Postby Shyster » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:05 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Politics And Current Events

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:58 am

wat

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:22 am

Biden doesn't represent any values, Biden doesn't represent anything. He's like a half-ethereal crane game, where you see the **** you might get from him, and try as you might, the people with more quarters already took everything within reach.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:06 am

Neocon's back in business.

Who could have possibly seen a conflict escalation with Iran. Trump solved the Middle East by assassinating Soleimani and getting those countries to normalize relations with Israel.

At least we know that any fallout, or future complications will be the sole fault of one, Joe Biden.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:15 am

Potato head is a potato... don't be so f*cking crazy about this stuff.

Let's not bomb people.

End of discussion for me for the day.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:17 am

:lol:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:47 am

I don't think McConnell is the wizard people think. He's just a disciplined guy who is aware of the landscape and will never get suckered into honest dialogue by appealing to his sense of shame.

He acquits Trump, to make sure his on-the-record acts are aligned. Then he informally criticizes him 5 seconds later...but it's quickly followed by this pre-CPAC sound byte where he endorses him - and since this is the most recent clip, it means that people in Kentucky won't harass him at airports.

And ultimately, he wants to be a good soldier to the GOP so he can get invited to the good parties in 6 years when he retires - unphased by the rubble he left behind.

He's not trying to save the GOP or even get back into a position of power at this point (since Trump is Senate poison). He's riding out his pre-retirement peacefully while also enjoying his obstruction via his little Manchin.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:53 am

He was asked if he would vote for the GOP candidate, even if was Trump. Of course, he would, or at least he'd have to say that publicly.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:10 am

He was asked about “supporting” the gop candidate. Slightly different, but also, of course he would. It shouldn’t come as any surprise he would support whoever the gop candidate is.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:21 am

He was asked if he would vote for the GOP candidate, even if was Trump. Of course, he would, or at least he'd have to say that publicly.
Good point about the phrasing. I’d wager this was arranged between McConnel and Fox, to ask the question in a way he could downplay later.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:24 am

CPAC attendees jeering and heckling the hotel's request that they wear masks.

#BothSides is so dead and buried it's hard to even remember a time where this claim was made with a straight face

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:25 am

Biden doesn't represent any values, Biden doesn't represent anything. He's like a half-ethereal crane game, where you see the **** you might get from him, and try as you might, the people with more quarters already took everything within reach.
I think we all knew this. It was a return to status-quo which we all knew wasn’t great but was less chaotic than the last 4 years.

Perspective, it’s been a month. The vaccination effort is largely moving in the right direction. That’s the biggest concern, get vaccinated, fully reopen economy. That starts healing the wound. I’m okay with progress so far.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 am

I think we all knew this. It was a return to status-quo which we all knew wasn’t great but was less chaotic than the last 4 years.

Perspective, it’s been a month. The vaccination effort is largely moving in the right direction. That’s the biggest concern, get vaccinated, fully reopen economy. That starts healing the wound. I’m okay with progress so far.
Agreed.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:34 am

Biden is who we thought he was. He was never my guy but luckily for him, Trump was his opponent. He got plenty of "anybody but Trump" votes.

Vaccination effort has been great. Lack of stimulus has been very bad. It shouldn't be taking this long.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:35 am

I wouldn't mind seeing an airstrike on the cpac convention

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:36 am

I think this is a new Biden, tbh.

He’s gotta be livid over what the senate has become. And I do believe the last 12 months may have changed his approach where he actually has big goals to fix big problems.

Ultimately he’ll be judged on how he deals with republican/Manchin obstruction. If he sits idly by while the filibuster enables the GOP to steal the house in ‘22 through voter suppression, then he doesn’t get it, and is a dud. He can’t fix whatever selfish bullshit Manchin and Sinema are bringing to the table, but he can at least make it clear that he sides with the people and not with the perversion of the senate structure.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:37 am

Wait a second. The “Christian” right is now constructing golden gods? I feel like there’s a super long movie starring a guy that at some point ate people about this very thing being wrong.
Last edited by Pavel Bure on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:41 am

Wait a second. The “Christian” right is now constructing golden gods? I feel like there’s a super long movie starring a guy that at some point are people about this very thing being wrong.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:45 am

Former U.S. Gymnastics Coach Charged With Human Trafficking
The former U.S. Olympic gymnastics coach John Geddert, who owned a gym where athletes said they were sexually assaulted by the former team doctor Lawrence Nassar, was charged with human trafficking, criminal sexual conduct and other crimes, prosecutors said on Thursday.

Mr. Geddert was the head coach of the 2012 Olympic gymnastics team and formerly owned and coached at Twistars, a gymnastics club located in Dimondale, a suburb of Lansing, Mich.

Dana Nessel, Michigan’s attorney general, announced the charges on Thursday at an afternoon news conference. Mr. Geddert faces 20 counts of human trafficking — including 14 counts of forced labor resulting in injury and six counts of trafficking a minor — as well as charges of racketeering, first-degree criminal sexual conduct, second-degree criminal sexual assault and lying to a police officer.
We just recently watched a documentary on Netflix called Athlete A that chronicles the Nassar story. I hope everyone involved in perpetrating and covering up these horrors dies in a gigantic tire fire.
Nassar’s police interview/interrogation is sickening. He really feels like if he uses medical terminology that people will say, “you’re the doctor, if you say so.” And let him walk. It was honestly chilling.
It made Mrs Tif nauseous. It's just inhuman and disgusting and my imagination is still actively trying to figure out more creative ways to make that guy suffer.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:50 am

Wait a second. The “Christian” right is now constructing golden gods? I feel like there’s a super long movie starring a guy that at some point ate people about this very thing being wrong.
[A] super long movie starring a guy that at some point ate people..... and who went on to ultimately be the president of the NRA. :pop:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:59 am

It's not like "evangelicals" took a look at all the religions out there and chose Christianity because of Jesus' message of peace and love.

They're yokels who were born into communities where you just do what your parents did. So this dunking on their hypocrisy is pretty tired. They go to church because it's their culture and because they believe in spooky ghost stories. there's no mandate for intellectual consistency.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:09 am

It's not like "evangelicals" took a look at all the religions out there and chose Christianity because of Jesus' message of peace and love.

They're yokels who were born into communities where you just do what your parents did. So this dunking on their hypocrisy is pretty tired. They go to church because it's their culture and because they believe in spooky ghost stories. there's no mandate for intellectual consistency.
The dunking is justified because their first argument on nearly everything starts with their faith and what the Bible says.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:09 am

Have yourself a bullet

You know what's doubly infuriating about this? Between the text of the tweet and the preview text of the article, nowhere do you see the words 'John Geddert'. You see Larry Nassar a couple times, but the actual guy involved here remains unnamed in the message that is what most people will see. Say his name.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:26 am

Former U.S. Gymnastics Coach Charged With Human Trafficking
The former U.S. Olympic gymnastics coach John Geddert, who owned a gym where athletes said they were sexually assaulted by the former team doctor Lawrence Nassar, was charged with human trafficking, criminal sexual conduct and other crimes, prosecutors said on Thursday.

Mr. Geddert was the head coach of the 2012 Olympic gymnastics team and formerly owned and coached at Twistars, a gymnastics club located in Dimondale, a suburb of Lansing, Mich.

Dana Nessel, Michigan’s attorney general, announced the charges on Thursday at an afternoon news conference. Mr. Geddert faces 20 counts of human trafficking — including 14 counts of forced labor resulting in injury and six counts of trafficking a minor — as well as charges of racketeering, first-degree criminal sexual conduct, second-degree criminal sexual assault and lying to a police officer.
We just recently watched a documentary on Netflix called Athlete A that chronicles the Nassar story. I hope everyone involved in perpetrating and covering up these horrors dies in a gigantic tire fire.
Nassar’s police interview/interrogation is sickening. He really feels like if he uses medical terminology that people will say, “you’re the doctor, if you say so.” And let him walk. It was honestly chilling.
It made Mrs Tif nauseous. It's just inhuman and disgusting and my imagination is still actively trying to figure out more creative ways to make that guy suffer.
That Athlete A doc was chilling.

NPR was talking this morning about how the human trafficking part was added to make things as bad as possible for him, which is good. Not really traditional “human trafficking,” but they made it work.