Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:55 pm

Do any of the deists here size up a situation, feel an urge to act and say...nah, I shouldn’t because God.

It’s been a while since I’ve had fear of the big guy. Is it something that actually plays into grown up decision making or is it just a lever to pull when you want some confirmation bias?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:04 pm

I had a post from some Christian writer getting their vaccine pop up in my Facebook (assuming it's because a friend replied to a comment on it).

I wish I could say I'm not surprised that there's a vocal number of people saying the vaccine is the mark of the beast, or that it'll make you dumber and pull you further from God's light.

I just... I don't understand people.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:44 pm

Do any of the deists here size up a situation, feel an urge to act and say...nah, I shouldn’t because God.

It’s been a while since I’ve had fear of the big guy. Is it something that actually plays into grown up decision making or is it just a lever to pull when you want some confirmation bias?

Chick I was in nuke school with would cut study sessions short so she could go to church and pray to God to help her pass. She passed with a 2.5, DoD affirmative action got her an instructor job so she never went to sea, got knocked up by a higher ranking instructor, shotgun wedding ensued and she got offered an honorable discharge... so I guess it worked.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:56 pm

she got offered an honorable discharge... so I guess it worked.
For the fetus?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Business not cowed by McConnell's threats:
More than 100 chief executives and corporate leaders gathered online Saturday to discuss taking new action to combat the controversial state voting bills being considered across the country, including the one recently signed into law in Georgia.

Executives from major airlines, retailers and manufacturers — plus at least one NFL owner — talked about potential ways to show they opposed the controversial legislation, including by halting donations to politicians who support the bills and even delaying investments in states that pass the restrictive measures, according to four people who were on the call, including one of the organizers, Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, a Yale management professor.

While no final steps were agreed on, the meeting represents an aggressive dialing up of Corporate America’s advocacy against controversial voting measures nationwide, a sign that their opposition to the laws didn’t end with the fight against the measure passed last month in Georgia.
:thumb:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... table-main

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:36 pm

I’m sure these CEOs are simply confused, and will certainly have egg on their faces when they realize this is all above board and necessary to protect our democratic process.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:44 pm

The motives are interesting to dissect. Nike and Coke might be pandering to customers with the most buying power but corporations in the professional services industry (like mine) who aren’t consumer facing - they’re also cutting donations and whatnot. Despite not having a public-facing brand.

I wonder if they’ve done the math and realized that talented candidates are going to choose to work somewhere else if they don’t exercise a minimal social conscience. I wouldn’t work for Monsanto or a weapons manufacturer even for considerably more money than I make today, and anyone who donates to the GOP would go to the bottom of the list. I don’t think I’m alone.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:23 pm

I had a post from some Christian writer getting their vaccine pop up in my Facebook (assuming it's because a friend replied to a comment on it).

I wish I could say I'm not surprised that there's a vocal number of people saying the vaccine is the mark of the beast, or that it'll make you dumber and pull you further from God's light.

my sister, who’s a pretty devout Catholic and also a neurologist, was telling me that the Catholic church has denounced the J&J vaccine because an aborted fetus was used to develop it. My sister is smart enough to call out the church’s bullshit but still. It’s just...ugh

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 pm

my sister, who’s a pretty devout Catholic and also a neurologist, was telling me that the Catholic church has denounced the J&J vaccine because an aborted fetus was used to develop it. My sister is smart enough to call out the church’s bullshit but still. It’s just...ugh
But that’s not true. It was one bishop that said that. The Vatican said it’s cool to get.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:41 pm

But that’s not true. It was one bishop that said that. The Vatican said it’s cool to get.
:thumb:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:53 pm

you don’t have to convince me...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:15 am

I'm guessing this has something to do with HEK cells? I love watching people get up in arms over the use of HEK cells. Imagine taking spam and finding a way to artificially grow it, and then someone comes along and calls it a pig. That's the same line of thinking here.

Although, if people see HEK cells as being an "aborted fetus", then I guess I can see their connection to a fertilized egg being a human.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:17 am

c2i thinks humans lay eggs. What a goof.

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:20 am

"Dr." c2i.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:20 am

Have you ever read a joke from faftorial? :egg:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:45 am

Have you ever read a joke from faftorial? :egg:
Don't use me to deflect.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:00 am

This is pretty fcked up. Straight up inciting people before ANY information comes out, so he can get woke points. He is the governor of the state, FFS.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:10 am

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:32 am

This is pretty fcked up. Straight up inciting people before ANY information comes out, so he can get woke points. He is the governor of the state, FFS.

There's two games, A) ignore it or downplay it and riots happen or, B) empathize and hope it causes less unrest.

His mistake is thinking that B could actually work.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:39 am

The only information I see right now is that he got pulled over, got back in his car, and got shot. And called his mom somewhere in there.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:08 am

The sad part is, that is essentially a direct quote from a politico article.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:12 am

he's not doing interviews, therefore he's not in charge

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:16 am

Every time I see someone this dumb, I think about how enough idiots elected that person and immediately get more sad

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:23 am

There's two games, A) ignore it or downplay it and riots happen or, B) empathize and hope it causes less unrest.

His mistake is thinking that B could actually work.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis- ... nte-wright

Yeah, obviously didn't work.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:27 am

The Gov really threw his law enforcement officers under the bus. Not the best leadership.