Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:09 am

Or...let’s pack it in, since life is good enough for some amount of people.
American empire is done, let's just enjoy the last remaining fruits of the endeavor.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:13 am

let the record show that the kangaroo would rather read about poverty than the design of a stage used at a conference for wierdos like matt gaetz

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:14 am

Or...let’s pack it in, since life is good enough for some amount of people.
American empire is done, let's just enjoy the last remaining fruits of the endeavor.
The people who think the government stinks at welfare are citing previous versions of welfare as to why the concept itself is flawed. Or punt it down the road to the community level - which has already obviously failed, btw.

It’s funny that even a substantial billionaire tax that gets ushered directly to the worker class is just too much to ask. Because people won’t want to be billionaires anymore or something.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:15 am

let the record show that the kangaroo would rather read about poverty than the design of a stage used at a conference for wierdos like matt gaetz
Seconded.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:19 am

Yeah, the stage stuff is a little weird...the level of certainty just isn't quite there for me...but, I mean, maybe...?

Disingenuous question: Is talking about the poverty cycle for primarily black communities and then coming back with UBI akin to saying "All Lives Matter"...? I'm assuming UBI dunk tanks our current welfare system by default...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:20 am

imo the problem with reparations are they have to be substantial enough to allow people to get out of poverty but can't be too much that it costs a significant amount for the country

maybe this is a cop out answer but I would prefer to invest in social programs like elementary/middle/high school education, career training programs, etc.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:20 am

Here’s a pivot...

What’s the true reason for Biden going light on the Saudis?

Still fossil fuels? Just general hawk-ish things? It’s a little surprising, tbh. There’s a sea change going on with energy. It’s hard to imagine the Saudi’s having sway like they used to.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:27 am

Here’s a pivot...

What’s the true reason for Biden going light on the Saudis?

Still fossil fuels? Just general hawk-ish things? It’s a little surprising, tbh. There’s a sea change going on with energy. It’s hard to imagine the Saudi’s having sway like they used to.
There is no off-ramp with the Saudis. MBS will be die of suspicious circumstances in a few years and a less outwardly maniacal Saudi will take the reigns.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:37 am

Yeah, the stage stuff is a little weird...the level of certainty just isn't quite there for me...but, I mean, maybe...?

Disingenuous question: Is talking about the poverty cycle for primarily black communities and then coming back with UBI akin to saying "All Lives Matter"...? I'm assuming UBI dunk tanks our current welfare system by default...
There’s not an equivalency with this topic and BLM. Poverty can be an “all lives matter” thing because...it is. At least in a much different way than police brutality.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:47 am

Damn, don’t know who this dude is, but few have been so right

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:52 am

Who exactly wants to drop Biden for that idiot?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:52 am

Nobody. It's the NY Post.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:53 am

It's also from April 2020

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:57 am

The early covid gushing for Cuomo was real, but it was mostly in contrast to Trump, who was going on TV and pontificating about injecting cleaning products.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:22 pm

A little perspective.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:40 pm

I saw one story on there that said black people weren't even allowed to attend state universities in Oklahoma in the 50s. I guess I didn't realize it was that recent. That's a not too long ago in the grand scheme of things.
Mrs Tif was born in 1967, and at the time there were still like half a dozen states with miscegenation laws on the books.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:56 pm

Clemson integrated in the mid-60s. Harvey Gantt was the first Black student there, later became the mayor of CLT and ran (unsuccessfully) against Jesse Helms for US Senator of NC.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:09 pm

Whats going on with this rent moratorium? Like, what happens when it ends? And how are landlords being taken care of?

I have a buddy who has a tenant who hasn't paid a cent since June. Do they say rent moratorium over and suddenly she owes him 9 months? Or is he supposed to just waive that and be SOL?
I’m having the same issue right now, although not nearly that bad. My renters said they couldn’t afford to pay this month, which is also their last month. They’re asking to use the security deposit to cover it. I don’t know if there’s damages yet, or even if it’s possible to do that, since the contract says it can’t be used as rental payment. Letting the property management company deal with it, but I don’t expect to see a full payment.
So, got into my rental yesterday since the tenants are moved out and found that the security deposit will definitely be needed for damages. They ruined a large section of the wood laminate floor. Almost like they just let a puddle of water sit there for a month. Then they also ruined the carpeting at two landing areas at the bottom of the stairs. Carpeting was all wet and it looks like they sprinkled some Arm and Hammer carpet deodorizer on it. Some other minor damages, but those things will be costly enough along with the repainting. I just don't understand how people can do **** like this.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:12 pm

Whats going on with this rent moratorium? Like, what happens when it ends? And how are landlords being taken care of?

I have a buddy who has a tenant who hasn't paid a cent since June. Do they say rent moratorium over and suddenly she owes him 9 months? Or is he supposed to just waive that and be SOL?
I’m having the same issue right now, although not nearly that bad. My renters said they couldn’t afford to pay this month, which is also their last month. They’re asking to use the security deposit to cover it. I don’t know if there’s damages yet, or even if it’s possible to do that, since the contract says it can’t be used as rental payment. Letting the property management company deal with it, but I don’t expect to see a full payment.
So, got into my rental yesterday since the tenants are moved out and found that the security deposit will definitely be needed for damages. They ruined a large section of the wood laminate floor. Almost like they just let a puddle of water sit there for a month. Then they also ruined the carpeting at two landing areas at the bottom of the stairs. Carpeting was all wet and it looks like they sprinkled some Arm and Hammer carpet deodorizer on it. Some other minor damages, but those things will be costly enough along with the repainting. I just don't understand how people can do **** like this.
How do you distinguish between wear and tear (esp if it's the usual crappy carpet in rentals) and damage?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:15 pm

FWIW, if you have to replace the flooring, I'd ditch the carpet and laminate and put in luxury vinyl planks. It might be more expensive at the start, but it's much more durable/harder to ruin through carelessness.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:16 pm

How do you distinguish between wear and tear (esp if it's the usual crappy carpet in rentals) and damage?
It's wet, has green spots on it, and was pulled up, so it's definitely not wear and tear.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:18 pm

FWIW, if you have to replace the flooring, I'd ditch the carpet and laminate and put in luxury vinyl planks. It might be more expensive at the start, but it's much more durable/harder to ruin through carelessness.
That's a good idea I hadn't thought about (won't be able to redo the whole flooring with vinyl planks, but can replace carpeting with the laminate). The carpet that needs to be replaced is connected to the area that has the laminate flooring, so I could easily pull up that carpet and put flooring down there. Just not sure if I can do it in both landing spots or if that will look weird.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:14 pm

in college I had a housemate who was very drunk and randomly just headbutted a section of drywall. Sometimes it's better to not ask questions

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:30 pm

That only happened once? Did you go to an all girls school or something?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:40 pm

the headbutting yes

I did have other roommates/friends who punched the basement ceiling many times and left trails of blood all over the place

this was my first time spending copious amounts of time with Russians. They're fun but holy **** they're crazy