people incite a riot first and allow violence to occur and then punish them rather than restrict the inciting rhetoric that it knows is coming.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:08 am

If they don't have a culture war to fight, they have nothing.
Correct.
Now, Knowles you could make a case for because he just made a speech on eradicating transgenderism then couched it in terms of the practice/condition versus the people. A case for protecting the safety of students might be made but I feel like it's been quite obvious lately that the legal system would rather people incite a riot first and allow violence to occur and then punish them rather than restrict the inciting rhetoric that it knows is coming.
Dunno man, when we're trying to parse words to determine whether someone is advocating for mass killing or not, we're in a place where we don't want to be.

It's just not good. And yes, I am advocating for cancel culture. Cause I think it's a thing that you have to do sometimes, and I think people that decry cancel culture are dumb.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:11 am

Ur dum.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:39 pm

https://triblive.com/news/banner/zappal ... y-demands/

Allegheny county DA threatening to keep Kennywood from opening due to security risks.