Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:04 pm

Best case scenario would be some new open-carry restrictions, especially around public gatherings. Not sure what the rule is in PA, but whatever it is in WI is obviously bad.
Shyster illustrated that the WI law is so poorly drafted that there's a weird omission that flat ignores the existence of 17-year olds. It's like 16 and under, and 18 and over. That one year of life is open season!

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:09 pm

So...your issue is with China's version of "capitalism"...?

I'm not the one making grandiose claims here. I'm just trying to understand what the claims are and then I can better gauge how to handle the conversation...as we've seen, a lot of people here are very good at making claims, but not very good at having them pointed correctly or, in some cases, having them based in reality...or, in this case, based in the United States...
I don't think this is really that hard to understand. People, in general, will take advantage of a system that provides a quality service at a good price. The consumer cares most about the bottom line and value. We are selfish, and I don't say that in a bad way. I want to pay the lowest price possible. However, that doesn't mean that the company doesn't have major faults and isn't doing bad things because people are willing to use them. Yes, there is a level of hypocrisy in that. But it's also ok to point out that some business practices suck.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:13 pm

I dont hunt but like, obviously more Rs hunt than Ds. Animal rights folk are left. Gun enthusiasts are right. It seems kinda obvious.

Maybe partisan isn't the right term but certainly tied to party identity
Yeah, I don't think partisan is the right term, or really even party identity. People who like to hunt, hunt. Yes, more R's hunt. More R's probably play golf too. I just don't think it's really relevant.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:15 pm

I mean, news outlets used terms like "murderer" and "domestic terrorist" against a person who didn't commit a crime in the eyes of the law so it seems like a pretty cut and dry defamation suit to me. He's gonna get paid
And then he'll turn it over after the wrongful death civil suits. Hopefully.
I'm interested in the legal nuances in Wisconsin around fault

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:19 pm

I dont hunt but like, obviously more Rs hunt than Ds. Animal rights folk are left. Gun enthusiasts are right. It seems kinda obvious.

Maybe partisan isn't the right term but certainly tied to party identity
Yeah, I don't think partisan is the right term, or really even party identity. People who like to hunt, hunt. Yes, more R's hunt. More R's probably play golf too. I just don't think it's really relevant.
I think it's a correlation =/= causation thing

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:24 pm

I feel like this Rittenhouse thing, though technically legal based on the factors of the case, is going to empower more people to open carry and stir **** up at protests, so when they inevitably get to shoot their gun, they can claim self defense.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:27 pm

I feel like this Rittenhouse thing, though technically legal based on the factors of the case, is going to empower more people to open carry and stir **** up at protests, so when they inevitably get to shoot their gun, they can claim self defense.
Good news for people that reflexively hate protests.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:32 pm

:lol:

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:35 pm

Only hope was that he'd be found guilty of something that would revoke his right to own a firearm. Once the firearm charge disappeared that wasn't going to happen so I resigned myself to defeat. Can't say the world got any safer with that decision.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:39 pm

Only hope was that he'd be found guilty of something that would revoke his right to own a firearm. Once the firearm charge disappeared that wasn't going to happen so I resigned myself to defeat. Can't say the world got any safer with that decision.
Probably not.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:54 pm

So...your issue is with China's version of "capitalism"...?

I'm not the one making grandiose claims here. I'm just trying to understand what the claims are and then I can better gauge how to handle the conversation...as we've seen, a lot of people here are very good at making claims, but not very good at having them pointed correctly or, in some cases, having them based in reality...or, in this case, based in the United States...
I don't think this is really that hard to understand. People, in general, will take advantage of a system that provides a quality service at a good price. The consumer cares most about the bottom line and value. We are selfish, and I don't say that in a bad way. I want to pay the lowest price possible. However, that doesn't mean that the company doesn't have major faults and isn't doing bad things because people are willing to use them. Yes, there is a level of hypocrisy in that. But it's also ok to point out that some business practices suck.
Sure, that's you. You're a rational person making a reasonable claim. I can't assume that I'm always talking to a rational person. Especially because - for whatever reason - individual CEOs can be a hot button issue for some (what a life...) - so you get misplaced anti-capitalism claims, and slavery, and China...and, well, you can see how quickly it just goes off the rails for some folks...

I guess the idea is that anyone can say a topic sentence...I'll pick on myself here...I hate Dwayne 'the rock' Johnson. There's my topic sentence. At first blush, it's not very reasonable - some might say. So I get asked to elaborate, and it's talking it out, that you realize, there isn't much of anything there: I think wrestling is for total losers, I don't think his acting is good, I don't like the one eyed Rick thing that he does or whatever...I don't like him.

Then people will point out how his acting has progressed, how does charitable this, and is a good guy for that...and next thing you know, the whole "I hate the Rock" thing kind of crumbles...

So that's where I'm at...everyone can have their fun with topic sentences, but by sentence three, sentence four...is there anything...there...? That's all...just killing time on a Friday afternoon...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Certainly... I think you're a little deluded if you don't agree that more Rs hunt than Ds.
That's a modern development like a lot of other activities that have become partisan over the past 25+ years. It certainly wasn't like that when I was growing up in Pgh as the working class were all democrats.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:11 pm

That's correct, though. There was nothing in the law preventing you from showing up to counter-protest armed with an assault rifle before KR and there isn't one after. As long as you can prove you shot in self defense, go nuts pride boys.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:11 pm

Probably not.

That street goes both ways. aka, **** Around and Find Out.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:35 pm

I mean, news outlets used terms like "murderer" and "domestic terrorist" against a person who didn't commit a crime in the eyes of the law so it seems like a pretty cut and dry defamation suit to me. He's gonna get paid
And then he'll turn it over after the wrongful death civil suits. Hopefully.
I'm interested in the legal nuances in Wisconsin around fault
I just poked around a bit to see if there was a case already filed. Strangely (to me) the Wrongful Death suit filed by one of the families of a dead protestor named the Kenosha PD and the sheriff but not Rittenhouse.

https://www.wisn.com/article/kyle-ritte ... a/37329433

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:16 pm

Considering that he was acquitted on all counts, the gun charge was dismissed, and he's now over 18, he should actually get his gun back now (if he wants it back). He could probably raise some money by auctioning it off.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:51 pm

That’s grotesque and probably true.

He’s apparently going on tucker Carlson Monday.

Not sure how that isn’t glorifying violende

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 pm

Didn't George Zimmerman auction off his pistol?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:09 pm

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:19 pm

Republicans in the Pennsylvania Senate said Friday they will pay up to $270,000 over the next six months to have an Iowa consulting firm examine the 2020 election with an eye toward developing changes to state election law.

The “forensic investigation” is being launched in response to pressure from Republican supporters of former President Donald Trump upset over his 80,000-vote loss in the state, but is well short of the Arizona-style “audit” that many of them have clamored for.

A related subpoena issued by a GOP-controlled Senate committee, seeking voter data from the executive branch, is currently on hold awaiting a hearing in Commonwealth Court next month.

The contract was signed by Majority Leader Kim Ward, R-Westmoreland, and Envoy Sage, a Dubuque, Iowa-based company. Senate Republican spokesperson Jason Thompson said it will be made public in redacted form in the coming days.

The company will be paid out of a taxpayer-funded leadership account that Ms. Ward controls and the agreement can be extended, he said.
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/polit ... 2111190152

Envoy Sage

May 2020 - Present 1 year 7 months

Dubuque, Iowa, United States

Consulting services focused on operational strategy, business advisory services, competitive intelligence and influence operations.
Seems legit...

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:34 pm

As has now been found by a jury, Rittenhouse engaged in lawful self-defense. Lawful self-defense should be lauded and supported; it's a fundamental right.

I'd bid on the rifle. It would be neat to own the gun that put a couple of criminal antifa f**ks in the ground. I'm sure it would go for far more than I could afford, though.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:38 pm

Well, I wish I could unread that.

Good night.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:54 pm

As has now been found by a jury, Rittenhouse engaged in lawful self-defense. Lawful self-defense should be lauded and supported; it's a fundamental right.

I'd bid on the rifle. It would be neat to own the gun that put a couple of criminal antifa f**ks in the ground. I'm sure it would go for far more than I could afford, though.
Just one soul, really.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:04 pm

Damn. That's **** up