Politics And Current Events

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:18 pm

I don't think anyone on here doesn't think it was a big deal
Do you have Freddy foed or something?
:roll:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Source of the post What's so difficult about treating trans people like people?
Good luck getting an answer to this one.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:20 pm

I don't think anyone on here doesn't think it was a big deal
Do you have Freddy foed or something?
:roll:
You said as much, no?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:32 pm

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and kindness. No one is really arguing against that. I think it's more about how much we want to adjust our society (sports leagues, renovating bathrooms, the stupid pronoun thing where we refer to an individual as "they/them", etc.) to accommodate such a tiny minority of the population.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Source of the post I think it's more about how much we want to adjust our society (sports leagues, renovating bathrooms, the stupid pronoun thing where we refer to an individual as "they/them", etc.) to accommodate such a tiny minority of the population.
If using the correct pronoun for them is too much to ask, I don't know what to tell you.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:35 pm

How many people who are up in arms about pronouns and bathrooms actually know a trans person in their life? My guess is not too many. Because if they did, they would be a lot more understanding and caring.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:37 pm

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and kindness. No one is really arguing against that. I think it's more about how much we want to adjust our society (sports leagues, renovating bathrooms, the stupid pronoun thing where we refer to an individual as "they/them", etc.) to accommodate such a tiny minority of the population.
It's going to change whether you like it or not. I don't enjoy hearing LETSGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO every 5 seconds while gaming, but people say it now. YOUR society is also theirs, and if you were being **** on all the time, after barely being recognized as people finally, you might want to changes in your favor.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:46 pm

Yet you say that and claim Dawkins is a victim of the "woke inquisition".

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth, here. And none of what you said after the bolded has anything to do with the Dawkins thing, except to serve for you dunking on people who aren't like you.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 pm

I remember reading a story on the switch to calling it marijuana in an attempt to make it sound more mexican and bad, but that's no longer the case. It's one of those things where words and meanings change over time.
been a while since i learned about this, so i might be foggy on some details, but...

"cannabis" was used medicinally forever. sold as an elixir in the US, even. in the early 1900's, the Dupont family wanted hemp replaced by their preferred paper/textile materials and there was also some motivation from government officials to be rainmakers on this to promote their personal brands. Look up Harry Anslinger if you're interested.

so to garner public support for converting a medicine into a crime, they needed to drum up hysteria in the suburbs. enter "marijuana" (which i think was mexican slang at the time?) and stories of dark people having sex with white women, and that's a wrap.

i don't like the term marijuana because it's not accurate. and if i was latino, it would be a kick in the nuts, based on its history.

so yeah, i'd like to see cannabis be the one true term.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:50 pm

The pronouns, whatever. If I'm talking to a transgender person, I'll call them whatever they want to be called. Talking in general terms to groups of people, or whatever, I'm not going to bend over backwards to say "ladies, gentlemen, and (insert whatever)" to ensure I'm inclusive at all times.

But I think there are things that need to be discussed about the bathrooms in certain cases, and definitely in sporting events. From a competitive standpoint, there are differences between men and women. And is just fact.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:50 pm

You're not wrong, the GOP is in shambles. The party of the left was totally fractured not long ago - competing ideologies of the far left and the left of center basically creating inconsistency within its messaging and priorities. The GOP then decided to have a hold my beer moment and amplify the far right's voice while silencing the right of center.
Right... and it seems that the GOP is ok with this and continuing down this path, which leads to some nutty things, like contesting elections that are pretty much no-brainers and then creating laws to fight "stolen elections." The reasonable wing of the GOP should probably be doing more to fight against this sort of stuff, since it's actually putting policy in place, it's not just a loud minority that is just making noise.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:51 pm

More 'family' style bathrooms in public. I've wanted that ever since my daughter was born.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:52 pm

Typical breeders always reaching for more from society.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:53 pm

the pronoun thing is relevant in my life. A coworker of mine, who I work with relatively frequently, recently set their preferred pronouns as "xe/xer/xyrz".

now...it's complicated. this person is not the kind of person to snap at you if you you use the wrong pronoun. Xe also changed their name from Callie to Lando (like from Star Wars) and there were several times where I would mess up the name and never once got an angry message. So I can't imagine if you mess up xer pronouns xe will freak out (of course, as long as you're respectful).

now, I would never intentionally use the incorrect pronoun but I have to admit, I feel like an imbecile even typing this out and saying "xe" over "she" or "they". It feels ridiculous and I don't think I can say it with a straight face. I admit, that's a character flaw on my part and maybe over time it'll get easier but man...it feels like I'm talking about an alien rather than a person

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:54 pm

Shmengy offering a pot take: "I might be foggy."

You don't say.

:wink:

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:54 pm

Yeah, the only thing for me about trans inclusion is sports...that's where you end up kicking yourself in the crotch. It's legitimately abusive to biological women to have folks who were men for X number of years and then go woman for Y number of years and have them participate in women's sports...

Doesn't mean don't participate...hell, make a whole trans olympics for all I care...just like the regular olympics, I won't watch that either because it's so uninteresting...but having a biological man just beating the wheels off of a biological woman in UFC or whatever...that's where you jumped the shark. Figure out another avenue for this, everything else requires zero effort from me or virtually anyone to just be a regular ass person towards another regular ass person...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:54 pm

the bathroom thing is the dumbest conversation ever. predators can spy on little girls in the bathroom right now. there's nothing stopping them. it's not like there's a security guard at bathroom doors checking everyone's genitalia. spying on people in the bathroom is a crime regardless
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:55 pm

Go steal one of those mexican babies at the border and you can use it as well.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:57 pm

"our" society was a misstep here, but i actually agree to an extent.

now...i'll get this out of the way - i'm tired of hearing about sport leagues. it's not just that the accommodation here costs ya' nothing. but also, 99% of people are done with this by the time they reach adulthood. youth sports aren't these protected havens. they exist to teach kids about overcoming obstacles and teamwork. i won't care if a trans boy/girl is in the mix. if they're really good, then it's just another obstacle to overcome as an opponent. but also, this doesn't happen at scale. it's not a problem.

but i think it's odd that countless people are adding she/her to their email signatures even though they'll likely never encounter a trans person over email. i guess it's like wearing a mask outdoors right now. it's not actually helpful. it's just signaling that you're *with it*. and actually, i'm very sympathetic to the argument that we now have too many societal rules. it's not healthy for adults to constantly recalibrate until they die.

but...outside of San Francisco and other insane think tanks of its ilk, i dunno...is there a problem that needs solved?

the summary of that ^ word salad is...most of these complaints aren't an actual problem (like sports), but they do add up and radicalize people to be "anti" whatever.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:58 pm

the bathroom thing is the dumbest conversation ever. predators can spy on little girls in the bathroom right now. there's nothing stopping them. it's not like there's a security guard at bathroom doors checking everyone's genitalia. spying on people in the bathroom is a crime regardless
But if those predators are caught, they can be punished. If someone is using the trans identity as a way to be a predator, and it's protected, then I feel that is an issue.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:59 pm

Go steal one of those mexican babies at the border and you can use it as well.
i don't get it. explain the joke.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:59 pm

But if those predators are caught, they can be punished. If someone is using the trans identity as a way to be a predator, and it's protected, then I feel that is an issue.
if we get to a point where someone is getting away with crimes with the defense that they're trans then I agree but I'm doubtful that will happen

spying on someone in the bathroom is a crime. period. doesn't matter what you identify as

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:01 pm

"our" society was a misstep here, but i actually agree to an extent.

now...i'll get this out of the way - i'm tired of hearing about sport leagues. it's not just that the accommodation here costs ya' nothing. but also, 99% of people are done with this by the time they reach adulthood. youth sports aren't these protected havens. they exist to teach kids about overcoming obstacles and teamwork. i won't care if a trans boy/girl is in the mix. if they're really good, then it's just another obstacle to overcome as an opponent. but also, this doesn't happen at scale. it's not a problem.

but i think it's odd that countless people are adding she/her to their email signatures even though they'll likely never encounter a trans person over email. i guess it's like wearing a mask outdoors right now. it's not actually helpful. it's just signaling that you're *with it*. and actually, i'm very sympathetic to the argument that we now have too many societal rules. it's not healthy for adults to constantly recalibrate until they die.

but...outside of San Francisco and other insane think tanks of its ilk, i dunno...is there a problem that needs solved?

the summary of that ^ word salad is...most of these complaints aren't an actual problem (like sports), but they do add up and radicalize people to be "anti" whatever.
Just in case anyone doubted that shmengy had some self-awareness or cognizance...as it's been a rough day in this thread haha...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:04 pm

also, the gender identity conversation is hampered by crazies that make up terms and dilute genuine discourse about those with actual identity issues

for example, I learned what "novigender" is the other day
Novigender, or novogender,[1] is a gender in which one's gender experience (or lack thereof) is complicated in such a way that it is difficult or impossible to fit into one term. Novigender falls under the umbrella of pomogender, which is defined as a gender in where one denies or does not fit any labels for any particular gender. A pomogender person may know they are not cisgender, but cannot, or is not interested in specifying their gender.

Simply put, novigender individuals' gender experience cannot be expressed simply or in a single term or word.
nope, I'm sorry, **** you. That's some literal special snowflake stuff. this is why people have a hard time accepting transgenderism is because it's grouped in with this fuckery. if someone considers themselves "novigender" I hate them by default. Maybe that makes me a bigot but I can live with that. Death to all novigenders

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:06 pm

if we get to a point where someone is getting away with crimes with the defense that they're trans then I agree but I'm doubtful that will happen

spying on someone in the bathroom is a crime. period. doesn't matter what you identify as
"Your honor, my client identifies as a girl"

"Cased Dismissed!"

...need the lawyers to weigh in, but im gonna bet they might actually ask follow up questions