Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:28 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... sters.html

Unfortunately because they are black, police shot them on the spot........

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:34 am

Source of the post No one is starving in this country.
Do you really believe this bullshit?
Woof. Shad I'd suggest helping at your local food bank.
I've spent about 30 hours this year alone helping out at our local Lancaster County Food Bank, in addition to the financial support throughout the year. I am not saying there aren't a LOT of people that need more help than others. I get it.

There are AMPLE resources in this country for families that cannot afford food, bills, etc. I was in one of those families when I was younger. Between government programs, charity, church outreach, food pantries, etc., no one should be struggling to eat.

We're not living in medieval Europe, in which moms and dads are being forced to steal a loaf of bread and risk having their hand removed. The distribution of wealth in this country is not good--you won't get any disagreement from me there. But the argument that anyone in this country needs to loot stores or rob people to "feed their children" is a patent lie and another excuse made up to condone their behavior.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:35 am

maybe I’m going out on a limb but I’m guessing the looting for Nordstrom wasn’t done by poor, starving people

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:36 am

And literally no one here is saying they're doing it to "feed children".

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:39 am

And literally no one here is saying they're doing it to "feed children".
I'm aware. But that has been a very consistent narrative from the apologists in the social justice world.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:41 am

Problem: crime

We get it...

Solution? Locking people up hasn't worked thus far. But maybe locking more people up will work?

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:43 am

Crime is the fault of the left.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:46 am

:roll:

Pretty sure the point you're making fun of is that if they had fired multiple rounds they would have been shot or at least arrested, as opposed to walking back to the police and being treated to water and a blanket.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:48 am

We get it...

Solution? Locking people up hasn't worked thus far. But maybe locking more people up will work?
There's always going to be crime. But allowing people to get away scott free has made it more open and brazen. And yes, that includes white collar and political crimes as well. Need to come down harder on those as well IMO.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:50 am

Pretty sure the point you're making fun of is that if they had fired multiple rounds they would have been shot or at least arrested, as opposed to walking back to the police and being treated to water and a blanket.
No, I've been told numerous times on here that if someone was open carrying during a protest and was black, they'd be shot.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:51 am

We get it...

There's always going to be crime. But allowing people to get away scott free has made it more open and brazen. And yes, that includes white collar and political crimes as well. Need to come down harder on those as well IMO.
We literally lock up more people per capita than any other country in the entire world. So do we fine them? Force them to pay money they don't have in order to solve the problem?

I'm not sure people are just getting away scott free either. I don't think that's a thing.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:53 am

No, I've been told numerous times on here that if someone was open carrying during a protest and was black, they'd be shot.
lol, love these

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:59 am

lol, love these
I'm sure someone paid them to carry.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:04 am

We literally lock up more people per capita than any other country in the entire world. So do we fine them? Force them to pay money they don't have in order to solve the problem?

I'm not sure people are just getting away scott free either. I don't think that's a thing.
Honest question. Not trying to be snarky.

If locking up isn't working, and fining is a bad idea, what is the solution?

It seems pouring resources to rehabilitate them doesn't always work either. And others have said in here, it's not like they are looting grocery stores for food. And in the case of white collar crime, it's a case of wanting more, even though a lot of times they are well off.

Even violent crimes such as just randomly walking up and punching someone is becoming more and more of a problem. Just open in daylight in public.

I guess just looking for an honest discussion on how to fix this. But at the end of the day, obviously there is no right "fix all" answer.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:05 am

KR and yesterday's events don't seem very comparable...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:07 am

Even violent crimes such as just randomly walking up and punching someone is becoming more and more of a problem. Just open in daylight in public.
Is it becoming more of a problem, or are you just hearing about it more because you're always connected to the internet?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:08 am

It seems pouring resources to rehabilitate them doesn't always work either. And others have said in here, it's not like they are looting grocery stores for food. And in the case of white collar crime, it's a case of wanting more, even though a lot of times they are well off.

I guess just looking for an honest discussion on how to fix this. But at the end of the day, obviously there is no right "fix all" answer.
That's exactly what I'm asking... :lol:

And I don't think crime is up at all... Even with recent, modest upticks in crime, overall crime is far lower than it was in its peak in the early 90s. But despite crime dropping, incarceration rates have either continued to climb or have maintained year after year. I would think if crime is down, so should incarceration, right?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:11 am

At the base level, most certainly. However, when I see a bunch of San Francisco politicians and community leaders firing off incendiary tweets about the KR case that are not grounded in reality, I genuinely wonder how much responsibility they have. Leftist Twitter is an insane place. It doesn't take much of a spark.

It's no different than the stop the steal folks. When you constantly give a wink to the most extreme/troublesome elements of your constituency, you are responsible for the damage that your words cause.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:12 am

Yeah, they are totally different situations and aren't connected IMO. Just happen to be in the same area. Just horrible though.

And not that it makes it any better, at least in the KR case, people chose to be there knowing it was a chaotic environment.

The parade, I mean these people were completely innocent just enjoying the holidays. And again, you don't want to ever see anyone get hurt or die, but man, just the kids being part of that, that part makes me sick to my stomach.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:14 am

I would suggest doing some light research on how incarceration has effectively entrenched second class citizen status on a huge portion of our population. So, once imprisoned you are effectively blocked out from being a full fledged member of society, thus you can't be "rehabilitated".

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:14 am

Violent crime is way up. Philly is about to hit 500 homicides this year. This was the most recent one.

https://6abc.com/pregnant-woman-murder- ... /11260332/
Sources identified the woman as Jessica Covington.

Police say the victim was shot in the head and stomach outside of her home while she was unloading gifts from her own baby shower.

Covington and her unborn child were both pronounced dead a short time later at Einstein Medical Center.

Roughly 11 shell casings were found at the scene. Investigators believe Covington may have been targeted.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 am

Oh nocera was talking about the parade. I agree, unless it comes out that this dude was radicalized.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 am

At the base level, most certainly. However, when I see a bunch of San Francisco politicians and community leaders firing off incendiary tweets about the KR case that are not grounded in reality, I genuinely wonder how much responsibility they have. Leftist Twitter is an insane place. It doesn't take much of a spark.

It's no different than the stop the steal folks. When you constantly give a wink to the most extreme/troublesome elements of your constituency, you are responsible for the damage that your words cause.
The one through-line here being twitter and facebook

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:21 am

Again, how does Waukesha affect us in Pennsylvania, SC, NC, etc.? Another viral media story ginned up to build clicks and divide the country further. Stop paying attention to this type of thing, and the stories go away. (Not directed to anyone here, just our phone-addicted, click happy society we live in).
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
While I 1000% agree with this sentiment, the left, or rather the hard core SJW types, have made sitting on the sideline akin to committing the atrocities yourself. Ignoring something now means that you are complicit, and therefore part of the problem.

They've also recently been using race and systemic racism as a common denominator for all things bad in this country. It excuses some people's behavior while demonizing other's, but in very large brush strokes. Doing so has also made whatever happened in Waukesha, or Kenosha, or Pittsburgh, or wherever, everyone's problem. You are obligated to take notice and have an opinion, but your opinion is only acceptable if it falls within 'their' box. Disagree and you're bad. Sit this one out, and you're bad.

One of the major problems with that? They end up labeling over half of the country as bad...and they are not shy about sharing that opinion. And then they sit there bewildered about how someone like Trump could possibly be elected, and then almost reelected. Oh, that's right, half the country is a bunch of bigoted, racist white supremacists, sexist homophobes...cause, you know, we say so. That's a problem for the left in general right now.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:25 am

While I 1000% agree with this sentiment, the left, or rather the hard core SJW types, have made sitting on the sideline akin to committing the atrocities yourself. Ignoring something now means that you are complicit, and therefore part of the problem.

They've also recently been using race and systemic racism as a common denominator for all things bad in this country. It excuses some people's behavior while demonizing other's, but in very large brush strokes. Doing so has also made whatever happened in Waukesha, or Kenosha, or Pittsburgh, or wherever, everyone's problem. You are obligated to take notice and have an opinion, but your opinion is only acceptable if it falls within 'their' box. Disagree and you're bad. Sit this one out, and you're bad.

One of the major problems with that? They end up labeling over half of the country as bad...and they are not shy about sharing that opinion. And then they sit there bewildered about how someone like Trump could possibly be elected, and then almost reelected. Oh, that's right, half the country is a bunch of bigoted, racist white supremacists, sexist homophobes...cause, you know, we say so. That's a problem for the left in general right now.
I mean I committed the autrocity of voting for a friend who ran as an R for the school board, and it somehow turned into me supporting the 1/6 riots. Damn me.