Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:00 pm

Yes or no, do you think Fauci - a public employee - gets paid to do TV hits.
Is this a gotcha attempt? That he doesn’t collect a check from CNN when he makes an appearance? That’s fine. Got me.

How do you suspect his book sales have done, and how do you think they would have done if he risked his job to save more lives last year?

Not to mention being on TV. In the spotlight. That’s also very much the point. Why do you think Birx wore the scarves and licked Trumps balls? Same reason. Brand building for a prosperous, multi-channeled career.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:05 pm

Is this a gotcha attempt? That he doesn’t collect a check from CNN when he makes an appearance? That’s fine. Got me.

How do you suspect his book sales have done, and how do you think they would have done if he risked his job to save more lives last year?

Not to mention being on TV. In the spotlight. That’s also very much the point. Why do you think Birx wore the scarves and licked Trumps balls? Same reason. Brand building for a prosperous, multi-channeled career.
He's 80 so I bet he's concerned about his future media career.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:06 pm

I’m not disagreeing that a new face is probably a good thing, but you’re going full cunthy on this.
He doesn’t believe in his own arguments and exists to bother people. I think you need some more precision here.

My reaction to when someone says the F word is based on the matter of him not defying Trump’s science in a plain way, early on, when he could have made a difference. He made an awful miscalculation that he could just hang around and smile on camera and that would be a net positive compared to taking a career risk to tell the truth to a captive audience about his employer. He wanted to stay in the game for a lot of reasons. Maybe one of them was because he’s naive enough to think half-measured resistance to the propaganda of the guy who signs his checks was enough to save people. It wasn’t. He should have done better. I’m upset because people died. Forgive me.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:07 pm

I'm not sure there's a single soul that dislikes stone cold.

GET THE VACCINE. AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE. BECAUSE STONE. COLD. SAID SO.

we'd have been at 100% months ago
He’d be cancelled immediately, thanks to the whole beating his wife thing.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:07 pm

He's 80 so I bet he's concerned about his future media career.
Your argument in the PDT which involves a 100 year old president and an unlimited amount of octogenarians in Congress is that 80+ year olds are incapable of ambition in this regard.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:48 pm

I think he would’ve sold more books if he “risked his life to save more lives last year.” Anyone indifferent or opposed to him wasn’t buying his book.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:54 pm

I'm not sure there's a single soul that dislikes stone cold.

GET THE VACCINE. AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE. BECAUSE STONE. COLD. SAID SO.

we'd have been at 100% months ago
He’d be cancelled immediately, thanks to the whole beating his wife thing.
Nah the republicans don't believe in cancel culture

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:28 pm

I mean, he didn't get paid for the book and won't receive royalties for sales. So I'm not sure he's tracking sales super close.

'Brand building', my god man, listen to you.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:32 pm

I mean, he didn't get paid for the book and won't receive royalties for sales. So I'm not sure he's tracking sales super close.

Yeah but he's trying to get that Rachael Maddow gig when she stops doing her 9pm show next year.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:35 pm

And more movie set shooting updates: Not only was the armorer involved in a prior safety issue on a different movie, the assistant director was fired from a previous gig following an accidental discharge injured a crew member.

The hell is going on here..........

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:03 pm

I'm shocked those people would be hired again after the first time.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:28 pm

And more movie set shooting updates: Not only was the armorer involved in a prior safety issue on a different movie, the assistant director was fired from a previous gig following an accidental discharge injured a crew member.

My Q family member just posted on Facebook that Hutchins was “murdered” because she was working on a doc about a pedophilia ring in Hollywood. Oh and her husband is connected to the Clintons. JFC. Oh and of course it’s already been debunked, quickly and easily, by Hutchins agent.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:36 pm

I think you have a high degree of naivety about what motivates people.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:14 pm

I think you have a high degree of naivety about what motivates people.

I think you have a fanciful imagination.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:15 pm

That said, I don't have a problem having someone else be the face of public health.

I'm not sure that it will make a difference but have at it.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:18 pm

A long series of negligent acts, although IMO the buck still stops with Baldwin as the trigger-puller. As some details have come out, we've learned:

1. The "armorer" appears to have been an incompetent idiot. She wasn't checking the guns, and there was live ammo on the set. The gun in question was also being used by crew members with live ammo for target practice. (This raises an aside. The media has been referring to the gun in question as a "prop gun." Most guns used as props are real, functional guns. Hollywood prop companies are some of the largest gun owners in the country, including for full-auto machine guns. That's why California hasn't yet completely banned private ownership of full-auto guns; the movie companies own hundreds of them. This was a real, functional gun.)

2. The armorer didn't verify that the guns were unloaded, which is literally the most important aspect of her job. The assistant director who handed the gun to Baldwin didn't check it either. Neither did Baldwin. Negligence and stupidity abounded on that set.

3. Baldwin was "practicing draws" and pointing the gun toward the camera. In doing so, he was obviously pointing a gun at human beings, which was a fundamental safety violation.

4. The media keep saying that the gun "misfired" or "went off" or some other passive-voice description that avoids all agency. Bullcrap. Baldwin cocked the gun and pulled the trigger while said gun was pointed at another human being. This movie is a period piece set in the 1880s, and reports are that the gun in question was a revolver (which is a "no duh" report given that the first semi-auto handguns didn't really come along until the 1890s). There is about a 98% chance that the gun in question is a Colt Single Action Army, a/k/a the Model 1873 or Peacemaker.* The SAA is a single-action gun that requires that the hammer be manually cocked before each shot. While there is a slight chance that an SAA can fire if a loaded chamber is under the hammer, the gun is dropped, and the gun lands on the back of the hammer, there are no reports that Baldwin dropped the gun.** Other than that, SAAs don't just "go off" or "misfire." The only way that gun fired without being dropped is if Baldwin cocked the gun and then pulled the trigger.

There's a well-known model used in risk analysis and accident causation called the Swiss Cheese Model. Typically, there are layers of safety policies and practices designed to prevent accidents. Consider each layer a single slice in a stack of cheese slices. Any weaknesses or safety lapses in a layer is a hole. The system leads to accidents when a hole in each slice momentarily aligns, and the more holes you have, the greater the chance of an "all the way though" alignment. Here, it looks like the layers were more holes than cheese.

* I figure maybe a 2% chance that it was something else, like a S&W Model 3 Schofield or a Remington Model 1875, but those guns operate the same as the SAA, so it doesn't change the analysis.

** This is why, even though the SAA has six chambers, holds six rounds, and is commonly called a "six-shooter," in practice they were carried with only five rounds chambered and the hammer down on the empty chamber. The only time it's ever even remotely acceptable to load six rounds into an SAA is if you're at the range and will be immediately firing all six shots before putting the gun back down. More modern revolvers use hammer-block or transfer-bar mechanisms and can be safety carried with all chambers loaded.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:21 pm

:roll:

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:26 pm

It’s almost like they were making a movie.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:33 pm

Yes. Making a movie.

Where getting shot with real bullets will really kill you.

Why take precautions that are expected literally everywhere else? That's dumb, we're making a low budget Baldwin movie here, cut us some slack.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:36 pm

They didn’t take the necessary precautions and im for even more precautions being regulated. But blaming the actor after he was handed a prop from the AD (weird yes but the AD is also a safety supervisor and “last line of defense”) AND told that the gun was “cold” is so stupid and only being done because it’s Baldwin. And I really dislike Baldwin.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:38 pm

As an aside, I own two of these revolvers. I have never owned ammo for them. I keep them in a safe. I still clear them before handling them. It takes a moment and it is cheap insurance.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:44 pm

They didn’t take the necessary precautions and im for even more precautions being regulated. But blaming the actor after he was handed a prop from the AD (weird yes but the AD is also a safety supervisor and “last line of defense”) AND told that the gun was “cold” is so stupid and only being done because it’s Baldwin. And I really dislike Baldwin.
He isn't just an actor in this case. He was a producer and backer of the project. He helped cultivate this really sloppy culture. He should be accountable. The fact that he is a sanctimonious blowhard about guns but also doesn't respect them to this end result is not something that should be glossed over.
It's like busting an Evangelical TV preacher who knocked up his secretary and made her get an abortion. Ridicule them out of business.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:46 pm

Then again, he is part of a broader culture that idolizes and shields Polanski so perhaps they can not be shamed.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:48 pm

:roll:

So you just gave up the true beef here. It's with Alec Baldwin.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 pm

But the blame isn’t being put on him for hiring inexperienced people or creating an unsafe set. It’s on him because he’s the “trigger-puller” which is dumb. Charlton **** Heston would’ve pulled that trigger after the AD yelled cold gun.