Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:52 pm

Cosby show is a tough one. You "cancel" it because the DNA of the show is from a prolific sex monster, but it's a regrettable thing. Too many women deal with sexual abuse to give his work an ongoing supply of oxygen. It's sadly just one of those things.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:53 pm

The bigger oddity re Pepe Le Pew is that he had a scene in the movie to begin with.

And Archie Bunker is the greatest character in TV history because he's so awful. Fight me.
And also, since we are deconstructing cartoons, Pepe le Pew is never the hero, and always gets literally destroyed for his advances.
he's the hero because he's seen as the hero. an unsuccessful hero, but kids still definitely wanted to see him score.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:01 pm

The bigger oddity re Pepe Le Pew is that he had a scene in the movie to begin with.

And Archie Bunker is the greatest character in TV history because he's so awful. Fight me.
And also, since we are deconstructing cartoons, Pepe le Pew is never the hero, and always gets literally destroyed for his advances.
he's the hero because he's seen as the hero. an unsuccessful hero, but kids still definitely wanted to see him score.
What?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:03 pm

Eh, I always just remember it being hilarious that she'd always slip out of his arms and he'd be kissing himself.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:05 pm

What?
Let me circle back to this (no offense Jen).

Maybe we grew up in different ways but I'm not sure many 5 year olds were rooting for him to stick it in her pooper.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:09 pm

I always saw Pepe the same as I saw Johnny Bravo. A shithead womanizer who is never successful in their attempts because of their unwanted and brash advances

it's just annoying when everyone equates "unwanted romantic advances" to "rape". As a guy, I want to know that if I go in for a kiss and I get rejected, that I'm not branded as a rapist (assuming that I appropriately stop)

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:14 pm

I was rooting for Pepe. But I was also rooting for Tom to catch Jerry and Wile E. to catch the Roadrunner. I always felt bad for them. The "womanizer" thing was lost on me since I was a child.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:15 pm

I always saw Pepe the same as I saw Johnny Bravo. A shithead womanizer who is never successful in their attempts because of their unwanted and brash advances

it's just annoying when everyone equates "unwanted romantic advances" to "rape". As a guy, I want to know that if I go in for a kiss and I get rejected, that I'm not branded as a rapist (assuming that I appropriately stop)
you won't be branded that way if:

1) stay away from crazy
2) act respectful up until the moment you go in for the strike

#1 can be difficult to figure out, though. I understand.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:17 pm

I was rooting for Pepe. But I was also rooting for Tom to catch Jerry and Wile E. to catch the Roadrunner. I always felt bad for them. The "womanizer" thing was lost on me since I was a child.
yeah, at 6 or 7 it was like, "Ok, that's the funny one right there. The skunk guy. He's painting his stripe away again lol. I generally hope he finds his happiness. I see no additional social issues here because I'm a small child".

this, folks, makes him what they call the "protagonist". AKA the "hero".

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:19 pm

Wasn’t Archie supposed to be satire, but was really just a hero to people?
this is where the intent of the content creator is the tie breaker. if Archie was always supposed to be a kook, then nobody can control if racists co opt him as a hero. if it was always an intentional wink to racists, shut it down.
A huge part of what made Archie work was the counterpoint provided by Meathead and Gloria, the Jeffersons, Maude, the Lorenzos, etc. Nearly all of the major supporting characters were hippy dippy libs or minorities (or both even!), and they often were able to make Archie the ultimate 'victim' of his own ignorance and bad actions; I mean, the entire conceit of the show was finding creative ways to make this blue collar casual racist into a buffoon. The show's creator is Norman Lear who was (and is) a hyper progressive guy who puts his money where his mouth is where liberal causes are concerned. He's not secretly nod-winking bigots with Archie Bunker.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:50 pm

Tom and Jerry were friends. Tom only pretended to catch Jerry so his owners wouldn't replace him a cat that would, or at least that seems to be the theory the internet has adopted.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:14 pm

I definitely wanted Sylvester to catch and kill Tweety.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:01 pm

Pepe's advances weren't unwanted, HE was unwanted because he was a skunk, and started spraying every time his pecker got hard.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:07 pm

Pepe's advances weren't unwanted, HE was unwanted because he was a skunk, and started spraying every time his pecker got hard.
I don't think that's the way that works.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:24 pm

Wasn’t Archie supposed to be satire, but was really just a hero to people?
this is where the intent of the content creator is the tie breaker. if Archie was always supposed to be a kook, then nobody can control if racists co opt him as a hero. if it was always an intentional wink to racists, shut it down.
real grandpa here
i would argue the majority of scenes between archie and lionel and archie and the guileless but profoundly noble Edith when she was gutting white supremacy were some of the greatest teaching moments in television history, surpassing anything on david susskind/phil donahue/pbs etc

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:28 pm

all in the family remains -for me- the best television show i've ever seen

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:43 pm

:thumb:

It's top 2 or 3 for me, for sure.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:38 pm

Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) posted on Twitter the motto of a white nationalist group on Sunday, a little over a week after delivering the keynote address at the group’s conference in Florida. 
“#AmericaFirst,” Gosar tweeted above a meme showing a cartoon of what appears to be a sex worker leaning into a man’s car and saying, “$50 WHATEVER YOU WANT BABY.” 
The man sitting in the car replies: “CAN YOU ... TELL EVERYONE AMERICA FIRST IS INEVITABLE.” 
“America First is inevitable” is the motto of the “America First” white nationalist movement headed by the racist and anti-Semitic podcaster Nick Fuentes.
Just more winks.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:53 pm

Let me circle back to this (no offense Jen).
You and Hannity still find that line funny tonight.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:29 pm

Nice to know you circled back to Hannity after the election.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:34 pm

More pointing out that you are part of the right wing noise machine.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:48 pm

More pointing out that you are part of the right wing noise machine.
Ok.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:04 pm

Just read the last few pages. Rape skunks and Swedish head covering legislation.

So this is what we are without Trump? I have sudden sympathy for Kimmel, Fallon, etc.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:08 pm

Swedish

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:39 am

Source of the post I have sudden sympathy for Kimmel, Fallon, etc.
We need a welfare check on dodint. Whoever's closest to him.