Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:17 pm

It’s going to be funded through the shad tax, shad and shad-like Americans have to pay a tax that is directly transferred to BLM, HBCU endowment funds and BET.
What about the Black Panthers?
All those organizations roll into the black panthers, they are the top of the umbrella
Where does the Nation of Islam figure into this reckoning?
Black panther and cia psyop, divert attention from the black panther government

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:18 pm

We'll see guns taken away before we'll see reparations.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:24 pm

It’s going to be funded through the shad tax, shad and shad-like Americans have to pay a tax that is directly transferred to BLM, HBCU endowment funds and BET.
What about the Black Panthers?
All those organizations roll into the black panthers, they are the top of the umbrella
Where does the Nation of Islam figure into this reckoning?
Black panther and cia psyop, divert attention from the black panther government
This is truly mystery-riddle-enigma territory here.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm

also important to remember that the gap between AOC and Manchin (or even AOC and Biden) >>>>>> the gap between Trump and literally any republican.

Point being the dems are comprised of at least 2 significant, ideologically distinct factions. nothing like reparations gets done because there's simply no support for it.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:40 pm

yeah, it's weird how Dems have an array of political positions and the Republicans are seemingly one dimensional. A Mitt Romney or so exists but even then it's not that far out from what the rest of the party believes

it's indicative of the health of each party imo

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:44 pm

It wasn't that long ago where this wasn't the case. And I'd be willing to say that it still actually isn't the case. The problem is the backlash that surrounds centrist republicans saying anything out of step with the MAGA nuts. They don't want to get caught up in primary fights, and if they speak up/speak out against the orange one, they'll certainly see primary challenges. This is probably a lesser thing on the left as the voting block there doesn't consist of 30-40% eat the rich leftists like the right's 30-40% "MURIKA, F*CK YEAH!" people.

So while I'm not sure the spread or range of political ideas is much different between parties, the consequences of having a spread are vastly different at the moment.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:48 pm

It wasn't that long ago where this wasn't the case. And I'd be willing to say that it still actually isn't the case. The problem is the backlash that surrounds centrist republicans saying anything out of step with the MAGA nuts. They don't want to get caught up in primary fights, and if they speak up/speak out against the orange one, they'll certainly see primary challenges. This is probably a lesser thing on the left as the voting block there doesn't consist of 30-40% eat the rich leftists like the right's 30-40% "MURIKA, F*CK YEAH!" people.

So while I'm not sure the spread or range of political ideas is much different between parties, the consequences of having a spread are vastly different at the moment.
GOP is for 401K's and cultural grievances. That's true today and has been true for generations. The last year is exposing that there was never anything there to begin with. So like it's always been, you have a narrow ideology that attracts loyal devotees. So it goes.

Dems stand for...everything else. So there's no coalition. Just people who aren't aggrieved whites and people who think politics isn't always a matter of "how does this help ME?!?". Among that population you have a million different ideologies.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Dems stand for...everything else. So there's no coalition. Just people who aren't aggrieved whites and people who think politics isn't always a matter of "how does this help ME?!?". Among that population you have a million different ideologies.
Everyone enjoys free stuff.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Everyone enjoys free stuff.
if i get a hand out, like the cheap health insurance i get through work, my joy is tempered by the fact that people who happen to have less opportunity than me don't get the same.

when i picture the purpose of government, i don't picture myself in the equation.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm

At Least 15 Officers Mistook Guns for Tasers. Three Were Convicted.
Prosecuting police in cases of so-called weapon confusion has happened before, but the legal landscape is complex.

While it is rare for the police to mistake their sidearms for their stun guns, it is even rarer for charges to be brought against them in such cases. A New York Times review of 15 other cases of so-called weapon confusion over the past 20 years showed that only five of the officers were indicted. Only three, including the only two cases in which people were killed, were eventually found guilty.
How Could an Officer Mistake a Gun for a Taser?
In most cases in which an officer grabs a pistol instead of a Taser, the confusion occurs under particular circumstances, said Ed Obayashi, an expert in the use of police force and a California deputy sheriff with a legal practice. It can happen when officers carry both weapons on the same side of their body, he said, or when they holster their stun guns on the opposite side of their body in such a way that it is easier for them to reach across their bodies with a dominant hand and cross-draw.

In both cases, he said, the officer can become accustomed to using the same hand to draw either weapon, a habit that can make it harder to tell one from the other in high-pressure situations when muscle memory and instinct kick in.

Body-camera footage from the scene of Mr. Wright’s killing does not show how Officer Potter carried her weapons. But Deputy Obayashi said it does show her fellow officer with his gun on one side of his body and his Taser on the other side, holstered so that either weapon could easily be grabbed by his dominant hand.
It appears that several aspects of how Officer Potter handled her weapons may have violated the protocol laid out in the manual, even if she had drawn her Taser and not her firearm.

The manual advises that the device should not be used against people “whose position or activity may result in collateral injury” — including people who are “operating vehicles.” Mr. Wright was sitting in the driver’s seat when Officer Potter fired, and his car traveled several blocks after he was shot.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:18 pm

The last two paragraphs there will be the hook. Good find, tif.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:24 pm

This sounds like a bad idea.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:25 pm

GOP is for 401K's and cultural grievances. That's true today and has been true for generations. The last year is exposing that there was never anything there to begin with. So like it's always been, you have a narrow ideology that attracts loyal devotees. So it goes.

:slug:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:31 pm

aren’t monkeys and humans the same thing anyway?

Atheists: 0
Christians: 1

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:39 pm

:slug:
well you're allegedly neither so it would be quite strange for you to have a material opinion on this.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:43 pm

creating a minimally sentient organ farm poses no ethical problems. produce the meat without the emotional response and we're all good. i really have no patience for wet blankets who delay this type of science.

even something like eugenics (via some kind of gene therapy)...where are these underground labs producing an Aryan nation? Maybe it would be a good thing to get rid of genes that ultimately kill and disfigure people? Maybe dudes don't want to go bald in their 20's?

and clone the f***ing T Rex already

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:51 pm

What's so bad about it? Growing human organs in a lab... do it.

The tech won't be available in our lifetime anyways. Let our kids deal with the ethical conundrum (if there even is one).

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:56 pm

It's the first step to creating the T-100 cybernetic organism, living tissue over metal endoskeleton.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:29 pm

It's the first step to creating the T-100 cybernetic organism, living tissue over metal endoskeleton.
Not quite...

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:56 pm

Sweet...I was just thinking, we don't have enough people staying alive for way too long...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:39 pm

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Re: changes to SCOTUS.

Either term limits or a change in nomination procedure would require a constitutional amendment, which I don't see any chance of passing. Both sides want and hope to be able to control the Court, and I don't see either the Ds or Rs willing to give that up.

A "nonpartisan" nominating method sounds nice, but there's no way to eliminate partisanship from the process. If judges are elected, the elections will become partisan; even if judges aren't allowed to run under party labels, people will figure those out. If judges are nominated by politicians, the nomination and approval process (as we've all seen) will be partisan. If a board performs the nominations (such as through a Missouri Plan method), then the partisanship will shift to that board. Who picks the pickers? If politicians pick, then their selections will be partisan. If board members are elected, then the elections will be partisan. If "neutral" parties pick (such as the Bar Association or something like that), then there will be partisan battles within those entities to get chosen for the nominating board, and I can attest that Bar Associations are not "nonpartisan" entities; most of them are dominated by left-leaning lawyers.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:31 pm

SCOTUS solution: if a judge is needed at any point the minority in the legislative branch chooses the candidates. It’s the best compromise to stop judges being power f*cked into the role by whatever party’s president is in the White House.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:43 am

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:36 am

JFC. My boss just spent the last three days at that facility.