Politics And Current Events

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Yep, just like the infrastructure deal, **** head don ran on it and couldn't get it done. Now that's it's done, you actually have people in the GOP dodinting and whining that their own party voted for it. Politics in this country are **** and I don't see it getting any better
And also GOP representatives who voted against it touting the benefits it will bring their constituents.
That's been fun, too. On the flip side, Sinema commenting on it got her some nice replies, too.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:22 pm

And a lot of this might just be the usual pre-midterm boost for the party that is not in power. But I would be concerned seeing numbers like that if I was a Democratic strategist. When you are beating R's in national party registration by 10 points, but the number of respondents that think the Ds are too far left is 17 points higher than what it is for Rs, that has to be something to monitor.
Personally, I don't think the actions have supported they've moved to far left at the moment, but I think the far left progressives, the AOCs, the squad members, the Bernie's, they are certainly the loudest and stick out the most to the individuals that don't share the same views.

Just like the Gaetz's, Majorie's etc are the loudest and stick out the most to the individuals that don't agree with their stance on the other side.

And I think that is some of what is driving that.
I always chuckle a bit when people equate AOC and Bernie to Gaetz and MTG. AOC and Bernie are taking legitimate action to try to pull the party in a direction of their ideology (mostly helping the poor and taxing the rich). I'm not even sure what Gaetz and MTG stand for other that pwning the libs. They're not New Gingrich (who might I add was far more successful that AOC and/or Bernie in pulling a party in a particular direction)... he actually did substantial work to pull his party toward pillars of his ideals. As much as I might disagree with him and his policies, he was effective.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:11 pm

[quote=Faftorial post_id=986053 time=<a href="tel:1637258115">1637258115</a> user_id=743]
I don't think legalizing fentanyl solves anything.
Addicts aren't buying fentanyl though, are they? I was under the assumption it's used to cut heroin because it's cheaper. And since it's also much more powerful, it leads to so many accidental deaths.
[/quote]

If it alleviates dopesick, they are buying it. But yeah, the resolution here is to increase methadone use, not more border security. Fentanyl is so dangerous, it’s never a first resort for anyone.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:13 pm

I always chuckle a bit when people equate AOC and Bernie to Gaetz and MTG. AOC and Bernie are taking legitimate action to try to pull the party in a direction of their ideology (mostly helping the poor and taxing the rich). I'm not even sure what Gaetz and MTG stand for other that pwning the libs. They're not New Gingrich (who might I add was far more successful that AOC and/or Bernie in pulling a party in a particular direction)... he actually did substantial work to pull his party toward pillars of his ideals. As much as I might disagree with him and his policies, he was effective.
You can chuckle all you want. It's kind of proving my point though.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:23 pm

What's your point exactly? I was saying AOC and Bernie =/= Gaetz & MTG, just the other side. I'm not sure you have someone on the left that all they do is yuck it up for the cameras. If your point is that AOC/Bernie are what's pulling the DNC toward the left, yes, I agree. If your point is that it's Gaetz, MTG, Jim Jordan and the rest of the goon squad that are pulling the GOP toward the right, I disagree.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:24 pm

You can chuckle all you want. It's kind of proving my point though.
These exist on different ideological planes though. The democratic tug of war is between centrists like Pelosi and Lamb versus leftists like Bernie and AOC. The GOP battle is more institutionalists versus autocrats. Romney vs Trump. So in actuality, there is very little internal constraints within the GOP. Hence, the acceptance of 1/6 and idiots like Gosar, etc

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:29 pm

And a lot of this might just be the usual pre-midterm boost for the party that is not in power. But I would be concerned seeing numbers like that if I was a Democratic strategist. When you are beating R's in national party registration by 10 points, but the number of respondents that think the Ds are too far left is 17 points higher than what it is for Rs, that has to be something to monitor.
Personally, I don't think the actions have supported they've moved to far left at the moment, but I think the far left progressives, the AOCs, the squad members, the Bernie's, they are certainly the loudest and stick out the most to the individuals that don't share the same views.

Just like the Gaetz's, Majorie's etc are the loudest and stick out the most to the individuals that don't agree with their stance on the other side.

And I think that is some of what is driving that.
I always chuckle a bit when I hear people equate Bernie and AOC's ideology as 'mostly helping the poor and taxing the rich'.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:31 pm

Explain their ideology then… correct the record, sir.

edit: in before communism, Venezuela, and Marxism...

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:45 pm

The Democrats are moving too far left...
Looks up polling data on MediCare for all: still supported by a majority.
How about gun control: a majority favor tighter legislation
Student Loan forgiveness: still the popular opinion
Legalizing Pot: Whoa is that popular
Abortion: 80% of people think it should be legal in some form

So where exactly is the Democratic Party leaning too far left? Because some members like AOC adopt extreme positions that are still on the same side of an issue as the majority of Americans?

Student Loan debt should be forgiven for everybody! Whoa, that's too far, I only want up to $50k for people making less than $50k; so I'm going to vote for people who want to overturn elections and dismantle government because they think government is the enemy all while sucking in the power from their role as government officials.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:52 pm

These exist on different ideological planes though. The democratic tug of war is between centrists like Pelosi and Lamb versus leftists like Bernie and AOC. The GOP battle is more institutionalists versus autocrats. Romney vs Trump. So in actuality, there is very little internal constraints within the GOP. Hence, the acceptance of 1/6 and idiots like Gosar, etc
This. It doesn't matter that Gaetz is a tool, or that Boebert is an insurrectionist; because the philosophy of the political right in this country is that the government sucks at everything so I don't want it in control or assisting the country in any way. Just let me fend for myself and **** everybody else.

So it doesn't matter whether its Romney and Cheney or Hawley and Cruz, they're all in favor of the government doing less (think Kunu's surfing lessons) either from incompetence or by design.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:54 pm

Yes, and the government should be controlled by our party because the democrats are satanic pedophiles. Haha jk, but seriously, some of them definitely eat babies.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:02 pm

FBI did it. Would also bet they off’d mlk

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:52 pm

I don't think legalizing fentanyl solves anything.
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought it was about people worried about bad actors crossing the border.

Opioids are a whole other beast. Still far too easy to get.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:00 pm

And

Charts of the day: Here’s a partisan history of the culture wars since 2000
https://jabberwocking.com/charts-of-the ... ince-2000/
The Republican view of immigrants has bounced up and down a bit and is now up by maybe five points or so since 2000. The Democratic view has gone up by 35 percentage points.

Among Republicans, the most extreme view on abortion (always illegal) has gone up by about two points since 2000. Among Democrats, the most extreme view (always legal) has gone up by 20 points.

Democratic support for same sex marriage is up 50 points. Republican support is down 39 points (that is, they've moved 39 points away from the conservative position).

Among Republicans, the conservative point of view [on gun laws and gun control] has gone up about 10 points. Among Democrats, the liberal point of view has increased by about 20 points.

The Republican view of taxes has gone down about ten points (probably due to the Bush tax cuts). The Democratic view of taxes has gone up by about 20 points.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:12 pm

Or put more cleanly, the democrats and republicans (and society) used to all share the same positions on these issues, then the democrats moved with social opinion.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Progressives are progressive, film at 11.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:17 pm

Or put more cleanly, the democrats and republicans (and society) used to all share the same positions on these issues, then the democrats moved with social opinion.
That's how I read it. But then I realized that means the Conservatives were...conservative. So I figured that was probably the point. ;)

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:58 pm

Interesting animation - rise of Elon Musk in the ranking of the richest individuals:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur ... 329690112/

One thing to note is that the vertical scale is changing, and so the wealth bars do not show absolute values, but rather relative wealth compared to the currently wealthiest person in the world...

And, in the less than 2 years, all rich people in Top 10 became substantially richer...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:02 pm

All hail the job creators.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:33 pm

All hail the job creators.
They are heroes I tell you.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:48 pm

It’ll trickle down

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:49 pm

The median of social opinion does not favor defunding the police. Democrats do.

The median of social opinion is not down with cancel culture the Great Awokening. Democrats are.

The median of social opinion does not believe that riots, property damage, and screaming at folks in restaurants are acceptable behavior. Democrats marched with the people doing those things.

The median of social opinion does not believe that biological sex is nonsense and should be replaced by socially constructed gender so that women have penises and men have periods. Democrats are bending over backwards to list their pronouns and to cancel those who don't.

I'm not saying that all Dems share those opinions. But an increasing percentage does, and they're most often the loudest and most visible members of the party. That might win votes in Brooklyn or Los Angeles, but it's not going to play in Peoria (or, as we recently learned, Virginia).

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:58 pm

So Virginia is due to that stuff… not the fact that that happens in Virginia pretty much every single time a president is elected?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:02 pm

Should I care that ten rich people get richer...?

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:26 pm

Drones are coming!!!

(about 40 minutes from my house)

https://www.4029tv.com/article/walmart- ... s/38281478