Politics And Current Events

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:07 am

it's kind of weird. yesterday in my ios news feed, there was a story with a title about the witness - the one who Kyle shot but survived - and how he "feared for his life". Of course the title didn't mention how the guy had a pistol drawn and was pointing it at Kyle (I didn't want to waste my time by reading the story)

the media is frustrating. obviously trying to push some agenda (Fox News is guilty of this too on the other side)

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:11 am

Most of the talk has been about the media portrayal.
Which actually I agree with Shad. The Media has very much been against Kyle the entire time, or slanted away from Kyle.
I suppose, but calling a spade a spade isn't a media bias thing. It just is what it is. He's clearly not a good person. But as dodint already said, law and morality aren't necessarily linked.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:12 am

NYT has a good breakdown of the charges he's on trial for at the moment:

COUNT 1
First-degree reckless homicide

Under Wisconsin law, this crime is defined as recklessly causing the death of another human being under circumstances that show utter disregard for human life. It is not necessary for prosecutors to prove intent to kill. (Charges that are generally known as murder counts in other states are called homicides under Wisconsin law.)

Mr. Rittenhouse is accused of this crime in connection with the fatal shooting of Joseph D. Rosenbaum. It is a Class B felony carrying a basic sentence of up to 60 years in prison.

COUNTS 2 AND 5
First-degree recklessly endangering safety

The law defines this crime as recklessly endangering another person’s safety under circumstances that show utter disregard for human life.

Mr. Rittenhouse is charged with recklessly endangering two people who, according to the criminal complaint, had shots fired toward them but were not hit: Richard McGinnis and an unknown male seen in video of the episode.

The crime is a class F felony that carries a basic sentence of up to 12 and a half years in prison, a fine of up to $25,000, or both, for each of the two counts.

COUNT 3
First-degree intentional homicide

The crime, analogous to first-degree murder in other states, is defined as causing the death of another human being with intent to kill that person or someone else, without the presence of certain mitigating circumstances specified in the law.

Mr. Rittenhouse faces this charge in connection with the fatal shooting of Anthony M. Huber. It is a Class A felony that carries a basic sentence of life in prison.

COUNT 4
Attempted first-degree intentional homicide

Attempting to commit first-degree intentional homicide is a Class B felony under Wisconsin law.

Mr. Rittenhouse faces this charge in connection with the shooting of Gaige P. Grosskreutz, who was struck and wounded. It carries a basic sentence of up to 60 years in prison.

COUNT 6
Possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18

Though Wisconsin is an “open-carry” state where it is legal for adults to carry firearms openly, state law prohibits minors from doing so. Mr. Rittenhouse was 17 at the time of the shooting.

This crime is a Class A misdemeanor that carries a basic sentence of up to nine months in prison, a fine of up to $10,000, or both.

AGGRAVATING FACTOR
Use of a dangerous weapon

A provision of Wisconsin law extends the maximum sentence for crimes committed while possessing, using or threatening to use a dangerous weapon. The criminal complaint invokes this provision for all five felony counts; in each case, it could add up to five years to the prison sentence for that count, if Mr. Rittenhouse is convicted.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/us/k ... arges.html

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:36 am

it's kind of weird. yesterday in my ios news feed, there was a story with a title about the witness - the one who Kyle shot but survived - and how he "feared for his life". Of course the title didn't mention how the guy had a pistol drawn and was pointing it at Kyle (I didn't want to waste my time by reading the story)

the media is frustrating. obviously trying to push some agenda (Fox News is guilty of this too on the other side)
I feared my life because Rittenhouse had an AR-15 draped around him, so I pulled out my handgun to show him I too was armed and he shot me like I was afraid he was going to do.

This is the natural outcome of "everybody should be armed for their self defense."

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:45 am

I feared my life because Rittenhouse had an AR-15 draped around him, so I pulled out my handgun to show him I too was armed and he shot me like I was afraid he was going to do.

This is the natural outcome of "everybody should be armed for their self defense."
:thumb:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:47 am

Had KR already shot someone at this point?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:53 pm

In fact, nearly all practice based providers have started wearing scrubs since the pandemic started.
I had 2 televisits with my PCP during lockdown,and he was wearing a lab coat over scrubs. I was like "Geez, I get it, you're a doctor."

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:18 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:46 pm

what's the context of the bottom image?

definitely felt like crocodile tears on the stand

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:48 pm

'Free As ****' shirt? I guess they're just showing him living it up after all that happened.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:52 pm

That's just a photo of him after the shooting wearing a "Free as ****" shirt and flashing the white power sign.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:53 pm

Hol' up.... that's not the white power sign. That's the okay sign. We've been through this before. Things can not have multiple meanings based on the time and situation in which they're presented. Stop being so ANTIFA bro.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Oh my bad. That's the "a-okay" sign. Idiot racists definitely wouldn't fall for a 4-chan troll.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:54 pm

The law is whatever the law is... I'm not cheering for him to be locked up, I'm not cheering for him to be found innocent either.

In the court of common sense, he found it to be his responsibility to travel that far with his gun to defend property that wasn't his and do a job that no one asked him to do. He's clearly a whackadoodle of a human being, and not someone that I would ever want to hang out with. He's responsible for the death of the people he shot. Self defense or not, he's responsible.

Of course, I'd likely say the same had the dude that was on the stand yesterday shot and killed him, and HE was the one on trial. What are you doing taking a gun to a peaceful protest? What were you doing there in the first place?

I guess, in general, I don't like these people. Any of them. But whatever the courts want to do with them, go for it.
I share this position, I only extend out a bit on the whole gun culture thing.

He's going to be celebrated for what he did, I think that's grotesque, and I think that's the product of our lunatic gun enthusiast culture. The whole nonsense espoused by gun culture people about how everyone is just ignorant of guns and hate our hobby or whatever. Clearly those folks are little Kyle supporters, and are too ignorant to understand how their hobby gets people killed.
This is where I see a parallel with Zimmerman. He wilfully injected himself, armed, into a situation that by his own evaluation was dangerous and was looking for an excuse to pew pew soneone. He had a hero complex, and should in no way be regarded as a 'responsible' gun owner, and the law should not offer shelter to that manner of corrupt decision tree navigation.

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:08 pm

^^^ I agree with tif. Dude took a gun across state lines to put himself into the situation. He was looking for trouble and found it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:17 pm

Technically, his Mommy drove him

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 pm

Speaking of his parents... wtf must have been that upbringing?

"Hey mom... dad... there's riots going on. Can you drive me there so I can protect other people's property?"
"Yeah... sure, son. Anything else?"
"Yeah, I was wondering if you'd take me to a bar to hang out with the proud boys?"
"You got it son, we're so proud of you."

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:21 pm

You go shoot us some antifa scum and don't come back without a notch in your belt or teardrop tattoo on your face.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:21 pm

^^^ I agree with tif. Dude took a gun across state lines to put himself into the situation. He was looking for trouble and found it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I didn't learn about this until yesterday but he didn't bring the gun across state lines. His friend gave it to him in Wisconsin

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:31 pm

Some say the friend was Hannah Gutierrez-Reed.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:34 pm

Callback, heyoooooo

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:59 pm

I didn't learn about this until yesterday but he didn't bring the gun across state lines. His friend gave it to him in Wisconsin
According to an interview he gave from jail, he used his first COVID unemployment stimulus check to have his friend buy it for him. Which I don't know if the friend is facing any charges, but that sounds like what was effectively a straw purchase.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:02 pm

The friend is facing charges for that transfer, yes.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:29 pm

So at what point, if ever, does the situation you put yourself in play a factor in a self-defense claim?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:32 pm

Very broadly, you can't instigate conflict and then claim self-defense without an intervening deescalation.