Politics And Current Events

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:47 pm

The median of social opinion does not favor crippling the federal govt. Republicans do.

The median of social opinion is not down with death cult the Great Covid Denial. Republicans are.

The median of social opinion does not believe that storming the Capitol, assaulting shopowners/employees for asking them to put on a mask, and screaming at folks at school board meetings are acceptable behavior. Republicans marched with the people doing those things.

The median of social opinion does not believe that democracy is nonsense and should be replaced by a dictatorial cult of personality. Republicans are bending over backwards to appease **** and to cancel those who don't.

I'm not saying that all Reps share those opinions. But an increasing percentage does, and they're most often the loudest and most visible members of the party. That might win votes in Peoria, but it's not going to play in Brooklyn or Los Angeles.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:14 pm

See, Shyster and Willie Kool proved my earlier point. I'm proud of myself.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:15 pm

Should I care that ten rich people get richer...?
Depends if you think it’s okay for them to exploit people in the worst ways to get there.

Perspective wise. You somehow go back to 2500BC and somehow save 10k per day without spending any until today. You still don’t have near the wealth of Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:23 pm

See, Shyster and Willie Kool proved my earlier point.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:24 pm

I'm proud of myself.
Pride - one of the Seven Republican Virtues...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:51 pm

See, Shyster and Willie Kool proved my earlier point.
:lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:34 pm

Depends if you think it’s okay for them to exploit people in the worst ways to get there.
Slavery? They enslave people...? I feel like that would have come up on Twitter...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:53 pm

Yeah... You can't do that

https://news.yahoo.com/rittenhouse-judg ... 20163.html
Judge Bruce Schroeder said that Kenosha police pulled over a person who identified himself as James J. Morrison on Wednesday night after he ran a red light about a block behind the jury bus. Schroeder said that Morrison told police he was a producer with NBC News and MSNBC and had been instructed by his supervisor, Irene Byon, to follow the bus.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 pm

Slavery? They enslave people...? I feel like that would have come up on Twitter...
Amazon piss bottles etc. trying to now create company towns and stores. History repeating so yes.

Further, in general, automation was supposed to make it so people didn’t have to slave away at jobs. I don’t think people are angry that others are rich but more so that those people are free to pursue **** that actually makes them happy (like going to space). Where as many working people today are burnt out and stuck in a cycle of work/ear/sleep/repeat with little time for more fulfilling things or being too exhausted to pursue those things… obviously getting a bit off topic but the 40 hour work week should have been gone long ago.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:02 pm

Other than maybe the one French guy on that list, I don't believe that any of the others started out rich or inherited their wealth. For the most part, Musk, Bezos, Gates, etc. made their money by starting companies that turned out to be wildly successful, which means that investors view them was high-value investments to own. Buffett made his money through a lifetime of careful investment. None of them had money handed to them.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 pm

I always thought it was interesting that some think automation will lead to people getting paid to do nothing. There are some intermediary steps in there that all seem pretty difficult as a society and almost nobody is working on solutions.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:40 am

None of them had money handed to them.
This is simply not true. Nothing disreputable about being born into well-off families, of course. But these guys are hardly rags to riches stories.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:07 am

Tesla was not started by Musk.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:36 am

Corrections officer fatally shot at Altoona court building

https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/loc ... -building/
The inmate identified as Christopher Aikens, 54 of Altoona, was transported from Blair County Jail to the court building for a preliminary hearing. Aikens took the weapon from Russell and assaulted her when he was being returned to the cell after using the bathroom. He was uncuffed during the incident.

An officer in the court building reportedly overheard the fight between Aikens and Russell. Troopers say the officer then opened the cell door and found Aikens holding Russell and pointing the pistol at her. The officer fired a shot at Aikens but ended up hitting Russell when she was moved into the line of fire, according to state police.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:56 am

And? He brought it to where it is today.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:58 am

I always thought it was interesting that some think automation will lead to people getting paid to do nothing. There are some intermediary steps in there that all seem pretty difficult as a society and almost nobody is working on solutions.
They are waiting on the robots to figure out the solutions for them and then will collect the checks when they do.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:00 am

And? I never said that he didn't.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:04 am

Yeah, selling tax credits, what an entrepreneur!

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:19 am

As for automation, it's going to be a slow, gradual process. Those of you that follow the Jobs thread know my employer is slowly circling down the drain - my staff has been cut by 60% over the last couple of years with no hope to add full-time positions anytime soon. I bought a self-checkout kiosk system, so students and faculty can check items out without library staff sitting out at the circulation desk all day. I would think you'll start seeing much more of this type of thing. Our new Dunkin' franchise in town has self-ordering kiosks to do the same thing; our McDonald's has had them for years.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 am

I went to a Sheetz yesterday that stuck the self-checkout kiosks right where the cash registers used to be. Subtle. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:22 am

To be fair, this is the future that we all asked for long ago. I'm certainly not against automation picking up the pace.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:33 am

Amazon piss bottles etc. trying to now create company towns and stores. History repeating so yes.

Further, in general, automation was supposed to make it so people didn’t have to slave away at jobs. I don’t think people are angry that others are rich but more so that those people are free to pursue **** that actually makes them happy (like going to space). Where as many working people today are burnt out and stuck in a cycle of work/ear/sleep/repeat with little time for more fulfilling things or being too exhausted to pursue those things… obviously getting a bit off topic but the 40 hour work week should have been gone long ago.
All right...so there's no case. You're upset at American work culture, not Musk, Gates, or Bezos...

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:50 am

All right...so there's no case. You're upset at American work culture, not Musk, Gates, or Bezos...
There are tons of incidences of Amazon (under Bezos' thumb) using their system to see which third party sellers' products were the most successful, then using that info to knock off the products, have cheap copies made in China, and put the third party sellers out of business by selling their knockoffs for less money. That seems pretty exploitative and shady to me but I suppose it's the American way.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:55 am

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:56 am

This is the prototypical fiscal conservative viewpoint. Worship the elite as a goal that you might someday obtain, forgetting all the handouts and assistance they got and how they treat employees on the way up the ladder.