Politics And Current Events

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:22 am

The republicans will be putting in a bill for 1/6 to be a holiday any day now

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:23 am

Gonna be hard for them to do that since they erased 1/6 from their calendars.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:24 am

Here I thought numbers knew no race
Are you completely unaware of the racial biases that are present in standardized math exams? I understand that teaching racial justice in math class is maybe a bridge too far for many, but there are issues in nearly every school subject that are racially tone deaf or bias in a way that POC don’t understand it as easily as white america.
Such as?

Maybe in word problems you can use different names or attempt to make references to traditionally non- white things? That's about the best I can come up with
You’re off to a good start… keep goin.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:46 am

With the new holiday, do we get another day off?
Only if you're vaccinated.
Aw, yiss.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:39 am

Here are some sample lesson plans for social justice math for schools in Canada:
Chain Game: A simulation of the global economy
This lively simulation raises awareness to inequities in systems of global wealth and resource development. Students sell a product on the “global market,” but resources are inequitable. This activity can be a starting place for many areas of math.

Historical figures in one minute
Using data management, students begin an inquiry into systemic inequality. Students brainstorm a list of famous people – dead or alive. This may include mathematicians, actors, scientists, athletes, artists, etc. The data generated is then analyzed to reveal issues of power, racial and gender inequality.

Exploring accessibility issues with mathematics
This kindergarten lesson provides an outline for introducing accessibility, fairness, barrier-free spaces and inclusion to students in a developmentally appropriate way. Students demonstrate mathematical behaviors associated with measurement, data management, probability, geometry and spatial sense.

Access to clean water: Integrating math, science and social justice
This lesson integrates mathematics, environmental science, geography, Indigenous rights, language arts and social justice issues for junior/intermediate grades. Students explore their relationship with water and discover many Canadian Indigenous communities have limited access to the natural resource.

Budgeting and food inequity within Canada
Students become aware of food inequity as they explore the cost of food while on a set budget and use maps to explore issues of access to stores. They read, interpret and draw conclusions from primary and secondary data found in charts, tables and graphs.
I don’t really know what the third one means, but there is nothing wrong with the others. It is integrating math skills with other lessons. For example, how to read a graph in referencing food. If the data is real, there’s no problem it. They are cross-curricular activities.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:46 am

Brexit is going to look worse and stupider as time passes

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:52 am

This is a document of points that the Seattle public school system wanted their math instruction to cover. Students will learn, among others, "how math has been and continues to be used to oppress and marginalize people and communities of color; "identify the inherent inequities of the standardized testing system used to oppress and marginalize people and communities of color"; "explain how math has
been used to exploit natural resources"; "and "explain how math dictates economic oppression."

Questions for students to study include "How important is it to be Right? What is Right? Says Who?"; "How can we change mathematics from individualistic to collectivist thinking?"; and "How can we reframe our views of people/communities of color in mathematics?"

https://www.k12.wa.us/sites/default/fil ... mework.pdf
This was developed to close the achievement gap. I don’t agree with some of it, but don’t find much of it to be egregious. The stuff about being “right” has to do with there being more than one way to arrive at a correct answer, not that 1+1 has more than one answer. Things that deal with oppression in math should be high school level if they are taught.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:02 am

Are you completely unaware of the racial biases that are present in standardized math exams? I understand that teaching racial justice in math class is maybe a bridge too far for many, but there are issues in nearly every school subject that are racially tone deaf or bias in a way that POC don’t understand it as easily as white america.
Such as?

Maybe in word problems you can use different names or attempt to make references to traditionally non- white things? That's about the best I can come up with
It’s all about what prior knowledge a student needs to answer the question. If a math question requires you to do the Pythagorean theorem to solve it, you shouldn’t need to know that a jib is a sail in the form of a right triangle. Obviously a bad example I made up, but that’s the general idea.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:11 am

Such as?

You’re off to a good start… keep goin.
That's all I got.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:17 am

I’m ok with calling anyone who opposes this to be racist
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 722634002/

Some of the rationale was "we have enough holidays..." blah. Or they didn't like the name, which, meh. Okay. Whatever. But this guy right here... he's my kind of guy:
Republican Montana Rep. Matt Rosendale released a statement on his vote against S.B. 475.

“Let’s call an ace an ace. This is an effort by the Left to create a day out of whole cloth to celebrate identity politics as part of its larger efforts to make Critical Race Theory the reigning ideology of our country. Since I believe in treating everyone equally, regardless of race, and that we should be focused on what unites us rather than our differences, I will vote no,” Rosendale said.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:34 am

He seems like the kind of guy that would ask "Why don't we get a white history month?"

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:35 am

Or a "I don't hate blacks and mexicans because of their skin, I think they're lazy and ungrateful" kind of guy.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:38 am

lol what in the **** does celebrating the end of slavery have to do with critical race theory

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:41 am

also I admit that I don't think the name is ideal: "Juneteenth National Independence Day". Should be freedom or emancipation day. It's not really an independence day

but no one is going to call it "Independence Day". It's going to be "Juneteenth"

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:45 am

I'll never understand why some white people are so afraid of giving POC literally anything. One day in June will not upset your power dynamic. It'll be okay.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:46 am

it's not like white people can't celebrate the day either. ending slavery was, you know, a good thing for the country too

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am

I'll never understand why some white people are so afraid of giving POC literally anything. One day in June will not upset your power dynamic. It'll be okay.
"Dude, they already got MLK day."

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:52 am

I hope the daughters of all of these guys marry a POC.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:53 am

it's not like white people can't celebrate the day either. ending slavery was, you know, a good thing for the country too
actually I take that back. I'm sure some of these people, in their heart of hearts, wish slavery was still a thing

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:54 am

100%
It's a day the country got closer to the ideals we claim it was founded on. It's a day for the country to celebrate doing the right thing.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:05 am

100%
It's a day the country got closer to the ideals we claim it was founded on. It's a day for the country to celebrate doing the right thing.
"How can we get closer when you keep taking down our statues and hating the stars and bars!"

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:23 am

I always crack up at the line where he goes, "They'll take your show, they'll fix you too..."

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:24 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:25 am

I guess they will have to storm the Supreme Court next.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:28 am

I guess they will have to storm the Supreme Court next.
Too many steps for them to consider that move.