Politics And Current Events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:40 am

Apparently the Nordstrom looting thing is something that happens on a semi-regular (meaning other people knew stuff like this happened before, and it's not the first time this store has been hit) basis and this just appears to be the first time the national media has caught it and ran with it.
Honestly, this makes it far worse. Why a city that is so reliant on tourism would gladly hand the streets over to the dregs of society is beyond me.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:41 am

It's not just San Francisco. Happens all over the US.

Added this to my post, but since it's on the other page:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:46 am

Apparently the Nordstrom looting thing is something that happens on a semi-regular (meaning other people knew stuff like this happened before, and it's not the first time this store has been hit) basis and this just appears to be the first time the national media has caught it and ran with it.

Just judging by the comments on this post:

Strange, because I feel like I hear stories about shoplifting at Walgreens and CVS from San Francisco. Maybe it's because there is the video of all these cars

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 am

Ah it happens all the time. Move along

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:54 am

This story and these mass looting events seem to me to be an indication of the strain in the social fabric. Something **** up is going on, also the cares act unemployment has turned out to be like the greatest fraud heist in human history. That is just being untangled, but there was some kind of massive fraud ring that executed the largest fraud ever.

Just getting a weird sinking feeling that these are the sort of things people look back and point to as the bad omens.
Yep this is how I feel. We failed miserably somewhere along the way when teens and young adults think its ok to do this stuff.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:55 am

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying this is more "organized crime" than "some black people wanted to loot a store" as shad seems to be suggesting.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:58 am

I'm saying this is more "organized crime" than "some black people wanted to loot a store" as shad seems to be suggesting.
Got it. We had our daycare hit by "felony lane gang" a few times, which is an organized crime ring that uses young black people (I think) to rob cars at daycare drop-off across the country.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:59 am

This story and these mass looting events seem to me to be an indication of the strain in the social fabric. Something **** up is going on, also the cares act unemployment has turned out to be like the greatest fraud heist in human history. That is just being untangled, but there was some kind of massive fraud ring that executed the largest fraud ever.

Just getting a weird sinking feeling that these are the sort of things people look back and point to as the bad omens.
Yep this is how I feel. We failed miserably somewhere along the way when teens and young adults think its ok to do this stuff.
I think this is a surface level observation on this stuff. I think back to this idea a lot: The US is both a third-world country and the richest nation in the world. The conditions of the poor in this country are untenable, and this is the outgrowth of that.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:04 am

Bingo.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:27 am

In his defense, shad’s first suggestion is always black people.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:33 am

Got it. We had our daycare hit by "felony lane gang" a few times, which is an organized crime ring that uses young black people (I think) to rob cars at daycare drop-off across the country.
If 100 people coordinate a mass looting of a department store, that is basically the definition of "organized crime". I mean, it's not the italian mafia, but it seems to be some coordinated activity undertaken and planned in a manner that none of us are aware of...because, you know, we don't live and do our jobs on the internet from relative comfort.

And I am not trying to excuse anything, I am just trying to see the whole picture.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:37 am

My only real umbrage is that most of the media is calling it "looting" because they're trying to drum up connections to the few pop-up protests from the Rittenhouse decision.

The article in the Reddit link I posted buried the whole "there's no connection to the protests" thing in the last paragraph.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:46 am

The looting is bad, and the looting also has no connection to Rittenhouse like that thread was suggesting.

And if what shad says is true, that a large number of moderates would rather support efforts to subvert democracy rather than support the feeling of "white guilt" I think that says all you need to about the state of American democracy.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:53 am

Based on all of the tweets I'm seeing on that Waukesha incident, apparently BLM is behind it all.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:01 am

My only real umbrage is that most of the media is calling it "looting" because they're trying to drum up connections to the few pop-up protests from the Rittenhouse decision.

The article in the Reddit link I posted buried the whole "there's no connection to the protests" thing in the last paragraph.
It's literally the definition of looting. I'm not sure what the beef is here.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:04 am

Waukesha suspect identified.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4117021/da ... as-parade/
Darrell Edward Brooks, 39, who goes by the alias MathBoi Fly, was detained by cops in Waukesha, Wisconsin after the red Ford Escape sped through the town
One of his songs 'X' has the lyrics "f*** Donald Trump" and "f*** the pigs".

He posted a video on one of his Twitter accounts ranting about a speech made by then President Barack Obama which he called "a crock of b******".

Waukesha Police confirmed "a person of interest" was in custody.
Another struggling rapper.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:08 am

We failed miserably somewhere along the way when teens and young adults think its ok to do this stuff.
The dominant ideology of 'me' over that of 'we' is incompatible with a civil society.
The conditions of the poor in this country are untenable, and this is the outgrowth of that.
If this was grocery stores being looted, sure, but it's high-end stuff. IMO, this is more an outgrowth of the pervasive culture of selfishness and greed than desperation.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:09 am

Again, how does Waukesha affect us in Pennsylvania, SC, NC, etc.? Another viral media story ginned up to build clicks and divide the country further. Stop paying attention to this type of thing, and the stories go away. (Not directed to anyone here, just our phone-addicted, click happy society we live in).

Here's an actual story that needs more coverage:
Russia has more than 92,000 troops amassed around Ukraine’s borders and is preparing for an attack by the end of January or beginning of February, the head of Ukraine’s defense intelligence agency told Military Times.

Such an attack would likely involve airstrikes, artillery and armor attacks followed by airborne assaults in the east, amphibious assaults in Odessa and Mariupul and a smaller incursion through neighboring Belarus, Ukraine Brig. Gen. Kyrylo Budanov told Military Times Saturday morning in an exclusive interview.

Russia’s large-scale Zapad 21 military exercise earlier this year proved, for instance, that they can drop upwards of 3,500 airborne and special operations troops at once, he said.

The attack Russia is preparing, said Budanov, would be far more devastating than anything before seen in the conflict that began in 2014 that has seen some 14,000 Ukrainians killed.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:12 am

We failed miserably somewhere along the way when teens and young adults think its ok to do this stuff.
The dominant ideology of 'me' over that of 'we' is incompatible with a civil society.
The conditions of the poor in this country are untenable, and this is the outgrowth of that.
If this was grocery stores being looted, sure, but it's high-end stuff. IMO, this is more an outgrowth of the pervasive culture of selfishness and greed than desperation.
Well said.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:13 am

Yet the defense is that surely the looters are selling all of the high-end stuff they are stealing to put food on the table for their families.

The people that claim that...you don't actually believe that, do you?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:21 am

Also, one of the central tenets of hip-hop/rap culture going back to the 90s is the dominant importance of materialism. Getting stacks, driving Bentleys, etc. Look at all of the stupid athletes that are bankrupt by the time they turn 26. Bling, cars, money, clothes, etc. It's more important than anything.

I know it's taboo to even suggest that there are cultural things at play here, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that looting has become so widespread in the cities over the last couple of years. When you combine the cultural factors above with a general sense of lawlessness and breakdown of law and order, none of this should be surprising. There is a reason why all of the stores that are getting looted are high-end luxury stores. When's the last time you saw a bunch of single mothers looting an Acme for food? You didn't, because that's not what's happening. No one is starving in this country. This is being driven by both men and women that want to get theirs.

It goes back to the statue nonsense last year. The statues and memorials themselves are not important. However, it's what their destruction represented that was the far darker element of it. I couldn't care less about "remembering history", or any of the other typical Glenn Beck platitudes. The biggest reason that disturbed me so badly was that we, as a society, were essentially telling people that they could go run wild and break numerous laws, and not only would they not face any repercussions for it, but they would actually be lauded and celebrated by a large chunk of society. There is no redeeming that choice. You cannot let civil society breakdown in some misguided pursuit of "social justice".

I know that the vast majority of Americans (hell, people everywhere) are appalled at what they are seeing.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:21 am

Yet the defense is that surely the looters are selling all of the high-end stuff they are stealing to put food on the table for their families.

The people that claim that...you don't actually believe that, do you?
I think they do.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:26 am

Source of the post No one is starving in this country.
Do you really believe this bullshit?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:27 am

Again, how does Waukesha affect us in Pennsylvania, SC, NC, etc.? Another viral media story ginned up to build clicks and divide the country further. Stop paying attention to this type of thing, and the stories go away. (Not directed to anyone here, just our phone-addicted, click happy society we live in).
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:28 am

Source of the post No one is starving in this country.
Do you really believe this bullshit?
Woof. Shad I'd suggest helping at your local food bank.