Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:44 am

It’s all about how and who you want to spin it for. If trump was still in office they’d be singing his praises for saving 204 million lives!!! But since he isn’t, “this is Joe Biden’s Murcia…”.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:47 am

Can someone point me to an article showing that this is more, less, or the same as what is/was being seized previously? K. Thnx.
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/drug ... statistics

If you filter just fentanyl, it looks like seizures went from almost 3k lbs in 2019, to 4700lbs in 2020, and is already over 11k in 2021. But I could be reading it wrong.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:47 am

Yep, just like the infrastructure deal, **** head don ran on it and couldn't get it done. Now that's it's done, you actually have people in the GOP dodinting and whining that their own party voted for it. Politics in this country are **** and I don't see it getting any better

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:48 am

It’s all about how and who you want to spin it for. If trump was still in office they’d be singing his praises for saving 204 million lives!!! But since he isn’t, “this is Joe Biden’s Murcia…”.
Absolutely. It's just dumb to use the border patrol actually seizing drugs as the reason to dodint about the "lack of security at the border", which makes zero sense.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:49 am

Yep, just like the infrastructure deal, **** head don ran on it and couldn't get it done. Now that's it's done, you actually have people in the GOP dodinting and whining that their own party voted for it. Politics in this country are **** and I don't see it getting any better

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:52 am

I'm not really buying any of these polls right now. Some interesting nuggets though.

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3827
If a candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives or the U.S. Senate strongly embraces former President Trump and his ideas, roughly 4 in 10 Americans (42 percent), say they would be less likely to vote for that candidate, 29 percent say they would be more likely to vote for that candidate, and 27 percent say it would have no impact.
A slight majority of Americans (52 percent) say the Democratic Party has moved too far to the left, 6 percent say it has moved too far to the right, and 34 percent say it hasn't moved too far in either direction.

A plurality (43 percent) say the Republican Party hasn't moved too far in either direction, 35 percent say it has moved too far to the right, and 13 percent say it has moved too far to the left.
Americans give President Biden a negative 36 - 53 percent job approval rating, while 10 percent did not offer an opinion. It's the lowest job approval rating he's received in a Quinnipiac University national poll. In mid-October, he received a negative 37 - 52 percent job approval rating.

In today's results, Republicans disapprove 94 - 4 percent, Democrats approve 87 - 7 percent, and independents disapprove 56 - 29 percent with 16 percent not offering an opinion.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:56 am

Hey oOoOO (hope that gaetz guy falls in a sink hole and gets eaten by an alligator today)

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:04 pm

I'm not really buying any of these polls right now. Some interesting nuggets though.

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3827
A slight majority of Americans (52 percent) say the Democratic Party has moved too far to the left, 6 percent say it has moved too far to the right, and 34 percent say it hasn't moved too far in either direction.
I would love to know what the dems have done that has been too far left.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:09 pm

Because I'd assume most of those 52% were Republicans.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:13 pm

And also GOP representatives who voted against it touting the benefits it will bring their constituents.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:13 pm

I disapprove of Biden at the moment. Not for what he’s done, but what he hasn’t done. But then again, he was largely elected as a do nothing reset president.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Absolutely. It's just dumb to use the border patrol actually seizing drugs as the reason to dodint about the "lack of security at the border", which makes zero sense.
Like I say, the one place you almost never really hear anyone complaining about border security is the actual border. It's usually folks in Chucklef**k, NE dodinting about jerbs (they won't do).

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:18 pm

Because I'd assume most of those 52% were Republicans.
Most? You are probably correct. That said, only 35% think the Republicans have moved too far right (42% or something say it hasn't moved much).

You can certainly disagree with the sentiment, but the last I checked nationally, there were about 10 million more registered Dems than registered Rs.
I know the death of the Republican Party (or its lurch right) has been a frequent topic of conversation in here, but at least according to this poll, it's the Democratic Party that is perceived as moving too far to the extreme in recent years. 52% is a large number, given the fact that registered R's make up only about 30% of the electorate.

Not stating that either is right or wrong, but was definitely surprised to see it.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:26 pm

And a lot of this might just be the usual pre-midterm boost for the party that is not in power. But I would be concerned seeing numbers like that if I was a Democratic strategist. When you are beating R's in national party registration by 10 points, but the number of respondents that think the Ds are too far left is 17 points higher than what it is for Rs, that has to be something to monitor.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 pm

I don’t need a poll to know democrats are far left extremists.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 pm

Unless you somehow think that this seizure was 100% of the fentanyl coming into the country in October...or you somehow think that with reduced security/resources/focus border patrol somehow managed to seize a higher percentage of the fentanyl coming across the border... you'd very well understand the message the tweet is conveying regarding the need for more security.

The seizure is more indicative of the increased amount of fentanyl coming over, and the need for increased security measures to catch more of it. Kudos to them for getting that much, but how much more is getting through? That's the point of Ronna's (wtf is a Ronna?) tweet, but you and others likely already knew that.
They've reduced security at the official border crossings? Isn't that how the majority of drugs are brought in from Mexico?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:36 pm

Technology… not man power. If you want a more secure border, that’s how you get it.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:52 pm

Assumptions:
-more fentanyl deaths are happening
-more drugs are being attempted to get in
-more drugs are being seized
-more drugs are getting in
-better security might help drive all 4 of those down
-clowns like ronna using only one of those metrics absent context to try and make a point is an embarrassment
-swalwell thinking he delivered a major gotcha with a tweet like that is an embarrassment

In conclusion, **** everything.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:53 pm

Technology… not man power. If you want a more secure border, that’s how you get it.
Also, you want to slow the “bad hombres” coming over? Legalize or decriminalize drugs. Almost everyone would rather get it legally. You ruin their market in the USA and they have to shift their focus elsewhere. Further, the majority of major gangs are in the drug trade. You crush their market as well.

So most likely you slow the influx of criminals/felons due to minor drug charges. (For profit prisons won’t line that though) You force the cartels to focus elsewhere to keep their profits, and gangs no longer have their typical number one source of income and existing.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:55 pm

I don't think legalizing fentanyl solves anything.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Has the conservative stance on drug abuse deviated from “just say no”?

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:57 pm

And a lot of this might just be the usual pre-midterm boost for the party that is not in power. But I would be concerned seeing numbers like that if I was a Democratic strategist. When you are beating R's in national party registration by 10 points, but the number of respondents that think the Ds are too far left is 17 points higher than what it is for Rs, that has to be something to monitor.
Personally, I don't think the actions have supported they've moved to far left at the moment, but I think the far left progressives, the AOCs, the squad members, the Bernie's, they are certainly the loudest and stick out the most to the individuals that don't share the same views.

Just like the Gaetz's, Majorie's etc are the loudest and stick out the most to the individuals that don't agree with their stance on the other side.

And I think that is some of what is driving that.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:59 pm

Can someone point me to an article showing that this is more, less, or the same as what is/was being seized previously? K. Thnx.
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/drug ... statistics

If you filter just fentanyl, it looks like seizures went from almost 3k lbs in 2019, to 4700lbs in 2020, and is already over 11k in 2021. But I could be reading it wrong.
So are we doing a good job, or a bad job? Because those stats are off the fiscal calendar starting in October.
So the top 5 months are:
10/2020 1212 Trump
12/2020 1193 Trump
8/2021 1133 Biden
6/2021 1056 Biden
10/2021 1044 Biden

Ronna's stat makes it look like last month was the 'largest trafficking month ever!', when it's actually down compared to this time last year (as was September but that's where the trend ends).

Of course we need border security, but how badly do we need more is the question and I'm not sure that data makes the case for either.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:00 pm

Agree. And like PB said, gangs and others will just focus elsewhere, it's just shifting the issue.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:01 pm

Addicts aren't buying fentanyl though, are they? I was under the assumption it's used to cut heroin because it's cheaper. And since it's also much more powerful, it leads to so many accidental deaths.