Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:39 am

Yes. I realize that I'm speaking in broad brush generalities and doesn't apply to every single person.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 am

Of course, my parents also started their lives in very conservative families and have since become quite liberal, so take that fwiw.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:42 am

Boomers had it good and then when they got in power they made it so they got to keep everything and leave nothing for the generations that followed. Millennials and Gen Z (compared to boomers) didn't have it good, so there was nothing really to keep. Then, when they didn't have it great like their parents, they were told "oh, it's because you spent your money on guacamole, you entitled little brats."

If the generation doesn't really hold the wealth, property, and benefits, why would they grow more conservatives? They don't have any reason to keep things the way they are.
I think a lot of it has to do with how prominently conservative occupations are now structured (doctors and lawyers, and probably to a lesser extent other white-collar professions). For doctors, the employment model for our boomer parents was more private practice, business owner type position. Now, doctors coming out of school are more likely to be employed by a conglomerate, thus a worker, thus not a capital owner. Lawyers coming out and working for firms were on faster tracks to partner (thus part owner of firms).

Obviously, these folks are making like 500K per year, and the different between 33% and 39% is meaningful. but as salaried worker, as opposed to being part of the business ownership, taxes are important, but there's a light touch. The amount you either pay at the end of the year, or is taken out of your paycheck is not front of mind. You aren't like griping over the taxes you are paying to run the business.

So, really, this just goes to say that conservative / liberal persona is not really based on economics. It's cultural and geographic, so thus there would not be that transition to the GOP when you age.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:37 am

“Why does everyone hate politicians? I don’t hate Pelosi.”

Remember that one? Aging really well.
You mean I was consistent with what I said there? That I don't understand the viciousness of replies towards politicians?

Politicians aren't important enough to hate.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 am

Source of the post Politicians aren't important enough to hate.
:lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:49 am

My uncle works for FedEx in Indianapolis.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:00 pm

:shock:

Please tell us he’s safe

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:27 pm

Please tell us he’s safe
Yeah get us an update tif.

I learned about this from your post. I should probably start checking the news in the morning. I also learned that FedEx has a no cell phone policy which may have prevented people from getting the word out. It definitely prevented people from letting their loved ones know they were safe. 8 dead, 20 injured with gunshot wounds, possibly 40 more injured on top of that, likely from running away. JFC.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:30 pm

The no cell phone policy only applies to package handlers due to confidentiality and safety reasons. Dock managers and all other facility personnel are allowed to have personal cell phones.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Full disclosure I got all of my information from the reddit comment thread, which are well known for their 100% accuracy.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:33 pm

Full disclosure I got all of my information from the reddit comment thread, which are well known for their 100% accuracy.
Most definitely. I just wanted to provide some clarification. Please direct all media to my post for accurate information.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:23 pm

Looking forward to the fascist caucus

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 pm

AZ counting the ballots again so I guess the election is back on:
The Arizona recount, which is set to begin April 22, is being led by Republicans in the state Senate, headed up by its president, Karen Fann, who has agreed to spend public money out of a Senate operations budget for the review.

Fann has said the Senate’s audit is designed to “restore integrity to the election process” and would be independent and transparent.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... table-main

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:37 pm

Why is this country so god damn stupid

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:42 pm

Should we bump the election thread? So if AZ flips (obviously it won't) Biden would only win 295 - 248

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:45 pm

Please tell us he’s safe
Yeah get us an update tif.

I learned about this from your post. I should probably start checking the news in the morning. I also learned that FedEx has a no cell phone policy which may have prevented people from getting the word out. It definitely prevented people from letting their loved ones know they were safe. 8 dead, 20 injured with gunshot wounds, possibly 40 more injured on top of that, likely from running away. JFC.
Confirmed: Uncle works at a different facility about 2 miles away, he's safe. No word on whether he knew anyone involved.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:47 pm

Should we bump the election thread? So if AZ flips (obviously it won't) Biden would only win 295 - 248
AZ is only step 1.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:48 pm

A member of the Oath Keepers pleads guilty and will cooperate with prosecutors in the Jan. 6 riot inquiry.
A member of the Oath Keepers militia who was charged in connection with the riot at the Capitol pleaded guilty on Friday and agreed to cooperate with the government — potentially against other members of the far-right group.

The guilty plea by the Oath Keeper, Jon Ryan Schaffer, 53, of Indiana, was the first to be entered publicly by any of the more than 400 people who have been charged so far in the Jan. 6 riot. News of the plea emerged last week after secret documents in Mr. Schaffer’s case were briefly unsealed by accident on a federal court database.

Mr. Schaffer’s cooperation with the government could prove instrumental in helping prosecutors pursue much broader conspiracy charges against 12 other members of the Oath Keepers who stand accused of the some of the most serious crimes in the sprawling investigation.

The Oath Keeper conspiracy case is one of two large cases in which prosecutors have charged rioters with hatching plans to commit violence at the Capitol as early as November. As part of the case, the authorities have said they are investigating Stewart Rhodes, the founder of the Oath Keepers, who was at the Capitol on Jan. 6 but did not appear to have entered the building.
Regular reminder to occasionally go back and re-read this thread from 1/6 through about 1/8.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:54 pm

AZ is only step 1.

:scared: :scared: :scared:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:56 pm

so what's the endgame of the recount? let's say it does change...I guess what they're hoping is that more states will recount and hope that Trump eventually has more electorates. and then what? another insurrection?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:57 pm

A member of the Oath Keepers pleads guilty and will cooperate with prosecutors in the Jan. 6 riot inquiry.
A member of the Oath Keepers militia who was charged in connection with the riot at the Capitol pleaded guilty on Friday and agreed to cooperate with the government — potentially against other members of the far-right group.

The guilty plea by the Oath Keeper, Jon Ryan Schaffer, 53, of Indiana, was the first to be entered publicly by any of the more than 400 people who have been charged so far in the Jan. 6 riot. News of the plea emerged last week after secret documents in Mr. Schaffer’s case were briefly unsealed by accident on a federal court database.

Mr. Schaffer’s cooperation with the government could prove instrumental in helping prosecutors pursue much broader conspiracy charges against 12 other members of the Oath Keepers who stand accused of the some of the most serious crimes in the sprawling investigation.

The Oath Keeper conspiracy case is one of two large cases in which prosecutors have charged rioters with hatching plans to commit violence at the Capitol as early as November. As part of the case, the authorities have said they are investigating Stewart Rhodes, the founder of the Oath Keepers, who was at the Capitol on Jan. 6 but did not appear to have entered the building.
Regular reminder to occasionally go back and re-read this thread from 1/6 through about 1/8.
I personally get the feeling there is a larger portion of people who look at 1/6 as no big deal, justified, or they openly support it. Just looking at the people upset that whoever shot that terrorist isn't getting arrested.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:58 pm

Is there a new date the MAGA nutjobs think that Trump will take back over? I remember they were convinced that 1/6, 1/20, 3/14 were all dates of interest for some reason or another. Is there a new date?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 pm

Pour one out for the glory days.

Wonder what he’ll get sentenced with. Hopefully a prison sentence and continuous loop of Framing Armageddon.

Edit: Jesus. Witness protection?

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:15 pm

Looking forward to the fascist caucus
Disgusting

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:21 pm

"America First"

"European architecture"

these people are certified morons