Politics And Current Events

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:04 pm

I think there is definitely a ceiling for how much of an impact
A good schooling can have. But a deeper floor for the negative impacts of bad schooling.
The ceiling or the floor can both be quite substantial, depending on all sorts of factors. The vast majority of kids get out of it what they’re supposed to.
I’d say the teachers and not the schooling make the biggest impact. I still have vivid memories of my 4th, 6th, 8th grade teachers and various ones I had all the way through high-school. Not because they taught me math or English but because they were good people and treated their teaching in a manner that not only helped you learn the subject matter but also grow as a young person that was trying to figure things out.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:06 pm

However, while the Holocaust Museum is a tough walkthrough, nothing compares to being at the site of a camp. You can literally feel the air is different there.
I can believe that. They have a replica cattle car at the museum in DC that you kind of have to walk through to get to the exhibits, and a replica 'ARBEIT MACHT FREI' sign, and it was stomach turning just experiencing those things. Replicas.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:10 pm

A good schooling can have. But a deeper floor for the negative impacts of bad schooling.
The ceiling or the floor can both be quite substantial, depending on all sorts of factors. The vast majority of kids get out of it what they’re supposed to.
I’d say the teachers and not the schooling make the biggest impact. I still have vivid memories of my 4th, 6th, 8th grade teachers and various ones I had all the way through high-school. Not because they taught me math or English but because they were good people and treated their teaching in a manner that not only helped you learn the subject matter but also grow as a young person that was trying to figure things out.
I have great memories of my English teacher sophomore and senior years, because he was amazing in an "Oh captain, my captain!" kind of way. And I have great memories of my German teacher and her intern, and my junior year English teacher, because they were........ well, they were memorable in more of a Brazzers kind of way.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:11 pm

This. I don't remember where I was sitting in class when I learned about, well practically anything. But I do remember having conversations with teachers who treated me as a person rather than a name to check off each quarter.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:15 pm

:thumb:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:29 pm

Good teachers are good. Agreed. Especially for good/normal students.

Students that come from homes with the mindset of education isn't important, I'm wasting my time here, this is all non-sense... well, many good teachers aren't good any more. They're trying to force them to do something they don't want to do. Even great teachers have trouble reaching these kind of kids. And the kids are mostly that way due to parenting.

It's not an either/or. It's a combo.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:52 pm

Students that come from homes with the mindset of education isn't important, I'm wasting my time here, this is all non-sense... well, many good teachers aren't good any more. They're trying to force them to do something they don't want to do. Even great teachers have trouble reaching these kind of kids. And the kids are mostly that way due to parenting.

“Good” teacher can mean a lot of different things. It’s up to administers to put teachers in the role that is best for them and the students. Some teachers are great at motivating high fliers and get the best out of them, but are awful with the “bad” kids. Others can reach those who come from troubled homes and help them reach their potential, but would be bad with self-motivated students. The best teachers can connect with all types and vary their approach. The home environment is what it is, and as a teacher you can’t change that.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:53 pm

However, while the Holocaust Museum is a tough walkthrough, nothing compares to being at the site of a camp. You can literally feel the air is different there.
I can believe that. They have a replica cattle car at the museum in DC that you kind of have to walk through to get to the exhibits, and a replica 'ARBEIT MACHT FREI' sign, and it was stomach turning just experiencing those things. Replicas.
I stood in the crematorium at Dachau. There is also a gas chamber in that same building that was never used. However, in the main room with the ovens, there are rafters with notches worn into them where they hanged people.

What bothered me the most was that we saw a short film about the camp and the residents of Dachau were "shocked and appalled at what had happened there as they had no idea."

Yeah, right. People were constantly coming in and nobody was leaving and its also raining ash in your city. You knew.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:56 pm

“Good” teacher can mean a lot of different things. It’s up to administers to put teachers in the role that is best for them and the students. Some teachers are great at motivating high fliers and get the best out of them, but are awful with the “bad” kids. Others can reach those who come from troubled homes and help them reach their potential, but would be bad with self-motivated students. The best teachers can connect with all types and vary their approach. The home environment is what it is, and as a teacher you can’t change that.
I appreciate the optimism, but that kind of teacher is not common. Again, I don't think it's 100% one or the other. It's a combo of some sort. Where you want to place the role of teacher vs. home life on the spectrum is up to you, but to pretend like it's all one or another is a bit too much for me.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:04 pm

I appreciate the optimism, but that kind of teacher is not common. Again, I don't think it's 100% one or the other. It's a combo of some sort. Where you want to place the role of teacher vs. home life on the spectrum is up to you, but to pretend like it's all one or another is a bit too much for me.
Wasn’t trying to portray optimism… that teacher is rare. But they do exist. Also, not sure who is saying it’s one or the other. Parents certainly play the biggest role because they set the path from birth. Most teachers will simply maintain that path. Some will be able to elevate and some will help a kid sink. I think the former is more likely, but who knows.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:07 pm

Was the original discussion not parenting vs. schooling? Or did I misunderstand the discussion?

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:17 pm

I just took it as a question of what impact a teacher can have.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:19 pm

You can make up for poor schooling with good parenting, but it's really, really hard to make up for poor parenting through good schooling.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Yes

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:07 pm

You can make up for poor schooling with good parenting, but it's really, really hard to make up for poor parenting through good schooling.
Yes, aligned.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:06 pm

President Trump Sent Bogus Election Fraud Claims to Top DOJ Officials Minutes Before Announcing Their Promotions to the Top Two Spots in the Department
President Trump Used Official White House Channels and a Private Attorney to Pressure DOJ to Urgently File a Supreme Court Lawsuit to Nullify the Election
President Trump Enlisted Assistant AG Jeffrey Clark in an Attempt to Advance Election Fraud Claims
The White House Chief of Staff Pressured DOJ to Investigate Conspiracy Theories At Least Fives Times

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:09 pm

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:15 pm

But how do we KNOW who the stupid ones are, Shyster once challenged us to.

So long folks. I’ll head out for a while and you can resume civility.
Yeah, this totally checks out. Those counties on the far right are all pretty much the Redwood places north of Wine Country (you know, Endor!), and it's a mix of Gadsden flags and weed farms. When we lived up north these areas were part of Mrs Tif's district, and she said they were 100% the goofiest places she'd ever been. The people are straight up kooky-dukes.

Other states show less of a trend, and the blue = vaccinated is not necessarily universal. For example, Detroit (Wayne County) votes heavily blue, but it's numbers are lower than many of the red counties in Michigan:

I'm thinking the low numbers for Detroit are likely driven by the high rates of vaccine hesitancy in the African-American community.

I don't dispute that Republican areas have much lower vaccination rates. My only observation is that we are seeing proof of the ongoing realignment of the parties. A recent survey from Pitt and CMU* found that vaccine hesitancy correlates strongly to certain job classifications, with those in white-collar, high-education jobs being much more likely to get vaccinated than those in blue-collar, low-education jobs. A study in Alberta, Canada found that vaccination uptake rates are also tied strongly to formal education.** What we are seeing is that the Democratic party is realigning away from its "farmers and union workers" history to become the party of the well-educated, white-collar urbanites, while the Republican party is realigning away from its "wealthy folks and business owners" history to become the party of the lower-educated, blue-collar rurals.

* https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 21255821v2
** https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6063373

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:25 pm

Other states show less of a trend, and the blue = vaccinated is not necessarily universal. For example, Detroit (Wayne County) votes heavily blue, but it's numbers are lower than many of the red counties in Michigan:

I'm thinking the low numbers for Detroit are likely driven by the high rates of vaccine hesitancy in the African-American community.

I don't dispute that Republican areas have much lower vaccination rates. My only observation is that we are seeing proof of the ongoing realignment of the parties. A recent survey from Pitt and CMU found that vaccine hesitancy correlates strongly to certain job classifications, with those in white-collar, high-education jobs being much more likely to get vaccinated than those in blue-collar, low-education jobs. A study in Alberta, Canada found that vaccination uptake rates are also tied strongly to formal education.* What we are seeing is that the Democratic party is realigning away from its "farmers and union workers" history to become the party of the well-educated, white-collar urbanites, while the Republican party is realigning away from its "wealthy folks and business owners" history to become the party of the lower-educated, blue-collar rurals.

* https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6063373
Yeah, I think there's a lot more at play than just 'stupid conservatives won't get the jab."

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:33 pm

Black and brown people don't know how to go online to get in line for the vaccine.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:38 pm

I think the black jeopardy with Tom hanks is a good explainer for that

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:04 pm

@RepMaloney
: "Committee has obtained docs showing that ... Parler sent the FBI evidence of planned violence in DC on January 6. Parlor referred this content to FBI for investigation OVER 50 TIMES" including "specific threats of violence being planned at the Capitol."

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:07 pm

The emails also provide new detail into how Mark Meadows, then White House chief of staff, directed Rosen to have then Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Clark—who reportedly urged Trump to make him acting attorney general instead of Rosen—investigate voter-fraud issues in Georgia before the U.S. attorney there resigned in January. Amid the pressure, Rosen said he refused to speak to Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani about his false claims that the 2020 election was stolen.

When Meadows sought to have Rosen arrange an FBI meeting with a Giuliani ally pushing a conspiracy theory that Italy was using military technology and satellites to somehow change votes to Joe Biden, Rosen said he would not help Giuliani. “I flatly refused, said I would not be giving any special treatment to Giuliani or any of his ‘witnesses,’ and re-affirmed yet again that I will not talk to Giuliani about any of this,” Rosen wrote to Donoghue.
Lol Jesus Christ

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:09 pm

Fake news.

In #BackTheBlue news:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:16 pm

But how do we KNOW who the stupid ones are, Shyster once challenged us to.

So long folks. I’ll head out for a while and you can resume civility.
Yeah, this totally checks out. Those counties on the far right are all pretty much the Redwood places north of Wine Country (you know, Endor!), and it's a mix of Gadsden flags and weed farms. When we lived up north these areas were part of Mrs Tif's district, and she said they were 100% the goofiest places she'd ever been. The people are straight up kooky-dukes.

I don't dispute that Republican areas have much lower vaccination rates. My only observation is that we are seeing proof of the ongoing realignment of the parties. A recent survey from Pitt and CMU* found that vaccine hesitancy correlates strongly to certain job classifications, with those in white-collar, high-education jobs being much more likely to get vaccinated than those in blue-collar, low-education jobs. A study in Alberta, Canada found that vaccination uptake rates are also tied strongly to formal education.** What we are seeing is that the Democratic party is realigning away from its "farmers and union workers" history to become the party of the well-educated, white-collar urbanites, while the Republican party is realigning away from its "wealthy folks and business owners" history to become the party of the lower-educated, blue-collar rurals.

* https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 21255821v2
** https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6063373
That still checks with those NorCal counties. Some of them have 4-figure populations, and almost all of them are well under 100k. They're extremely rural and blue collar.