Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:03 pm

Don’t blame the actor for following the protocol that the actors have always followed.
"It's always been done that way" is a terrible argument in any circumstance especially when "that way" is wrong.
There are regulations in place to prevent accidents like this. And they're incredibly rare so the regulations work. There will likely be more regulations as a result of this accident. The problem isn't "it's always been done that way." The problem with this set was they didn't follow the regulations that are put in place. The blame for the accident should be squarely on the armorer, prop master, and AD. Because that's the part of the process that failed. Now, if you want to go further and look at why those people were hired or why the union camera crew walked off set due to unsafe conditions, then you also put the blame on the producers and the director.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:15 pm

Don’t blame the actor for following the protocol that the actors have always followed.
I'll address two of your posts here.

"It's always been done that way" is a terrible argument in any circumstance especially when "that way" is wrong.

You don't need to "regulate" prop guns. You just need to practice common **** sense. Clear the gun before handling it. If someone who doesn't know how to do that is handling it, you give them a 5 minute training session. If that happens, nobody dies.
Especially in regards to the "It's always been done that way." Well no it really hasn't given that person on set had multiple complaints, and apparently the incorrect credentials...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:16 pm

People are also carrying water for Baldwin.

"Prop gun"
"Just an actor"
"He must feel horrible."

As I said initially, we're working our way towards him being the victim.
I would consider him to be a victim, not the victim.

I doubt Baldwin acted with intent in this. He was negligent, yes, but he didn't know/intend that he was going to shoot and kill someone. I do feel sympathetic for him as this **** isn't as black and white as we want to make it. Many people **** up and now lives are ruined. it's a sad scenario
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:18 pm

There are regulations in place to prevent accidents like this. And they're incredibly rare so the regulations work. There will likely be more regulations as a result of this accident. The problem isn't "it's always been done that way." The problem with this set was they didn't follow the regulations that are put in place. The blame for the accident should be squarely on the armorer, prop master, and AD. Because that's the part of the process that failed. Now, if you want to go further and look at why those people were hired or why the union camera crew walked off set due to unsafe conditions, then you also put the blame on the producers and the director.
This. It's just crazy, imo, to believe that untrained actors should be checking weapons handed to them by trained professionals, especially when things like blanks are being used. Having actors handle guns any more than necessary is an awful idea. It is in no way safer and would only lead to more accidents.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:24 pm

People are also carrying water for Baldwin.

"Prop gun"
"Just an actor"
"He must feel horrible."

As I said initially, we're working our way towards him being the victim.
It's called a prop gun. Even when using a real gun, it is called a prop gun.

We're arguing his role in this as the "trigger-puller." In that case, his role was as the actor on set. It is not and has never been the actor's responsibility to clear a gun. That's the prop master/armorer/AD. The actor was told it was clear.

Again, **** Alec Baldwin. He's an annoying blowhard and as an SNL fan, I hated his stunt casting as Trump. Give the cast members that role damnit. But this debate is happening because of how outspoken he is on gun control, not due to the actual accident. Fault him as a producer for hiring those idiots and allowing an unsafe set.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:31 pm

why the **** were there live rounds on set at all? is that typical?

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:32 pm

why the **** were there live rounds on set at all? is that typical?
Absolutely **** not. Somebody (the armorer) **** up big time. There's no reason for a live round to be anywhere near a set.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:37 pm

Calling it a 'prop gun' is just using language to cloak that fact that someone took a loaded functioning firearm and fired it at a person.

Paul Walker died in a Prop Porsche while doing promotional charity work, I guess.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:38 pm

why didn't they go the Sopranos route and use a hilariously fake looking gun?

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Calling it a 'prop gun' is just using language to cloak that fact that someone took a loaded functioning firearm and fired it at a person.

Paul Walker died in a Prop Porsche while doing promotional charity work, I guess.
:lol: It's literally just the nomenclature of a gun on a film set. Nobody is trying to cloak anything. That's actually the name.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Live ammo should never within miles of a hot set.

What apparently happened was this particular handgun was the personal property of some random dude who was loaning it to the production. And instead of retaining custodial control of the piece throughout production, the armorer returned it the owner every day after use on set. And owner guy took it out for target shooting between filming days, and when it was delivered back to the film company the owner hadn't unloaded it. And then no one in the safety chain on set ever cleared it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Source of the post why didn't they go the Sopranos route and use a hilariously fake looking gun?
I'd like to see films use 100% replica guns. There's no reason to have a functioning gun even with blanks on set. Get those cap wheels if actors need to hear the bang.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Live ammo should never within miles of a hot set.

What apparently happened was this particular handgun was the personal property of some random dude who was loaning it to the production. And instead of retaining custodial control of the piece throughout production, the armorer returned it the owner every day after use on set. And owner guy took it out for target shooting between filming days, and when it was delivered back to the film company the owner hadn't unloaded it. And then no one in the safety chain on set ever cleared it.
:face: Holy ****. This armorer needs criminal charges.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:44 pm

And I'm super duper unclear how Paul Walker has any conceivable relevance here.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:55 pm

This whole Baldwin discussion is weird. There are a dozen or more people that have some fault here, with Baldwin shouldering the most of any individual. You know. Because he **** killed someone.
It's people who only have an appetite for delicious irony if it negatively impacts people they already don't like.

Go online and support Trump and say Covid isn't real, then die from Covid? Nom, nom, nom....deeeeelicious. more please!

Spend your days opining about gun control and touting the dangers of the gun epidemic in this country, then kill someone with a real gun (stop referring to it as a prop gun) while playing make-believe for a sh*t ton of money? What a tragedy...it didn't have to happen. Can't imagine what he's going through. Not his fault.

I know many disagree, but I don't see the value in relishing in either scenario. It just shows a total lack of empathy. Making fun of, shaming, gleefully cheering on tragedy is just so.....Trump-like to me.
This might be the closest comparison yet, but your drive to normalize and rationalize people killing themselves with stupidity by COVID is super strange at this point.
Yikes. So me not gleefully celebrating the death of a person, and commenting that I think it's kinda icky that people engage in that kind of piling on, is a drive to normalize and rationalize their circumstance? Holy gaslighting, batman.

Who is doing the normalization and rationalization here? The person who is consistent regarding icky behavior regardless of the circumstances, or the person who justifies icky behavior based on the circumstances?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:13 pm

:lol: It's literally just the nomenclature of a gun on a film set. Nobody is trying to cloak anything. That's actually the name.
It perpetuates the 'real world rules do not apply to the magic of movie making' mindset that pervades this discussion. Which is pretty gross given that there is a real dead woman and a real injured man involved. Moviemaking is possibly the most frivolous activity undertaken by a society, even moreso than college football. It gets absolutely no cover from me in instances like this. (See also: Twilight Zone movie helicopter crash)

Frame it however you want; if you choose to engage in this way that is your choice.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:19 pm

Wat

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:25 pm

Yinz are spending a whole lot of time on something that I feel deserves 10 seconds at most. It's bizarre to me.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:31 pm

It perpetuates the 'real world rules do not apply to the magic of movie making' mindset that pervades this discussion. Which is pretty gross given that there is a real dead woman and a real injured man involved. Moviemaking is possibly the most frivolous activity undertaken by a society, even moreso than college football. It gets absolutely no cover from me in instances like this. (See also: Twilight Zone movie helicopter crash)

Frame it however you want; if you choose to engage in this way that is your choice.
You realize I didn't decide the name right?

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:32 pm

Yeah, this gun and if Baldwin is Hitler is a little much. But to each their own.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:34 pm

Yinz are spending a whole lot of time on something that I feel deserves 10 seconds at most. It's bizarre to me.
I was in a meeting I didn't want to be in. ;)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:35 pm

what else is there to talk about?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:40 pm

One thing we know for sure, this would never happen on a Clint Eastwood set, those guns are plastic.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:43 pm

what else is there to talk about?
Mo Brooks just came out with a statement pretty much saying "I didn't help plan Jan 6th, but my staff might have..."

Record rainfall just hit California easing some droughts and wildfires.

Biden announced a $100 million partnership with ASEAN.

Cleveland clinic just launched a trial for a breast cancer vaccine.

Or, ya know... ANYTHING.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:44 pm

Continuing or series of Profiles of Courage: NIH Edition

Ah yes. Just distracted by the election when withholding ventilators from blue states.

C*nt.