Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:39 pm

I don't think the officer in Brooklyn Park will seek employment as a cop again. I think she was genuinely alarmed at what she had done, and recognizes the permanent consequences.

Derek Chauvin and others involved in the Floyd incident didn't resign. I don't think Chauvin to this day feels like he did anything wrong. The Brooklyn Center officer does not seem like she is cut from that same cloth. I could be wrong, we shall see.
:thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:47 pm

I don't trust her to make that decision for herself. If the occupation was regulated by an accreditation process like, say, attorneys or physicians then maybe the idea of self-regulation would carry some weight. But they don't, so it doesn't. Prosecute.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:51 pm

i think the cop who killed Botham Jean when she drunkenly stumbled into his apartment was also remorseful. nevertheless...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:00 pm

i also think that, based on the details of the offense, this person might also be simply too stupid to peacefully exist in society without harming others. like i'm glad she won't be driving a car for a while, you know?

but whatever...she needs to be locked up for a multitude of reasons, and i feel very bad for both her and the victim

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:02 pm

she’s different than Chauvin, sure, but she’s not off the hook because of that. She just deserves a lesser charge

her life is effectively ruined now (unless she goes the full Zimmerman route and bathes in attention from racists). Someone was killed, she’ll always be associated with racist, murdering cops and I’m guessing she’ll have to live with that in her nightmares forevermore. Maybe that’s punishment enough. Idk

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:04 pm

Maybe that’s punishment enough. Idk
really sticking with this "punishment" thing eh?

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:05 pm

It's not, by the way.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:21 pm

i also think that, based on the details of the offense, this person might also be simply too stupid to peacefully exist in society without harming others. like i'm glad she won't be driving a car for a while, you know?

but whatever...she needs to be locked up for a multitude of reasons, and i feel very bad for both her and the victim
She's a 26-year police veteran.

Do I think she deserves criminal sanction? Yes. But as noted yesterday, she's probably covered by qualified immunity.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Yeah this lady also was a 26 year vet, which makes the mistake even more egregious in my mind.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:26 pm

i think you can be a complete nitwit for 26 years and still stay on the force. i mean...what are the enforced standards in MN, really?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:29 pm

Your bigotry knows no bounds...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:54 pm

Bigot towards....? Ya know, if you throw those words around enough so casually, they lose meaning.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:02 pm

The outcomes of the incidents that brought the officers to infamy were certainly very very disparate. But in terms of conduct going forward, the pepper spray guy in Virginia scares me a lot more. He's got a non-zero number of those incidents in him still, and I will not be the slightest bit surprised if the internal review that's underway reveals he's had use of force incidents in the past. And he very much seems like a guy that will seek to be a cop with some other PD in the country now that he's been fired.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:36 pm

i think you can be a complete nitwit for 26 years and still stay on the force. i mean...what are the enforced standards in MN, really?
Considering you can become a cop in less time than it takes to get an associates degree I’m not shocked we as the public aren’t getting the best and brightest with integrity.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:41 pm

I’d say the two professions where I most often say “oh god... who let you do that???” Are cops, a big gap, and then high school history teachers.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:43 pm

Last resort job for directionless power mongers who couldn’t find a better gig without a degree.

...often not always

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:51 pm

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:05 pm

Don't feel bad for her. **** her.

You have a weapon that can end someone's life. Either exercise caution or get ****.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:07 pm

I don’t feel bad for people who text and drive and then kill someone either. Lethal negligence isn’t something that just happens because of bad luck.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:05 pm

Don't feel bad for her. **** her.

You have a weapon that can end someone's life. Either exercise caution or get ****.
We have no idea what the details of the situation were. It seems there wasn’t an intent to kill. She may have been great at her job up until then. Probably not, but who knows. There is a ton we don’t know about this. We all want to make snap judgements on everyone. Honestly, it makes things worse in the world. This wasn’t a series of actions. This wasn’t a prolonged decision. This was a second in time, and she’ll live with this forever. This isn’t to excuse it or sympathize with her, even though I’m sure that’s how it sounds. She should face consequences to her actions and she killed a person by her actions. I just have a hard time writing someone off as worthless based on a one second point in their life.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 pm

I didnt write her off as worthless. I just don't have any sympathy or empathy for her. If you're in a job that faces situations with no margin for error, you can't make an error. Simple as that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 pm

Jim, is that you?

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:14 pm

I didnt write her off as worthless. I just don't have any sympathy or empathy for her. If you're in a job that faces situations with no margin for error, you can't make an error. Simple as that.
So no cop or anyone with a capability of ending a life should ever make a mistake. That’s a high bar. Some might even say unrealistic.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:17 pm

How about mistaking a lethal weapon for a non-lethal weapon? That low enough?

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 pm

It’s an awful mistake. A dumb mistake. One that shouldn’t happen. I also question why it happened though.